Just for Salesguy (so you dont get confused there big guy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Posted hours and a door open to the public is the definition. Do you have posted hours and a door open to the public?
Hudson, I have posted that information several times. YEs and yes. The other information was posted for the other persons that offered excuses as to why possibly not.
d

Pushing On

This post seems to have veered off course. I thought its original intent was to show how people like salesguy think that we (UPS) will remain in business when we diss our customers needs so everything will look good on paper. To me UPS has always been the driver and them giving excellent service. This brings in and retains volume. Our prices our not competitive enough to just deliver packages and be an ass to our customers and their wants. Yea, we could save money by just doing what we want to and doing what would benefit us the most, but how long would it be before we had no customers at all, except maybe Salesguy. We do have to make money, but we also have got to keep happy customers.

This is my first post. So please don't take things the wrong way. This is ment to be constructive. I have been hourly and management and have worked here for over 20 years in different districts, regions. The thing I don't understand (and never will) is how we forget who the real boss is, the CUSTOMER! No matter what your job is with UPS the customer is the boss. If we can't do the job to THEIR expectations, we will no longer serve them. They make the choice. Everyone seems to want to split hairs on service issues. Use common sense, follow the guidelines and policies, but PLEASE the customer. UPS developed it's reputation on the driver being polite, honest, well groomed, professional and on time. As an organization we don't present these items as well as we need to. It was posted already, quit being a victim. Do your job to the point you know you have made a POSITIVE difference in the lives of your customers, be proud of your performance and feel good that you served the Customer, UPS and Yourself in the best possible way. If we can't do that, we will surely parish.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
This post seems to have veered off course. I thought its original intent was to show how people like salesguy think that we (UPS) will remain in business when we diss our customers needs so everything will look good on paper. To me UPS has always been the driver and them giving excellent service. This brings in and retains volume. Our prices our not competitive enough to just deliver packages and be an ass to our customers and their wants. Yea, we could save money by just doing what we want to and doing what would benefit us the most, but how long would it be before we had no customers at all, except maybe Salesguy. We do have to make money, but we also have got to keep happy customers.

oh yeah, i'm the idiot. where do YOU get the impression I do not care about servicing our customers?

this thread was started because dannyboy is loyal to fedex, yet pulling a pension from UPS and he wants to feel better about himself.

Johney

This is my first post. So please don't take things the wrong way. This is ment to be constructive. I have been hourly and management and have worked here for over 20 years in different districts, regions. The thing I don't understand (and never will) is how we forget who the real boss is, the CUSTOMER! No matter what your job is with UPS the customer is the boss. If we can't do the job to THEIR expectations, we will no longer serve them. They make the choice. Everyone seems to want to split hairs on service issues. Use common sense, follow the guidelines and policies, but PLEASE the customer. UPS developed it's reputation on the driver being polite, honest, well groomed, professional and on time. As an organization we don't present these items as well as we need to. It was posted already, quit being a victim. Do your job to the point you know you have made a POSITIVE difference in the lives of your customers, be proud of your performance and feel good that you served the Customer, UPS and Yourself in the best possible way. If we can't do that, we will surely parish.
Great post!

tourists24

oh yeah, i'm the idiot. where do YOU get the impression I do not care about servicing our customers?
I question it somewhat when you replied earlier about commit time for businesses.... "ground is guaranteed by end of day.... have a problem call the 800 number". I know the context was to Dannyboy, but this is a common attitude by mgt and poses a real problem for our customers.... My mall stays open til 9pm; you saying it's acceptable to be delivering them at 8:30pm?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I question it somewhat when you replied earlier about commit time for businesses.... "ground is guaranteed by end of day.... have a problem call the 800 number". I know the context was to Dannyboy, but this is a common attitude by mgt and poses a real problem for our customers.... My mall stays open til 9pm; you saying it's acceptable to be delivering them at 8:30pm?

no, close of business day is 5 pm.

i think they should run all the routes so the ground is delivered by 3 pm or as early as possible, but I dont get to make those decisions. i know they have to get the committed time volume off the truck first becasue that is what pays our paychecks.

i even submitted an idea to the idea submission page about making a guaranteed ground service...getting it there by 12 pm if a customer chooses to pay a few extra bucks....

they sent me a pen.

tourists24

no, close of business day is 5 pm.

i think they should run all the routes so the ground is delivered by 3 pm or as early as possible, but I dont get to make those decisions. i know they have to get the committed time volume off the truck first becasue that is what pays our paychecks.

i even submitted an idea to the idea submission page about making a guaranteed ground service...getting it there by 12 pm if a customer chooses to pay a few extra bucks....

they sent me a pen.
I thought close of business was what the business posted? If not I violate that everyday then.... there are days when I dont even get to the mall til 4:30...
We do have guaranteed ground service to certain businesses. They are SSI accounts. I have at least 9 or 10 on my route. How do you set those up?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

The example is an extreme but in regards to a "Guarantee", UPS Ground is a day-definite guaranteed service.
We have premium services that have time-definite guarantees.

We want customers to use our premium services - higher profit margin.

From UPS.com
UPS Ground
Get guaranteed, date-scheduled, cost-effective delivery for commercial and residential shipments
Delivery Commitment Day-definite delivery typically in one to five days

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I thought close of business was what the business posted? If not I violate that everyday then.... there are days when I dont even get to the mall til 4:30...
We do have guaranteed ground service to certain businesses. They are SSI accounts. I have at least 9 or 10 on my route. How do you set those up?

you dont get SSI account set up anymore. that was a good idea gone bad. most my my SSI accounts wernt getting air delivered until 11 or 1130 and that was a bad deal, they started doing air with fedex.

i think hoax is right...it is day definite....not time...so whenever it gets there as long as it is that day...it made service. that does suck you dont get to your mall around 430. the few malls in our area usually have their own truck or a route in the immediate area.

if you have an account that could drive more revenue to UPS based on earlier delivery time....i hate to say it...but talk to the BD person and put in a sales lead. if it can be done, seriously, management should be on board. it needs to be a win win for UPS and the customer (that is the reality these days)

tourists24

The example is an extreme but in regards to a "Guarantee", UPS Ground is a day-definite guaranteed service.
We have premium services that have time-definite guarantees.

We want customers to use our premium services - higher profit margin.

From UPS.com
UPS Ground
Get guaranteed, date-scheduled, cost-effective delivery for commercial and residential shipments
Delivery Commitment Day-definite delivery typically in one to five days
I was afraid you would say that... It's just a shame. Customers want to be able to set their watches by us like they used to. This is a huge selling point if we would still do it. Premium service may get a higher profit margin, but if we run customers off with poor service then there is NO profit margin. It may be an extreme case in my instance, but it is disgusting getting to a business at 8:15 at night when they are getting ready to shut down for the day

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Okay ... I closed the two threads. I think it has run it's course and managed to stay fairly civil. I compliment you both on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.