Just got fired, going to panel

Boonies

I don't think that you were accused of stealing a package, but rather stealing service. Unless the other driver coded out to break when he handled that package, the company paid him to handle it, the package took up room in a package car and the weight diminished the fuel efficiency. The argument I would offer is this. If I'm on break and buy a fountain soda and a candy bar, return to the building and give the candy bar to a coworker, would I be fired? Should I have paid the company to ship the candy bar? It's the same thing. So I guess they'll have to fire everyone. We all run errands for other drivers, with the hours we work, it's a necessity.

ibt

It's not the same as buying something at a store and bringing it back that's ok.Thats why I asked if the had a retail store if so he's off the hook. Now if they only ship packages and he was not charged shipping ups lost money.I agree weak case, they either had it out for this guy or sending a message.I also seen new mgmt come in and discharge employees for things other mgnt let them

Boonies

Before tracking labels were on every pkg, a senior part-timer was caught putting his personal pkgs into the system. He claimed that he thought he was allowed. Verbal warning. You're right, it's all about who the manager is and if he likes you.

Overpaid Union Thug

Big arrow I've been in operations almost as long as you been alive.Sat on panels,arbitrations and was vice president and president of local. Was present for over 250 ups discharge cases and seen and heard it all.Go ahead come to a panel and be a hard ass and watch the company dig in and deadlock it to the jac and you will be out 3 more months
Well with all your years of experience and wisdom you still are lacking in a few departments...Humility and common sense.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Big arrow I've been in operations almost as long as you been alive.Sat on panels,arbitrations and was vice president and president of local. Was present for over 250 ups discharge cases and seen and heard it all.Go ahead come to a panel and be a hard ass and watch the company dig in and deadlock it to the jac and you will be out 3 more months

I have read the posts by Xprez. I have no problem in the way he has stated what can happen at the panel. I would hope you can see past the way he presented it and hopefully learn something about what goes on at the panel. Its not any easy thing to take someone's job no matter what side of the table you sit on.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have read the posts by Xprez. I have no problem in the way he has stated what can happen at the panel. I would hope you can see past the way he presented it and hopefully learn something about what goes on at the panel. Its not any easy thing to take someone's job no matter what side of the table you sit on.

I really doubt ups would shed any tears when trying to get rid of someone and they have made it perfectly clear the last few years..you seem like a fair guy reading prior posts but don't try to sugar coat this...ups really doesn't care.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We had a former driver who was terminated for theft of services. He had taken a barcode label from the SRM book of one of his daily P/U customers to send a personal package. He got caught when the package was damaged and returned to the shipper. He threw away an $80K job trying to save $18.

We had a clerk fired for this same reason was maybe a few years from retiring. Difference is he had been shipping packages to his family in Africa for free for 25+ years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a clerk fired for this same reason was maybe a few years from retiring. Difference is he had been shipping packages to his family in Africa for free for 25+ years.

There was a clerk at our local MBE store who was fired for sending out NDA's using their account number. It turns out that I may have inadvertently had something to do with the firing. The NDA's were going to a non-committed zip out of our center. I pointed out to the owner that she could send these out ground and they would get there at the same time. She was not the one sending them out and when she asked the employee about them she admitted to the theft of services and was fired.

singleout

Well, I went to panel they deadlock! It was crazy this was the first time that this situation has ever been presented to the panel. The Loss prevention people could not even define thief of service! They asked me stupid questions like if a shipper gave me a package to deliver for them down the street would I deliver it. Like really!! This is not making any sense to me. I been off for 2 months, now I have to wait for an abritrator to hear the case and that can take up to 6 months.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Well, I went to panel they deadlock! It was crazy this was the first time that this situation has ever been presented to the panel. The Loss prevention people could not even define thief of service! They asked me stupid questions like if a shipper gave me a package to deliver for them down the street would I deliver it. Like really!! This is not making any sense to me. I been off for 2 months, now I have to wait for an abritrator to hear the case and that can take up to 6 months.
It's idiotic. A fellow driver brought one thing back to the building for you and they act like you're robbing the company blind, delivering stuff all over town for free on company time. Sure. They must want you really bad for some other reason and this is the only thing they have to use against you. I would be very surprised if the arbitrator sides with the company.

kingOFchester

I did not read the entire thread. Did the driver that actually made the unpaid delivery get charged?
I would think the driver that picked up the item would be more at fault.
If I ask a driver to drive 15 miles off his route to meet me for lunch, wouldn't he be the one having to explain his actions? not me?

I just don't get it. It is wrong to fire anyone for this, but again if they were going to fire someone over this, it would seem logical to go after the driver that made the unauthorized pick up.

singleout

No only me not the drivers who have picked up a box for me in the previous time. Only one manager new about this and now is retired. The rest of the sups and managers that know, act like they did not know a thing about it when question. I said at the panel y am I the only one here when I just recieved the box. I assuming with the drivers all with over 25+ years experience that picked up the box would have known this is wrong and would not have picked and up. But like I said before, I have picked up packages at on route locations many of times for my drivers.

kingOFchester

Well that makes zero sense.

My wife was flying out of town. She had an early flight, but I had her Debit Card from dinner the night before. I asked the driver on my route to drop off the Debit card before 10am. Had he had late airs do to the favor, I guess he would of gotten off and I would of been charged with the late air. Makes no sense.

BTW, he did not and would not have had late airs do to the favor.

thessalonian13

If he gets his job back in 6 months, will he get back pay for the 8 months that he lost?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If he gets his job back in 6 months, will he get back pay for the 8 months that he lost?

NO... the union would have had to include the backpay request in the original grievance. This case makes no sense. There is something more substantial missing from his story.

Dont know what that is, but its pretty shady sounding. Deadlocking at panel is no big surprise, and sticking him in arbitration that could take a year is pretty normal. The union must have a weak defense if its going this far and that suggests the poster is leaving something out of the story.

Peace

TOS

singleout

NO... the union would have had to include the backpay request in the original grievance. This case makes no sense. There is something more substantial missing from his story.

Dont know what that is, but its pretty shady sounding. Deadlocking at panel is no big surprise, and sticking him in arbitration that could take a year is pretty normal. The union must have a weak defense if its going this far and that suggests the poster is leaving something out of the story.

Peace

TOS

Union did request back pay at panel, the case is just what was stated in the op, and there is nothing more. Panel did discuss returning to job, but union asked about back pay and thats when it deadlock. I would have took the no backpay I can get that back in ot, but now since its going to panel I dont really know how long that takes. So I am not sure about the pay issue.