Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton

Has Jesse Jackson and Al Shaprton taken the Imus issue too far?

• Yes

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

705red

Browncafe Steward
I dont believe in racism, but imus caters to a certain crowd who seems to accept his points of views. Theres a saying you dont like what your hearing change the station!

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
I dont believe in racism, but imus caters to a certain crowd who seems to accept his points of views. Theres a saying you dont like what your hearing change the station!
So, you are saying that if someone does not like what Jesse Jackson and/or Al Sharpton are saying, that someone can change the station.

I think Imus was trying to use street jargon. I doubt that he knew the implications of what he was saying. (His attempts to apologize contain some more of these sad/funny/strange attempts to sound cool, with-it, hip, now, rad. He still doesn't know what he is saying, and he can't admit it.)

We recently had a Danish family visit for a couple of weeks. The teenagers picked up saying the phrase "Whazzup, n****r?" Luckily, we put a stop to that. Mostly.

Overpaid Union Thug

So, you are saying that if someone does not like what Jesse Jackson and/or Al Sharpton are saying, that someone can change the station.

I think Imus was trying to use street jargon. I doubt that he knew the implications of what he was saying. (His attempts to apologize contain some more of these sad/funny/strange attempts to sound cool, with-it, hip, now, rad. He still doesn't know what he is saying, and he can't admit it.)

We recently had a Danish family visit for a couple of weeks. The teenagers picked up saying the phrase "Whazzup, n****r?" Luckily, we put a stop to that. Mostly.

I don't think his attempt at using street jargon was worth firing hime over. I don't like the guy. Never did. But I was hoping people would get over this. It is rediculous. He didn't deserve to have his show cancelled. I wish someone would take out Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. The Duke lacross players should sue them both. And speaking of that scandel.....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265187,00.html

And there is an interesting piece from Michael Savage. He is a bit extreme at times but I can't help but agree with him. 90% of the time anyway.

diadlover

This is reverse racism at it's finest. Activists are just using Imus as a springboard to cause a commotion and get their voices heard. I can understand why everyone got upset with Michael Richards but what Imus said was and should be treated as a joke. Lighten up.

over9five

Staff member
The word "Ho" is used in 95% of all rap songs.
Where are Jesse and Al on that?

Oh, I see. It's ok for black people to call their women "hos", but not white people.

And to take this off subject.... What the friend is Imus thinking? He's like 70, and has that rock star hairdo. Looks like an idiot.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The word "Ho" is used in 95% of all rap songs.
Where are Jesse and Al on that?

Oh, I see. It's ok for black people to call their women "hos", but not white people.

And to take this off subject.... What the friend is Imus thinking? He's like 70, and has that rock star hairdo. Looks like an idiot.
Thats offensive 9.5 i think you need to resign your handle. That will not be tolerated, people are intitled to their hairdos wiyhout judgement. You have 5 mins to comply or ill call jesse.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I would like to apologize to Mr Imus. My remarks were taken out of context. I'm really not a bad guy.....
Not buying it. We will be picketing your super cut location where you get a hair cut until your banned from this forum! Dont make me call jesse, do whats right.

Channahon

Retired NBA star Hardaway says he hates 'gay people'

I just don't remember if Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton responded to this comment.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Lets see if Jesse offers to pay the duke Lacrosse boys education, as he was going to do for her. Im not big on lawsuits but this woman isnt going to be prosecuted, because she is manic depressive. So did that give her unfettered access to ruin these guys lives, and put them on hold til the justice system got off its arse and handled it.
I can only say that I feel if the victims, defendants had been reversed, their would be rioting in the streets.

tieguy

Banned
I'm enjoying every minute of this one.

I can't stand Imus.

I can't stand Al or Jesse. I have a little more respect for Jesse because he has been able to negotiate hostage releases in some situations where we had no other options. Both live for these events to justify thier existence.

Imus started his joke by referencing how tough looking the rutgers girls were. He then went in a completely different direction when he made the reference of their looking like "nappy headed ho's.

Poor joke. Some of the players are white. Did he also mean to call the white players this or was he referencing only the black players.

Bad bad bad joke.

He should have apologized and shut his mouth instead of trying to alibi it further.

To me I don't look at this as a Imus or Al or jesse issue I look at it as a "what if my daughter played ball for rutgers" issue.

no reason to slam those players. Leave the kids who are going to college and playing sports out of the jokes.

He should have gotten spanked don't think he should have lost his job. He probably thinks he gained points with the liberals for slamming bush and therefore thought he could get away with it. His liberal support slowed the story from developing but did not stop it. After all Al has bills to pay.

Sammie

MHO-

I fail to fathom the value of Shock Jock entertainment in the first place. I think the Imus's, the Howard Sterns, are
total morons. But others find them highly amusing.

I also don't get how the music industry can put out certain garbage. I admit I'm over the top, but the work of Grammy and Academy Award winner (?) Eminem and a few others aren't found in this house. My kid won't be hearing any more than he has to about how he can do whatever to his mother
and his sister...

