Its Time to Rally the Troops

over9five

Staff member
(never understood why you would piss off an employee first thing in the morning and then send them out to represent your business)

I've never thought of it like that, but ain't it the truth! And it's every day too. Very rarely do you hear anything positive in the pcm. Imagine what we could accomplish with a pat on the back every morning! (Or, God forbid, someone actually says, "Nice job!")

<sigh> but that will never happen...

rod

Retired 22 years
I haven't had a raise since 2001- (remember that all of you dreaming about retirement) SAVE-SAVE-SAVE:happy2:

D

Dear Rodney

Hey UPSER 1994 you must still be pretty wet behind the ears!! Try my shoes on everyday and then tell me we don't deserve our 70K per year. I don't think you would cut it as a driver. Guys like you make me puke!! Talking about a ready-mix driver making $2000 per week; those drivers earn every penny, also they start early and work late taking care of their contractors on the jobs they do!

scoobypanda

The company, as presently set-up, is far too compartmentalized. I have had oncar supes saying screw the preload for a year, going to preload feb 1st and saying screw the dayside by feb 2nd. My mgmt team is only concerned w/ their numbers, not the big picture. Hopefully Scott Davis will see the obvious mistake of squeezing the $9 hour preload, then paying the $27 hour drivers and ??$$?? per year supes to fix mistakes. You propose working together, yet in 15 years, it is my mgmt team that tries to beat each other up and look better than the next guy, not the drivers. Lead by example and we will follow, but please don't give lip-service to every flavor of the month directive, bash other managers and supes, attack and belittle hourlies, cover your own butts at all cost, then ask us to get you sales leads and work with you. Lead by example, talk is cheap.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Imagine what we could accomplish with a pat on the back every morning! (Or, God forbid, someone actually says, "Nice job!")

<sigh> but that will never happen...

Actually the other day we were praised for handling a stupid heavy day with much hard work and ambition. Anyway, the powers that be suggested that we have pizza ordered for us for when we came in at the end of the day. Although this sounded all fine and dandy during the PCM, 5 of us drivers (including myself) got violently ill from said pizza. Although, this is no fault of management, I just wanted to let everyone know that for quite possibly the first time in UPS history, employees started the day with a pat on the back.

Oh Boy! Another non-registered popup coming in to tell us how ungrateful we all are. This may sound like an attack, but I still call BS on this rant. Did you just get out of SBTS? (or whatever they call it these days)

I am amazed at the lack of respect that both hourlies and supervisors have for our company. Keep this in mind, every post on here comes from a self proclaimed "hard worker." Even people who do nothing day in and day out think they "work hard."
Oh pray tell who would that be? How would you know if someone is actually working hard of doing nothing? Seriously.
Due to our make up, there are 2 ways for UPS to continue to compete with FedEx and DHL...1 increase our volume 2 decrease payroll expense.
As mentioned in previous responses, wrong, many ways to reduce expenses. Payroll is just the largest expense, so it's the easiest target.
Fact of life. UPS will always try to get the most out of us. I take pride in working for a company with so many people that bust their butts every day.
I personally take pride in doing a job well in as short of time as possible. Busting my butt everyday, yet trying to save enough of me to come back the next day and go again.
Next time you want to complain, think about our fathers, or grandfathers, and think about what they'd do to make the money and have the benefits that we have. I can't believe how many whiners we have at UPS, and in our country period.
I know what my Dad would have done if a boss came to him every morning saying (or insinuating that he was "featherbedding") or outright accusing him of dishonesty, let me tell you it wouldn't have been pretty. You don't pay me enough money to have the right to degrade me.

