Just hired(need advice)

new2ups

I just got hired. I am excited to finally get health coverage for my daughter. Could anyone give me advice on how to make driver?

*I've read other posts that say run away from UPS, but it is a good deal for me because.....

1.Health care from my wifes job cost $600 monthly for 3
2.Day care runs around $450(=

So if you add the money im saving plus the salary I'm earning the equivilent of $1500 working part-time. Not bad. So I am in a pretty could position. What is your best advice on making driver? Is there any extra work I can Sign up for while in the warehouse? How many years do you have to put in to make driver.

P.S. 3:00-9:00 shift southern California

Thank you to all who answer. :cool:

brownieboy

Welcome to UPS. Cant tell you many answers. Talk with your Supervisor, let him know you are willing to work. OH one more thing CHRISMAS SUX as a UPSer. lol

S

Shop Al

Been retired for a while... some advise... Work hard, be honest... develop a relationshop with all management....Let them clearly now what your intentions are... use solid common sense. If it does not feel right ... it probably isn't...Great company.... BUT people run it....the Human factor... Good luck

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Shopal had some very good pointers. Heed them.

I would also add that in many places they all the time need people to work or cover other shifts. While some places do not allow this, others find that a good employee, even though the pay over time, is still a better investment than one that never shows up.

Keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities. Some times they come when you least expect them and need them the most.

As for full time, it is pretty much cut and dry, you must have the seniority to get there. But sometimes that wait is not as long as you might think, just keep your driving record clean, no moving violations on your record. Just one is a deal killer for a year.

Enjoy the trip, find yourself another job to make more money if you need it. All the way around, for now, it sounds like you really needed the job and it fills the bill for you at this time.

d

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
Shop Al said:
Been retired for a while... some advise... Work hard, be honest... develop a relationshop with all management....Let them clearly now what your intentions are... use solid common sense. If it does not feel right ... it probably isn't...Great company.... BUT people run it....the Human factor... Good luck

Listen to this guy he is correct, plus shave dont come to work looking like a bum(hip hop, du rag, baggy clothes etc). The promotion will come be ready. Ready meaning your driving record or trouble with the law. There are still good people in managment who will take note of this and you will be rewarded. Plus stay away from "negative guy" too many of these slackers here taking up space. You can go as high in this company as your ambition, work ethic, education can take you. If you look at the biographies of many upper level managment they started at the bottom its harder now but not impossible. This company has help me feed, house, and clothed my familiy for 18years. It can do the same for your young family and more if you work hard for it. Good luck:thumbup1:

new2ups

I always take pride in my personal apperance, so thats not a problem. I have to say.....one of the first things I noticed on the tour, some guys had on pants so baggy and you could not see their shoes. They were all ripped to shreds at the cuff and soiled black. I will never understand this style. Oh well.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
some guys had on pants so baggy

They do not allow that type here. For two reasons. One is safety. The second is that it allows the wearer to steal things in his pants. So baggy pants are out.

d

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
dannyboy said:
They do not allow that type here. For two reasons. One is safety. The second is that it allows the wearer to steal things in his pants. So baggy pants are out.

Well here in the Los Angeles area our applicant pool is full of baggy hip hop wearing thug,gang member wannabes, high schooldrop outs who think everyone needs to see their underwear or "drawers". Every time the have a casting call the line of these young people is around the block. 80% last about 1 or 2 weeks. They eventually weed out the riff raff and we end up with a poor quality worker who then becomes a less than average driver. I've seen this a lot in the last 10years but the drivers that do last settle in and become productvie but usually not management material. Before we had a more high school grads with college management potential or they chose to stay in package/feeder.Now we have let these college guys come in over the top of this learning curve which causes us to have a gap of good leaders in management who understand the company at different levels. This is what I have perceived around here.:bored:

diadlover

new2ups, here are some words of wisdom:

1)Do not go into management.
2)Do not become a driver.
3)It's a union company so your hardwork is meaningless.
4)If you steal it is a felony if it crossed state lines. No matter how small it is.
5)Drink a lot of water.
6)Pay your union dues.
7)Your PT sup. is nothing. He can't do sh-t without a full-time sups permission.
8)Don't listen to dannyboy. He's an idiot.
9)Don't shave. Shaving sucks so why do it when your just a hub-rat?
10)Request to work in the unload. From there go to the small-sort. Stay there because you'll earn $1 more per hour.
11)Pay a fellow worker $20 to get a carpool pass with so you can park in the front.
12)Get about 3 i.d. cards because you don't want to forget yours. You can wait like 15 minutes for a sup to come sign you in.
13)Don't listen to wily_old_vet. He's an old coot.
14)File a grievance when you see sups working.
15)An employee can and will be terminated for poor attendance. However, a lazy piece of crap that comes to work on time every day will have job security. Just ask double_standard.
16)Wear deoderant. Can't tell you how many stinky bas-ards I've had to smell.
17)Become a steward or study the union contract. Know your rights.
18)Listen to over9five. He's good people.

tieguy

Banned
diadlover said:
new2ups , here are some words of wisdom:

Stay part time?