Jesse and Al have accomplished some great things yet I also
find them to be opportunists at times.

BUT, this time I can't find fault with the Imus mission. The idiot went too far.

I don't enjoy some of my friends who are mixed couples telling me they get yelled at when they walk their kids to school. In this day and age. And I don't live in Alabama or Mississippi. We're in Colorado. Some of these people don't even go out to dinner any more because of the idiotic behavior they have to put up with.

There are mixed couples within my own family and I won't even start with the racism they have and will always have to
endure.

This one ain't funny, folks.

Overpaid Union Thug

MHO-

I fail to fathom the value of Shock Jock entertainment in the first place. I think the Imus's, the Howard Sterns, are

I also don't get how the music industry can put out certain garbage. I admit I'm over the top, but the work of Grammy and Academy Award winner (?) Eminem and a few others aren't found in this house. My kid won't be hearing any more than he has to about how he can do whatever to his mother
and his sister...

BUT, this time I can't find fault with the Imus mission. The idiot went too far.

I don't enjoy some of my friends who are mixed couples telling me they get yelled at when they walk their kids to school. In this day and age. And I don't live in Alabama or Mississippi. We're in Colorado. Some of these people don't even go out to dinner any more because of the idiotic behavior they have to put up with.

There are mixed couples within my own family and I won't even start with the racism they have and will always have to
endure.

I find fault in the Imus mission in that he was basically fired for a VERY poor attempt at being funny. It was nothing more than a poor attempt at talking "Hip Hop Language." It was taken totally out of context. When he starts burning crosses and lynching blacks then, AND ONLY THEN, should ole Jesse and Al come out of their Racial Bat Cave. I saw an interview with "Snoop Dog" where he was responding to people accusing rappers of doing the same thing. You know....double standard. Do you want to know what his reasoning for it was? Why he said it was ok for rappers to smear women and call them "HOs" and the "N Word"??? Ok...here is the good part...He said it was ok because "When they say it it's ART because it's comming from their hearts." That had me rolling.

Sammie

I find fault in the Imus mission in that he was basically fired for a VERY poor attempt at being funny. It was nothing more than a poor attempt at talking "Hip Hop Language." It was taken totally out of context. When he starts burning crosses and lynching blacks then, AND ONLY THEN, should ole Jesse and Al come out of their Racial Bat Cave. I saw an interview with "Snoop Dog" where he was responding to people accusing rappers of doing the same thing. You know....double standard. Do you want to know what his reasoning for it was? Why he said it was ok for rappers to smear women and call them "HOs" and the "N Word"??? Ok...here is the good part...He said it was ok because "When they say it it's ART because it's comming from their hearts." That had me rolling.

I guess it's hard to know where to draw the line. We all have our tolerance levels......

waldo911

MHO-

and his sister...

endure.

Sammie,
I live in Mississippi and take offense to your comments.
I've lived all over the country and have found that there are
less racial issues in this state than there are anywhere else
i've been. I understand that Mississippi has had a checkered past, but the people here have put that behind them. It's the rest of the country that can't seem to move on. The first
time I ever heard a derogatory term referencing Hispanics was
when I was in Colorado, (beaners). Sounds like all the hippies
that moved to the mountains are racist.
God Bless America and all of Gods children.

Channahon

At least Jesse is addressing the music industry regarding language used by Rapppers.
CBS) CHICAGO The spotlight on indecent speech is shifting from recently fired radio host Don Imus to the rap world.

As CBS 2's Rafael Romo reports, the Rev. Jesse Jackson wants to end racist and sexist lyrics in music.

Jackson said the use of the "n" word and others in rap music are just as bad as the racist comments that got shock jock Imus fired.

Jackson also blames record companies.

“They record the music, they finance the videos, they are beyond the videos, they do the distribution and they must become our partners in ending the trail of smut and degradation,” said Jackson, president of the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

At a press conference, Jackson also said the Imus issue is an opportunity for a national dialogue to end bigotry.

“I think it's really important to realize this is not just an African American issue; it's also a female issue,” said DePaul University law student Mary Butterton.

Media executive Marv Dyson, who has had to fire on-air personalities for insensitive comments, also said it is time to think about the messages in some of the music we buy.

“I hope this is really the beginning of really getting on record companies to get them to really check what they're doing, and what they're offering, and what they're selling, and what they're allowing their artists to get away with,” Dyson said.

But he also says the first step must be taken at home.

“If parents all around the country got on the record companies’ case and really got active about it the same way a lot people got on the Don Imus' case, I think it would really make a difference,” he said.

Jackson said that the firing of Imus is a victory he doesn't gloat over and that in many ways he feels sorry for him.

He went to great lengths to emphasize the point that whereas he supports free speech, he will always resist indecent language.

Channahon

I support addressing the music industry with some rap music, that sometimes I can't believe I'm hearing, nor would want my 13 year old granddaughter to hear.

After all the media of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson regarding Imus, at least Jesse took it one step further.