Remember, those of you that complain about the part time wage, talk to your stewards and business agents. The drivers aren't complaining...why? Because the union values them and always makes their pay a priority when negotiating. I would love to see p/t employees start at a higher wage. It would help me staff my operation. Our profits do not go into the pocket of the CEO.
<cough> Excuse me? I don't know if you are stupid or if you think we all are? Every penny that goes into the CEO's pocket is from our profits, from OUR hard work.
They go toward reinvestment in our technology, acquisitions, and planning for the future. Because of our union environment, which I accept and am not complaining about, we can't compete with other shipping companies without cutting payroll expense. We have restructured management stock allotments, pensions, 401K's and benefits recently to cut (or at least spread) cost. Do you know that?
Yes I did know that. Let me tell you, I haven't talked to s sup that is happy about it either. Ya see, hourlies aren't the only ones that complain. How about cutting needless delays in a driver's production time? If every center in UP$ would get the drivers on the road just 15 minutes earlier everyday it would decrease expenses, by giving the driver a larger window of delivery. Our sups MUST turn in three account leads everything they ride with a driver. Sounds good huh? What this does is create needless delays in delivery time because the driver is the one that has to spend time following up on worthless leads. Unproductive time cuts back on delivery time. Managers and supervisors (not hourly employees) have seen cuts and changes to help the company in the eyes of our investors. I'm a supervisor, and I'm not complaining. I see the long-term need. All of this in an effort to continue to provide top notch benefits to the hourly employees, and continue with raises for everyone.
The worst thing that ever happened to UP$ as major company in the USA was the plan hatched by the upper management to push us into the public traded market. We didn't need that influx of cash from the "investors". BTW, Investors= greedy people wanting to capitalize on someone else's hard work. The majority of "investors" is UP$ upper management.
Speaking of raises. Does anyone realize that getting a raise every year is not the norm? I have friends who haven't received a raise since 9/11. Ours, both management and hourly, happen every year. Maybe not as much as we'd like, but they happen. (Very few management people don't get annual raises).
Do you realize that in the months following 9/11 few companies experienced a return to normal business levels that UP$ enjoyed? I saw a relatively small drop in our volume during that time compared to the rest of the nation.
Where else can you go and make $70,000+ a year, have full benefits, a pension (if the Teamsters manage it right) and not even have a high school diploma? Where?? Hard work?....yes, a bad job?...not even close.
Ahhh, ya got me there. Where else do employees have to be told day in and day out, "Do more in less time", even if it kills you. Ya know, everyone has a limit of what they can physically do and just because some bean counter in an office looks at a list of numbers saying it is possible, it don't make it so.
STOP WHINING AND LET'S GO GET SOME MORE CUSTOMERS AND CREATE MORE JOBS.
EVERYDAY I HEAR SUPERVISORS AND MANAGERS WHINING, DRIVERS DON'T HAVE A MONOPOLY ON THAT. IN FACT I AM WILLING TO BET YOU DO SOME OF THAT YOURSELF.
LET'S ALL FOCUS ON WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO AND GET IT DONE.
PARDNER, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I FOCUS ON EARNING A LIVING AND BUILDING A FUTURE FOR MYSELF, AND I'M MAKING HEADWAY.AND IF UPS IS NOT FOR YOU, DON'T CRY, DON'T FILE 20 GRIEVENCES A WEEK,
THAT'S SIMPLE, DON'T VIOLATE THE CONTRACT 100 TIMES A WEEK AND NO ONE WILL HAVE REASON TO FILE GRIEVANCE ONE.
DON'T COMPLAIN THAT YOU WORK TOO MUCH, MOVE ON TO SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR YOU.
RHETORIC

U

UPSer since 1994

I would just like to clarify a couple of my comments that seem to have been taken the wrong way. I am not suggesting that people don't file grievences in circumstances where they are warranted. I am suggesting that if your life becomes an eternal struggle to "stick it to the management team" then you should be looking to find a job where you can be comfortable. Also, I'm not saying that our CEO, managers or myself are not getting paid from profits or the hard work of everyone. I'm saying that when we hear UPS's year end earnings, we assume that all this money is available for wages. All of it is not. If it was, we would be in sad shape for the future. Finally, I still maintain that my grandfather, who I know very well and have always respected, would look at some of these posts and laugh. Everyone comes from different backgrounds, I realize that. In fact, look at people that you work with. The ones that work hard, don't complain, and keep plugging. I know, "they're stupid because they're getting used and abused," right??? I don't buy that. I think these men and women are what we should strive to be. Just my thought. I respect them far more than someone who doesn't do their best each day in an effort to keep their dispatch down.