Ok hates the union.

4)If you steal it is a felony if it crossed state lines. No matter how small it is.

wish that were true.

5)Drink a lot of water.
6)Pay your union dues.

now he supports the union.

7)Your PT sup. is nothing. He can't do sh-t without a full-time sups permission.

hates the part time sup.

hates the resident steward.

hates being clean shaven.

10)Request to work in the unload. From there go to the small-sort. Stay there because you'll earn $1 more per hour.

hates hard work, thinks anyone can get a job in the small sort.

11)Pay a fellow worker $20 to get a carpool pass with so you can park in the front.

hates parking too far from the building and having to walk too far.

12)Get about 3 i.d. cards because you don't want to forget yours. You can wait like 15 minutes for a sup to come sign you in.

hates the part time sups who don't break their necks to sign him in when he forgets to bring his ID with him.

Does not respect his elders and what they have learned.

likes to file grievances for sups working when he hates working hard and should probably be glad the guy is doing his work for him.

15)An employee can and will be terminated for poor attendance. However, a lazy piece of crap that comes to work on time every day will have job security. Just ask double_standard.

Despises lasy pieces of crap yet gives advice to steer away from anything that resembles hard work.

hates stinky bastards but thinks its ok to look like one.

Ah now loves the union, but does not think he can learn anything from two retirees who have been there and done that.

Okay one good piece of advice out of 18.

diadlover

tieguy said:
Originally Posted by diadlover
new2ups, here are some words of wisdom:

Stay part time?
Yes, or get an article 22.

Ok hates the union. No, I hate lazy bastards that take advantage of the Union. Big difference buddy.

wish that were true. That is true.

5)Drink a lot of water.
6)Pay your union dues.

now he supports the union. Of course, I've always supported the Union.

hates the part time sup. Yeah, so?

hates the resident steward. I hate you and your mom also so what's your point?

hates being clean shaven. And that bothers you why?

hates hard work, thinks anyone can get a job in the small sort. Work in a less physical environment for more money? Work smarter tieguy, not harder.

hates parking too far from the building and having to walk too far. No, I hate having to wait 15 to 20 minutes to find a parking space. And yes, when it's 115 outside I don't want to walk too far.

hates the part time sups who don't break their necks to sign him in when he forgets to bring his ID with him. Yes, I dislike sups.

Does not respect his elders and what they have learned. I respect my elders. Just don't take advice from the senile ones.

likes to file grievances for sups working when he hates working hard and should probably be glad the guy is doing his work for him. Ummmm, yes tieguy when I see a sups taking work from an hourly I enjoy filing on them. Not sure where this "lazy" work ethic you think that I have but like I said before WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER.

Despises lasy pieces of crap yet gives advice to steer away from anything that resembles hard work. Yes, and I'm going to say this for the last time: work smarter, not harder

hates stinky bastards but thinks its ok to look like one. So your saying that any person with facial hair is a stinky bastard? Wow, good job.

Ah now loves the union, but does not think he can learn anything from two retirees who have been there and done that. I have ALWAYS supported the union. Employees need to educate themselves so two-faced scumbag sups such as yourself don't take advantage of them.

Okay one good piece of advice out of 18.
I think somebody has a crush on you, over9five.

Go back to the drawing board and think of a way to tear me apart, tieguy. I counted like 6 posts from you ALL about me in about a 15 minute span. Ha Ha Ha, your a loser! You probably think about me when your not even on this site, don't you? I OWN YOU!!

palguy

See what you started, new2ups!! J/K, just go to work with a positive attitude and don't pay any attention to the jerks.

brownieboy

Shop Al said:
This is the best advice I have seen.
Treat EVERY package as if it were your own. Take pride in what you do. It sounds like you have tried hard to get in the company. We all know you can go flip burgers for at least the same starting wage. Ill guarantee if you give UPS time you will have a VERY good paycheck. The benefits ROCK! You get one heck of a workout every day. The opportunity for advancement is good. I dont know if you have tuition reimbursment, but check. As with anything you do, IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.
The union overall is good for the workers, even though the are really screwing the employees that are about to retire.
Overall I love my job, some days the mgmnt. ticks me off, but hey, thats their job.lol Just grin and bear it, and it gets better the next day.