Job details of a Swing/Cover Driver?

AndrewK

I know the main job requirement for a full time swing driver is to cover for bid drivers who are on vacation, call in sick, etc. But what other kind of work are given to swing drivers, say if there is no route to cover and that there still considered 'fulltime'.

Also, do swing drivers cover ANY route or are they just kept in a certain loop of routes that management knows they are stronger in, in terms of area knowledge?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I know the main job requirement for a full time swing driver is to cover for bid drivers who are on vacation, call in sick, etc. But what other kind of work are given to swing drivers, say if there is no route to cover and that there still considered 'fulltime'.

Also, do swing drivers cover ANY route or are they just kept in a certain loop of routes that management knows they are stronger in, in terms of area knowledge?
Don't let the job titles confuse you.

They all get in the same package cars and do the same thing....

Hump boxes.

Life is much simpler when you have less than zero expectations from our company...

Hope this helps.

Zowert

If you’re full time, cover or bid driver, you’re guaranteed 8 hours of work five days a week. If there is nothing for you to cover then they either have to find you work, like shuttling LIBs and miss loads or they lay you off.

If your a bid cover you sign up for routes weekly based on vacations or injuries. If there are no routes it’s based on seniority. So someone with a route can get laid off and you can fill in if they are a junior driver.

AndrewK

If you’re full time, cover or bid driver, you’re guaranteed 8 hours of work five days a week. If there is nothing for you to cover then they either have to find you work, like shuttling LIBs and miss loads or they lay you off.

I'm a full time swing driver, so I'm guaranteed 8 hrs work/5 days a week? So if there is no route available and if they assign me work and say it only takes 2-3 hours, by the supplement they have to make sure I have 8 hours of work?

542thruNthru

I'm a full time swing driver, so I'm guaranteed 8 hrs work/5 days a week? So if there is no route available and if they assign me work and say it only takes 2-3 hours, by the supplement they have to make sure I have 8 hours of work?
Depends, what supplement are you?