Not SBTS anymore, SLS (supervisor leadership school), and no, I'm not fresh out. Thanks for reading my thoughts whether you agree or disagree. I also took the time to read everyone's replies.

doctor brown 688

frombluetobrown,
I'll use a few examples from my own ctr. that reminded me of when I used to work on a military installation. 1) Water valve on emergency shower 700 dollar not including labor and took months to get installed. 2)Had roll around steel covered docks for peak season made for thousands then shoved them over the hill after peak,then had them hauled off.Same with temporary metal shelves for rental trucks.Was told by corporate they had to be disposed of because they couldn't be sitting on property(like we won't have peak again?)3)I've seen them pay two people to go around and make pick ups to keep from showing one of the drivers on road(feeder p/u's where a package driver goes with him and sheets the p/u's in diad),numbers game to make package sups numbers better, but spent twice the money.4)Feeders can't idle tractors because of excess fuel cost, but daily we leave overhead doors open on the local sort with the heat on full blast,just because we want the drivers off the clock as soon as possible instead of taking a couple extra minutes opening and closing a door? 5) Spending "excess" money at years end so they can get that money in the next years budget.The list goes on and on. May be a bad choice of words, but like I said reminded me of an old job I had for a contractor on a base.

HazMatMan

Speaking of raises. Does anyone realize that getting a raise every year is not the norm? I have friends who haven't received a raise since 9/11. Ours, both management and hourly, happen every year. Maybe not as much as we'd like, but they happen. (Very few management people don't get annual raises). Where else can you go and make $70,000+ a year, have full benefits, a pension (if the Teamsters manage it right) and not even have a high school diploma? Where?? Hard work?....yes, a bad job?...not even close. STOP WHINING AND LET'S GO GET SOME MORE CUSTOMERS AND CREATE MORE JOBS. LET'S ALL FOCUS ON WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO AND GET IT DONE. AND IF UPS IS NOT FOR YOU, DON'T CRY, DON'T FILE 20 GRIEVENCES A WEEK, DON'T COMPLAIN THAT YOU WORK TOO MUCH, MOVE ON TO SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR YOU.
Getting a raise every year is not the norm?? So what is the norm?? Also, I may be wrong on this, but I think you need at least a high school diploma to work at UPS. I find it really hard to believe you have been at UPS since 94 and think like you do.

FromBluetoBrown

frombluetobrown,
I'll use a few examples from my own ctr. that reminded me of when I used to work on a military installation. 1) Water valve on emergency shower 700 dollar not including labor and took months to get installed. 2)Had roll around steel covered docks for peak season made for thousands then shoved them over the hill after peak,then had them hauled off.Same with temporary metal shelves for rental trucks.Was told by corporate they had to be disposed of because they couldn't be sitting on property(like we won't have peak again?)3)I've seen them pay two people to go around and make pick ups to keep from showing one of the drivers on road(feeder p/u's where a package driver goes with him and sheets the p/u's in diad),numbers game to make package sups numbers better, but spent twice the money.4)Feeders can't idle tractors because of excess fuel cost, but daily we leave overhead doors open on the local sort with the heat on full blast,just because we want the drivers off the clock as soon as possible instead of taking a couple extra minutes opening and closing a door? 5) Spending "excess" money at years end so they can get that money in the next years budget.The list goes on and on. May be a bad choice of words, but like I said reminded me of an old job I had for a contractor on a base.

