Just how much job security do we really have as union employees

rod

Retired 22 years
When I started all you entered on paper was the 6 digit shipper number and maybe the weight if the customer had bothered to write it at the end of their rubber stamped number.

clean hairy

Invite the driver to come in and work preload to demonstrate how the turck should be loaded perfect.
Once he sees what is involved, he will shut up!

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Wrong. Maybe you need to ride in one of the trucks and be told to grab the packages when it’s 130° in the back... package selection time due to load quality makes or breaks the day.

You should be telling a supervisor you need to adjust the load and request someone to help pull packages.

If enough people did this they’d be forced to hire more loaders... but people don’t so it’s a crap show.
So its preloads fault for the lack of loaders? As if they have any opinion in the matter. Get real, all they would do is have someone else come down and help you out, dicking up their section while they're gone. Or pull someone else from some other belt, and just put more a strain on the guys they have already by picking up the slack. If a guy is genuinely loading to the best of his abilities and is putting in an effort, good. The ones who don't should be fired. But if at the end of the sort a bulk stop that he had planned for that not one package came down, until the truck is loaded full, I don't expect him to rearrange the entire shelf and truck while having to contend with the other trucks. Put it where it fits then tell the driver.

MattM

As someone else said, it's an equal co worker. Try to ignore it or yell right back.

I doubt many aren't trying their hardest. But having a driver be a total dick, you lose incentive to actually help him out and work harder. So it's a two way street. Reading some of these driver comments, yikes. Entitled much?

Jstpeachy

For how many hours? 3.5? Lmfao, you have no clue.

Preload is a 6 hour gig at my building lol still isn’t enough time for a perfect load. I’ve got 3 trucks per day and I clean them up at the end the best I can in the same order every day.

Guy that leaves first and it always cool gets 1st dibs on my last bit of time, 2nd up is the driver trying to qualify- his load is 99% in numerical order daily with sharpie hin on everything- even smalls, then the :censored2: driver I have gets whatever time is left.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Preload is a 6 hour gig at my building lol still isn’t enough time for a perfect load. I’ve got 3 trucks per day and I clean them up at the end the best I can in the same order every day.

Guy that leaves first and it always cool gets 1st dibs on my last bit of time, 2nd up is the driver trying to qualify- his load is 99% in numerical order daily with sharpie hin on everything- even smalls, then the :censored2: driver I have gets whatever time is left.
it all falls on the floor regardless

One of my pet peeves about UPS... a union employee RATTING on another union employee without a direct conversation and going straight to management. Really man?

We all know drivers throw preloaders under the bus when convenient, but it makes us look weak as a whole.

No matter how bad my load is on any given thing, the last thing I’m doing is going and complaining to an onroad and putting a coworker under the gun. I’ll talk to him/her myself and see if there’s daily improvement, which there almost always is if you treat them like a friend/human being.

I’m sorry but I’ve never had an absolutely perfect stop by stop package car when you’re considering 200+ packages on a daily basis. There are too many variables.

The computer dudes don’t even know half the time it’s a 1lb bag or 100lb irreg, how should my preloader?

Just do your best and work at the same pace each day while smiling and saying “ok” at their useless pointers and advice.

LarryBird

So its preloads fault for the lack of loaders? As if they have any opinion in the matter. Get real, all they would do is have someone else come down and help you out, dicking up their section while they're gone. Or pull someone else from some other belt, and just put more a strain on the guys they have already by picking up the slack. If a guy is genuinely loading to the best of his abilities and is putting in an effort, good. The ones who don't should be fired. But if at the end of the sort a bulk stop that he had planned for that not one package came down, until the truck is loaded full, I don't expect him to rearrange the entire shelf and truck while having to contend with the other trucks. Put it where it fits then tell the driver.
This is exactly right.

That's where a note left on the driver's seat is a simple solution - "Hey couldn't fit _____ here, so it's here instead", takes 20 seconds, and saves the driver a ton of aggravation.

