Its really HOT.

DS

Fenderbender
I`m up here in Ontario Canada,and yesterday I bought a thermometer and hung it in the back of my p800.At 1:30 PM it read 122F.Thats pretty hot ,us eskimos aren`t used to it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I used to have a small engine shop that was set up behind the guys house. He also raised cattle and horses, and had a large spring fed water tank for them. Constantly fresh water in, several hundred gallons per hour, always spotlessly clean. Most days, while he was making out the Cod's, I would take my shirt off and plunge in down to the navel. Always really cold too, 60-65F at all times. Sometimes even went in for seconds.

Susie

Interesting link with many interesting ideas. I liked this one.
  1. Try the yoga practice of ****ali pranayama. Sit down cross legged and take a few deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling slowly. Roll your tongue into a tube with the tip outside the mouth. Continuing slow deep breath, breath in through the tube and then move your chin to your chest as you breath out through your nose. Do that 5-10 times and you should start to feel cooler. Dogs often use their tongues to cool themselves, perhaps this yoga practice comes from noticing that.

Dogs also use their tongue to do grooming in certain areas as well. Wonder what management would think of a driver on road using this method. ;)

d

Last edited:

wornoutupser

True,
There is a neighborhood in Lakeland, FL that is famous for "ups man attacks."
There is a stop sign that has houses on all 4 sides and in the summer the kids lie in wait for the ups truck. When it gets there, it is a 4 way water hose attack on the truck. Some drivers now carry water guns to shoot back!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
wornoutupser said:
True,
There is a stop sign that has houses on all 4 sides and in the summer the kids lie in wait for the ups truck. When it gets there, it is a 4 way water hose attack on the truck. Some drivers now carry water guns to shoot back!

I wish they would do that to me on my area!

B

BROWN OBSERVER

was delivering in this out of the way resi stop...had traffic backing up and was curious why...this lady was watering her yard in the skimpiest bikini....................reminds me of the scene in the movie 'FRIDAY"......................Chris Tucker and Ice Cube sees this woman watering her yard in a sexy way..HEY MISS PARKER!!!

UnderPaidSucka

Last week me and another driver took lunch at the same time. His girlfriend works at the local Days Inn. So for the last week or so we both would go there and swim in the pool during our lunch break.
Until last week when my on car sup came out to track us down to give me a misload. He was somewhat concerned about two trucks parked outside the Days Inn, and even more shocked to find me changing back into my browns inside the truck. After some explaing. We are know the laughing stock of the center. Also known as the two brownies that just came out of the closet. :w00t:

T

Thebrowntruth

wornoutupser said:
True,

We have a similar version here in some of our inner city routes. Its the same kind of attacks and the same thing for the kids in hiding but darn if those little stinkers misplaced the water and replaced it with hollow point bullets! Just another way to lose more bodily fluids out on the route i guess. Oh the variety of workplace issues we have

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ohio under heat advisory
Statement as of 8:10 PM EDT on August 1, 2006

... Heat advisory remains in effect until 8 PM EDT Wednesday...

A heat advisory remains in effect until 8 PM EDT Wednesday.

Tonight there will be little relief from the muggy conditions.
Temperatures will only drop into the middle 70s inland and 75 to
80 closer to Lake Erie and humidity levels will remain high.

Wednesday will be another hot day with the heat index expected to
rise to the 100 to 104 degree range.

A heat advisory is issued when high humidities are expected to
combine with hot temperatures to make it feel like it is 100 to
104 degrees for several hours. Persons in the area are advised to
avoid prolonged work in sun... or in poorly ventilated areas.
Also... keep plenty of liquids on hand and try to stay in an air
conditioned environment.

We can all rest assured that we can stay in well air conditioned places with plenty of ventilation in our vehicles. At least we dont work in the sun.

120 in my cab today, how about yours......

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
Anyone know if there has been a UPSer to loose consciousness in a hub/center yet during this heat wave? This is absurd we had 98 degrees at 6pm yester-evening.

teamsterdan

since you asked....addison IL, not where I'm @ but we get loads from there....yesterday early morning, on a nite sort/load.... a 40 y/o male had a heart attack, was revived briefly then, died on site...... I've been looking for info on - line since yesterday, I can't find JACK.... that's what I'm pissed off abt. (no apology/info from either the union or ups)....... the info I have is from multiple feeder dr's, that and the fact that our addison load was late and instead of break, had a safety pcm, (worksheets) no mention of the accident/incident...... just a few "make sure you drink water".......It bothers the hell outta me because it demonstrates how they really view us... "expendable"....before anyone jumps on me for saying that......I do believe/know for a fact that 99.9% of the jobs @ ups are physically demanding and also believe that we as employees have an obligation to either be "fit enough" to do the work or not be and suck it up, that being said DEATH is unacceptable regardless and to not acknowledge the very existence of the event makes a deafening statement........RIP unknown soldier of the brown army.....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I love summer and yes its hot, and no big deal for most of us, if we are in good health. I did hear of a young football athlete in FL I think dropped dead at practicce, now thats sad. We can all survive it, I was just saying, a little consideration during extremely hot or cold times, thats all.

A

Anonymous Brown Clown

Back in package car had a route in the hood on the news weekly for homicides, so for fear of being robbed or shot sorted in back with the doors closed. Earlier driver was robbed hog tied and shut in back luckily not on a hot day, could have been fatal. On hot days drake over 2.5 gallons of water never once had to visit the restroom. Noticed other package cars had fans in them so asked them how come they have fans, they said just to write up a request in the DVIR, made world of difference. In feeders now, got stuck shifting on 103 degree, 120 heat index day, shifters have no a/c. The shifter/bird was just as hot as the back of a package car sitting on top of a giant engine operating at 180 plus degrees heat rises after all. Like stated earlier a/c in package car would only really help on trip out and back, same concept with feeders. Drivers with road runs benefit as they are in the tractor long enough to cool down. But in town drivers are in and out too often for it to cool the cab much, but knock down the heat from the from the 180 plus degrees engine. Unless you leave the tractor running, however the onboard computer keeps track of idle time and excessive means discipline, as they look at it as your stealing especially with high fuel cost. Put digital thermometer in tractors cab that keeps track of max high and low, reset at beginning of shift registered high of 193 degrees with a/c running max whenever the engine was running. A/C performance may vary from tractor to tractor. Not trying to say or pretend that heat is as bad in feeders as in package car just provide a little insight. It's kind of like the drivers that deliver shopping malls and large buildings with a/c most the day some are luckier than others. On final note it was the hottest month of July on record here since the "Dust Bowl" 1936.

rushfan

One benefit of working for ups is I can bake my food in the back of the package car. At the end of 11 hours, the food is slow roasted.

Nothing like grabbing your hand truck, and it burns your hands.

xkingx

One benefit of working for ups is I can bake my food in the back of the package car. At the end of 11 hours, the food is slow roasted.

Nothing like grabbing your hand truck, and it burns your hands.

The back bumper kept burning my legs..i actually started warning my customers who come out and to get their pkgs, do not stand too close to thebumper...of course majority of them had to touch with their hands..like i was lying:tongue_sm

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The shelves themselves in back of my P7 are hot to the touch. Besides the obvious danger to drivers and our DIADS, what about our packages? How do candles, chocolate, makeup, steaks, seafood and insulin handle the heat. Another argument to AC in Package Cars like our competitors have. This has been a rather hot summer, worse than most. We had a High School Junior die from it last week on a football field. We are in it for ten- eleven hours a day. The summer will be over eventually, I have been in Package twenty-two years and will survive. Then volume starts picking up slowly towards peak........