"Job abandonment" mgmt. sent me home. Am I fired??

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have to agree. I was told by male mgmt that being off because of kids or drs appts were not really their concern. When and before I got hired. I was told this was why they did not like to hire women. And I would have to say rightly so. I told them I need a job and I have arranged for these things. In todays market someone would get canned for those kind of insinuations, but they do cause a problem to a company running on a tight time schedule.
So if you need childcare to make it to work, arrange for it. Your gfs lateness and her job should not take priority over yours, and it doesnt matter if she makes 80k and you are not. A job is a responsibility, and when you take it you agree to be there. I think Ive been late maybe 5xs in 23 yrs, maybe six and all during snowstorms where no one had left yet anyway. Once I did oversleep when the electric went off.
so 4 times in 8 months pretty much sucks in my opinion.

Mike Hawk

One employee was late 103 times in the 2007 calendar year on our preload, not to mention all the times he called in sick or just didn't show up.

HPLude

Returned to work today, punched in, listened to PCM, was sent home post PCM with steward present. Gotta call BA today and speak with him. Was assured that I will be returning to work tomorrow.

BrownShark

Banned
Returned to work today, punched in, listened to PCM, was sent home post PCM with steward present. Gotta call BA today and speak with him. Was assured that I will be returning to work tomorrow.

HP,

this is the best case scenario. In the future, everytime you jeopardize your job and career at UPS, put your child and his benefits first before you consider yourself. His welfare depends on you making the right decision.

Good luck when you return to your position.

Peace.:peaceful:

HPLude

Think I've been fired. Having a meeting with BA and FT Supe after tomorrows shift. Being told that I stole hours from UPS..

B

Brown Cow II

The only thing worse than an employee that does as little as possible is one that doesn't even bother to show up.

Agreed. You'd think that with a newborn, you'd do exactly everything by the rules. I know I wouldn't take the risk of losing excellent health benefits with a new baby...

And he said he couldn't find management during break? He couldn't have looked too hard...I'm willing to bet they were either sitting in the office or out having a smoke.

And all those who rag on Generation Y....we aren't all like that. Some of us do value a good job, never come in late, never make excuses or whine when it's our fault and no one else's that we are in hot water.

I mean, c'mon. The guy was a no call/no show once. That's just lazy and irresponsible.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
If you cant find your manager...ALWAYS find someone with a radio to get ahold of your sup....dont just leave a note by the time clock saying youre going home cause youre sick..

ML (Not Mylanta):happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
interesting case you have here. other posters are right you need to seek counsel from your steward and BA immediately.

As someone from the other side I'm going out on a limb. I'll do so because I would like to save the company the 2 grand it costs to replace you and because I don't believe we handled the case fairly. In doing so I'm taking a chance that I might be helping a problem employee return to work.

When you abandon your job the company does not need to get a steward involved. You left and did not notify management. You're gone.

However you were allowed to punch back in the next day. Once you do so the waters get muddied. At this point you may not no longer be an employee that abandoned their job but one that was discharged. Whenever we had a job abandonment issue in the past we always made sure they did not punch back in the next day.

If its now a discharge then you did not have representation.

You have 5 days to file your grievance , grieving the discharge.
WOW TIE!!!!!!! I'm impressed. I knew you could do it. You can be nice. LOL (oh:speechless: maybe I shouldn't have let the cat outta the bag)
:thumbsup:Just givin' ya a hard time. D

filthpig

The no call no show has been over 2 weeks now. Can they still use that against me?? Its been over 10 days.. Also one busy shift, my FT supe said "smash this trailer out and I'll forget everything (No call No show, lates)", I did so.
The no-call stays in your file for 9 months. good luck.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The no call stays in your file from now on. They can only use it for 9 months for disciplinary action, unless they need to prove a long term issue with the employee. Then they can use it over and over again as needed.

d

Jeri Linnert

After 8 years its been my experience that if they want you management will find a way to make things work out. If not your screwed. I was fired once for a situation that was totally fabricated by management. My word against their made up story. Fortunately I there were a few honest co-workers willing to step up to the plate on my behalf.

OnTheWay2TheTop

If you became dizzy, weren't you afraid you might have a terrible accident on the way home?

The hourly employees are such wimps these days. I feel dizzy and have to go home...waaawaa Give me a break. Man up and do your job. I would be all over your candy ass the next day, but prob wouldnt fire you depending on how good your work is.

stringerman85

Agreed. You'd think that with a newborn, you'd do exactly everything by the rules. I know I wouldn't take the risk of losing excellent health benefits with a new baby...

And he said he couldn't find management during break? He couldn't have looked too hard...I'm willing to bet they were either sitting in the office or out having a smoke.

And all those who rag on Generation Y....we aren't all like that. Some of us do value a good job, never come in late, never make excuses or whine when it's our fault and no one else's that we are in hot water.

I mean, c'mon. The guy was a no call/no show once. That's just lazy and irresponsible.

Yeah so sick of the "generation y" crap....You know, some of your older guys are the laziest people in the building, and not to mention all of the management who people say make the dumbest decisions are not "generation y" age people, lol....And I have to also say that a majority of the drivers are the ones who b--ch, b--ch, b--ch about everyone god darn thing..Most of who are not generation y....b--ch about 1hr lunches, b--ch about buying brown socks etc etc etc...you have a high paying job with great benefits appreciate it!!!

raceanoncr

The hourly employees are such wimps these days. I feel dizzy and have to go home...waaawaa Give me a break. Man up and do your job. I would be all over your candy ass the next day, but prob wouldnt fire you depending on how good your work is.

THAT'S the attitude I like to see out of management or management wannabees! Hope you enjoy your ride to the top!