job insurance

upsman2940

You are absolutely correct by saying that. But the fact remains that ups has made the smallest of infractions the stepping stones to termination. I was just wondering if y'all had heard of it. We have obtained it. And it gives us a piece of mind knowing that they can fire us but I will be able to care for my family until I get to the panel. It takes 8/9 months for a termination to be heard.

trickpony1

The best way to ensure that your job is secure is by doing the best that you can within the guidelines established by your employer.

.....and hope your employer doesn't have people in management who feel the need to:

-force themselves and their philosophies and ideals upon you,
-teach you lessons,
-impart their prejudices upon you,
-act out their inflated ego upon you,
-patronize you and,
-direct their suppressed anger, hate and bitterness upon you.

other than this, you should be okay.

UPSGUY72

50 per month pays 850 a week for up to 1 year! You have to be a dues paying member.

Your wasting $50 month.

I would suspect there is a lot of fine print. Like you need to be out of work 30 or 60 days before you can start collecting. You most likely can't collect if you quit. If you collect unemployment you probably can't collect the full amount. Probably only the difference, ETC.

Last edited:

upsman2940

You start collecting on 8 th day! Good luck getting unemployment! They have been fighting it hard. The insurance company understands the difference between what ups calls dishonesty and what the word actually means. We have 3 fired for that and they received their first check on the 8th day paid from the first day of termination. Just a piece of mind. Obviously it depends on your situation. I don't sell it and was just wondering if it was something y'all knew about.

UPSGUY72

You start collecting on 8 th day! Good luck getting unemployment! They have been fighting it hard. The insurance company understands the difference between what ups calls dishonesty and what the word actually means. We have 3 fired for that and they received their first check on the 8th day paid from the first day of termination. Just a piece of mind. Obviously it depends on your situation. I don't sell it and was just wondering if it was something y'all knew about.

Don't need it never have never will. Do your job the right way and there isn't going to be a problem.

Also we make $30 hr you should have a nest egg built up in case of an emergency. However I do understand that there are some people that never can never make enough money because it burns a hole in there pocket.

JonFrum

THE TEAMSTERS and the CONTRACT THEY NEGOTIATED should be our job insurance, and your dues should more than cover the cost!!!

There's something wrong with the Teamsters doing a poor job defending jobs and the integrity of a swift, fair grievance process, and then making up for the delays by letting you pay additional money to fix what shouldn't be broken in the first place.

C

chuchu

You are absolutely correct by saying that. But the fact remains that ups has made the smallest of infractions the stepping stones to termination. I was just wondering if y'all had heard of it. We have obtained it. And it gives us a piece of mind knowing that they can fire us but I will be able to care for my family until I get to the panel. It takes 8/9 months for a termination to be heard.
A termination hearing is to happen (per the contract) within 10 days...for a local hearing anyway.

Do you have a phone number or web site for this insurance? Like to check it out. Working "within the guidelines established by your employer" doesn't keep ANYONE from being fired unjustly and some have been fired to cover up managements' mistakes. Did they get their job back? Yeah, but they didn't get back pay because some (with kids in college, etc) can't afford to keep losing money waiting for the panel. That is why the insurance is important UPSTATE.....doing a good job doesn't mean that you can't be fired for stupid infractions that aren't pre-meditated. That is why we have ID numbers instead of just a name ... at "the bottom of the food chain".

UPSGUY72

A termination hearing is to happen (per the contract) within 10 days...for a local hearing anyway.

Do you have a phone number or web site for this insurance? Like to check it out. Working "within the guidelines established by your employer" doesn't keep ANYONE from being fired unjustly and some have been fired to cover up managements' mistakes. Did they get their job back? Yeah, but they didn't get back pay because some (with kids in college, etc) can't afford to keep losing money waiting for the panel. That is why the insurance is important UPSTATE.....doing a good job doesn't mean that you can't be fired for stupid infractions that aren't pre-meditated. That is why we have ID numbers instead of just a name ... at "the bottom of the food chain".

Job insurance/ private unemployment insurance isn't worth it. Unless you plan on getting fired soon and or frequently. Just like all insurance the way it works and how much you pay for it depends on the state you live in.

Life insurance is important if you have a family, car insurance is important and the law, home owner insurance is important and required if you have a mortgage. Private unemployment insurance is a waste of money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have employee ID #'s because there have been cases of identity theft from supervisors and fellow employees "borrowing" Social Security numbers. We had one in my center.