Job offer at FEDEX

Brown_$$

So I’m currently stuck in a dilema and I need some opinions on what I should do. I’m currently a package handler with five months in. I got an offer at FedEx for a full time courier driver, should I take it or just wait until I become a driver at UPS (don’t have any idea how long that will take) I really want to stay at ups but I need that full time money especially since I have a baby on the way.

542thruNthru

So I’m currently stuck in a dilema and I need some opinions on what I should do. I’m currently a package handler with five months in. I got an offer at FedEx for a full time courier driver, should I take it or just wait until I become a driver at UPS (don’t have any idea how long that will take) I really want to stay at ups but I need that full time money especially since I have a baby on the way.
Express or ground???

542thruNthru

If it was ground I would say hell no.

Express is better than Ground but it's really up to you. Can you survive and provide while waiting for a FT driver job at UPS?

In the long run it will be better.
Higher pay, pension, healthcare and union protection.

This all will differ where you are but I don't know many FedEx driver's that would not switch places if they could.

Though express only delivers envelopes with the occasional 50lb pound of dog food. So there is that.

@Operational needs :)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The UPS insurance will be nice for having the baby. Any chance you can get at least another part time job while waiting to drive? How about air driving?

Brown_$$

The insurance is something I’m definitely looking forward to. I can start bidding for different jobs or full time in one more month
(6 months seniority).I’ve been double shifting since I started at ups and from what I hear from fellow coworkers, is that there’s enough hours to go around in peak season. I guess I’ll look into getting another part time job once peak is over. Decisions, decisions....

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
The insurance is something I’m definitely looking forward to. I can start bidding for different jobs or full time in one more month
(6 months seniority).I’ve been double shifting since I started at ups and from what I hear from fellow coworkers, is that there’s enough hours to go around in peak season. I guess I’ll look into getting another part time job once peak is over. Decisions, decisions....
Stay with UPS and find a part time job that works well with your present shift
The benefits and job security that UPS offers can not be beat
Keep your driving record clean and always sign any bid sheets that are up
Try double shifting or Saturdays for OT
Sometimes you have to just make yourself available and you can find extra work

GenericUsername

I also was in the same position some 5ish years ago about going to Fedex. I obviously stuck with UPS. The benefits outweighed the slight increase in income. What I was doing was working as many hours as possible during peak and saving that money and then just working my normal shifts + whatever driving stuff I could get at the time (Saturday air, shuttling during the week, covering a route from time to time.) It was a little worrisome at times throughout but I don't regret the decision as that insurance really came in handy over the past few years with the kiddo.

DOK

What is the hold up with becoming a driver at ups? We’re hiring off the street right now, daily.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Stay where you are. I’m at Express and have been for a long time. Our benefits are slowly being whittled away every year. There are couriers who haven’t topped out after 20 years. Your insurance wouldn’t kick in for 90 days and you would have to pay a few thousand for the baby’s birth. There Is no pension for new hires, only a matching 401k. Yes, you pay dues at UPS, but my insurance is a little over $50 a week with a high deductible.

The working environment is much better though than at UPS, less toxic. Management and hourly have a much better rapport. Also, you can transfer to different locations.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I got an offer at FedEx for a full time courier driver, I need that full time money especially since I have a baby on the way. so I will be taking the job and reapplying later at UPS with driving experience on my resume.
tenor.gif

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
OP, @Brown_$$,
Fast forward 35 years from now, calculate the total pay and pension benefits. Maybe @Operational needs can give you the FedEx numbers currently. If you tell us what local you are in we can give you the UPS numbers.

ouanling

Stay where you are. I’m at Express and have been for a long time. Our benefits are slowly being whittled away every year. There are couriers who haven’t topped out after 20 years. Your insurance wouldn’t kick in for 90 days and you would have to pay a few thousand for the baby’s birth. There Is no pension for new hires, only a matching 401k. Yes, you pay dues at UPS, but my insurance is a little over $50 a week with a high deductible.

The working environment is much better though than at UPS, less toxic. Management and hourly have a much better rapport. Also, you can transfer to different locations.

this

i dont even need to be working, im at UPS because insurance and other benefits are going to be worth 20,000$+ a year easily with my family of 4 and my medical history.
That's in Canada with free hospitals. In the US id be taking 50k a year easily just from insurance.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
OP, @Brown_$$,
Fast forward 35 years from now, calculate the total pay and pension benefits. Maybe @Operational needs can give you the FedEx numbers currently. If you tell us what local you are in we can give you the UPS numbers.
FedEx tops out around $30 an hour with some areas higher, some lower. None are close to the $40 you guys will be making by the end of this contract. Also, there is no top pay in sight for new hires. No pension either. Only a 401k that fedex puts a certain amount into. I’m sure it won’t be much.

One more thing, FedEx is trying to change schedules so that only PT couriers do the early deliveries and FT come in around 11:00 and work til 8:00. There are mass retirements going on now because no 30 year couriers want to work 11:00-8:00.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most UPS drivers at top rate earn between 80-100k a year. With all the overtime some make more. Current pensions are around $4500 a month with continuing health care.

DriverNerd

Most UPS drivers at top rate earn between 80-100k a year. With all the overtime some make more. Current pensions are around $4500 a month with continuing health care.
Most of the new Fedex drivers I talk to that ask about how much I make (the experienced ones already know) are blown away by how much I make in a year. And then I tell them I also get free benefits...

Staydryitsraining

FedEx tops out around $30 an hour with some areas higher, some lower. None are close to the $40 you guys will be making by the end of this contract. Also, there is no top pay in sight for new hires. No pension either. Only a 401k that fedex puts a certain amount into. I’m sure it won’t be much.

One more thing, FedEx is trying to change schedules so that only PT couriers do the early deliveries and FT come in around 11:00 and work til 8:00. There are mass retirements going on now because no 30 year couriers want to work 11:00-8:00.
Fed express drivers make 30 an hour ft to deliver envelopes in a ac cooled van? My gosh why come here?