My loader did this everyday for all 3 of the trucks he loaded, in addition to splitting the belt for everyone because he was at the top, and it made our days much easier. He was never asked to do this - he just did it. This kid really cares if he does a good job every day, and he's one of the 2 or 3 best loaders in the building. That's why he get's holiday tips and gifts from his drivers, including the cover guys.

It doesn't go unnoticed when somebody cares about their job, and it's effects on how well you do yours, as the next guy down the line.

All that said, he is not my loader anymore. My new bid is not in his set, and my new loader blows. He is a cover driver too, which makes it all the more annoying - he :censored2:ing knows better. He just doesn't give a :censored2:. Which is understandable, as I'm sure he wants to be on the road, and not loading a truck at 4am for someone else to go make almost $40 an hour, while he makes his $15 building rate. But those are the breaks - do your :censored2:ing job right...which means to the best of your ability, when all the :censored2: out of your control is factored in, you've done your best to control what you could - how much you gave a :censored2:.

One of my pet peeves about UPS... a union employee RATTING on another union employee without a direct conversation and going straight to management. Really man?

We all know drivers throw preloaders under the bus when convenient, but it makes us look weak as a whole.

No matter how bad my load is on any given thing, the last thing I’m doing is going and complaining to an onroad and putting a coworker under the gun. I’ll talk to him/her myself and see if there’s daily improvement, which there almost always is if you treat them like a friend/human being.

I’m sorry but I’ve never had an absolutely perfect stop by stop package car when you’re considering 200+ packages on a daily basis. There are too many variables.

The computer dudes don’t even know half the time it’s a 1lb bag or 100lb irreg, how should my preloader?

Just do your best and work at the same pace each day while smiling and saying “ok” at their useless pointers and advice.
First I try talking to the preloader if I'm having an issue. But if I have late air or service due to you screwing up, then that's a different story

Last edited:

LarryBird

I have never thrown a preloader under the bus one single time - that's :censored2:ing low. To possibly subject another union brother or sister to discipline purposely is suspect. I immediately question the character of someone who does this.

I've never even hit "No" when the "was your load quality acceptable" question comes up at the end of the day. If it wasn't, I'll mention it to the loader, with an explanation of how it could have been improved upon, with the caveat that I know they're under a time crunch.

If I have mentioned a bad load in a conversation with the on road or dispatch during the day, I always preface it with "there's no need to bust this kid's balls" or something to that extent, but this is what the deal was with my load and why I'm behind. If anything, I usually blame the load on the dispatch - say he should know better.

This narcing on fellow teamsters :censored2: at UPS is an epidemic. I don't get it. We're grown men and women, we can have face to face conversations to bring up issues, without involving 'mom and dad' so to speak. We don't need management to arbitrate and police every matter between two union employees, and potentially bring discipline upon one another, and I'm sure management is in agreement with this statement - they've got better things to do than moderate petty disputes between union brothers and sisters.

Talk to your loader or the driver you're having some issue with. You will find out that they're not mad about it, they're happy you brought it to them, and they're willing to work with you to the satisfaction of both parties. Simple :censored2:, folks. We are adults.

Last edited:

LarryBird

First I try talking to the preloader if I'm having an issue. Bit if I have late air or service due to you screwing up, then that's a different story
This is understandable.

I wish every loader who had trips in their set with committed air, just put the committed next days in the cab, and let us put them where they went or where we wanted them before we left the bldg.

Pretty simple solution, and makes things easier on everyone. No looking around for missing NDA at a stop for the driver, no thought besides air = front of the cab for the preloader.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
This is understandable.

I wish every loader who had trips in their set with committed air, just put the committed next days in the cab, and let us put them where they went or where we wanted them before we left the bldg.

Pretty simple solution, and makes things easier on everyone. No looking around for missing NDA at a stop for the driver, no thought besides air = front of the cab for the preloader.
But you also have the drivers who make special request of loaders and want all their air stacked out somewhere in the back, that's just asking for an envelope to get lost.