yeah I remember those days especially number 5. Our squadron wouldn't fly all summer but come September with the end of the fiscal year in October coming around we would launch 6-7 sorties a day 7 days a week to boost up our budget numbers. But yeah military did waste alot and now I get what you were saying

I would just like to clarify a couple of my comments that seem to have been taken the wrong way. I am not suggesting that people don't file grievences in circumstances where they are warranted. I am suggesting that if your life becomes an eternal struggle to "stick it to the management team" then you should be looking to find a job where you can be comfortable. Also, I'm not saying that our CEO, managers or myself are not getting paid from profits or the hard work of everyone. I'm saying that when we hear UPS's year end earnings, we assume that all this money is available for wages. All of it is not. If it was, we would be in sad shape for the future. Finally, I still maintain that my grandfather, who I know very well and have always respected, would look at some of these posts and laugh. Everyone comes from different backgrounds, I realize that. In fact, look at people that you work with. The ones that work hard, don't complain, and keep plugging. I know, "they're stupid because they're getting used and abused," right??? I don't buy that. I think these men and women are what we should strive to be. Just my thought. I respect them far more than someone who doesn't do their best each day in an effort to keep their dispatch down.

Not SBTS anymore, SLS (supervisor leadership school), and no, I'm not fresh out. Thanks for reading my thoughts whether you agree or disagree. I also took the time to read everyone's replies.

I try not to read between the lines in posts, that often leads to problems. So I reply to what is posted, not to what I "think" you might mean.
No I wouldn't say that the people that never complain and keep plugging along are stupid and I would not assume they are used and abused either. What I would say is that either they are satisfied with their daily routine or too timid/afraid to say anything. I know of people in our center that fit both categories. I know a couple of guys that thrive on overtime. Why I have no idea. I also know a couple that are so afraid of getting fired they would never dream of complaining about anything to management. I have no desire to become the latter, and will only fit into the former if I am truly happy with my circumstance at a given time. And it does happen from time to time, I don't complain all the time, mainly because I know the people I have available to complain to can do nothing to help.
I would be willing to bet your Grandfather never worked for UP$. Oh I am also willing to bet that the people that don't "do their best each day in an effort to keep their dispatch down" as you assert are doing more than trying to keep the dispatch down. They are pacing themselves for longevity as well as trying to keep the dispatch from being inflated(not the same thing at all).

mule

I'm saying that when we hear UPS's year end earnings, we assume that all this money is available for wages. All of it is not. If it was, we would be in sad shape for the future.

Who is assuming that all profits are split up for wages? Are you assuming that hourlies don't understand retained earnings. Most hourlies might not know the exact word for earnings that are keep, but they surely understand that some earnings are reinvested back into the company.

Most sups and mangers that I have contact with believe that their position allows them with some special knowledge. Most have very limited business knowledge, and they refuse to except that fact they only pull a lever in a large system. There is very little difference between a supervisor and an hourly.

I am suggesting that if your life becomes an eternal struggle to "stick it to the management team" then you should be looking to find a job where you can be comfortable.

Should management be asking why some hourlies might have this perspective. If management would only treat hourlies like internal customers, then maybe this perspective would change. Instead of targeting hourlies at work for production issues, manager should try couching and leading those that seem to need the most help. I would think this would not only be beneficial to management but also for the hourly.

Lastly, I would think that if management talked to hourlies more with respect, there would be more cooperation and motivation from the hourly. Make sense to me.

diesel96

If you want to rally the troops Mr Upser since 1994', may I suggest you stick to your little corner of the universe and make a difference their. By lashing out to us on a nat'l level in a anonymus state shows indirectly your own incapabilities of not getting the job done at your end. So you vent out your fustrations of failure towards Brown Cafe members who specifically use this site for a variety of reasons and yes to blow off some steam and vent as well. Some do deserve some criticsism and members let them know about it. So come out of the closet and remove the vail you hide behind, and your respect level will jump significantly and then maybe you can talk some rhyme and reason onto deaf ears.