Just needed some input Thanks

rainmaker099

rainmaker099
Just needed some input... I've been working as a preloader for almost 2 years, and took a full time job at Kellogs with a company car and commissioins while I'm waiting to be a driver. Since I worked retail for several years I felt comfortable working both jobs. I've been getting some pressure lately from my boss to quit preload. She wants me to be 100% Kellogs. I know I'm a long way off from driving, and I'm already 33. Looks like they're gonna lay off driver's at my center after peak too. Not sure which too choose

leastbest

LeastBest
I started driving at 21 and ready to retire. I can't imagine starting driving when I"m close to forty. I'm leaving at 55. If you can find a way to live without brown, go for it. It's a big world.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've been working as a preloader for almost 2 years, and took a full time job at Kellogs with a company car and commissioins while I'm waiting to be a driver. I've been getting some pressure lately from my boss to quit preload. She wants me to be 100% Kellogs.

I assume you mean Kellogg ... if so, you're a flake. :sick: OK that was bad but couldn't resist.

You have to make the decision...only you know what is in your heart.
Do you like the type of job at Kellogg?
At 33 you'll be having to drive until you are 60 to get a decent retirement, if if you went in a couple of years.
I look back on driving as my favorite job at UPS but I would not want to be doing it now at 54 (probably better for me, healthwise).
What is the potential for advancement at Kellogg and again, do you want to be promoted and accept all the headaches that come with moving up the ladder?

Good luck on your choice.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
A couple of things come to mind that you did not mention.

First though, both companies are pretty solid, so not too many worries about not having a job in 10 years.

One of the issues is fine, you have a company car. What do you take home, and is it enough for you? Also, what about health and retirement, how does Kellogg's stack with ups.

Then comes the real question. You pretty much know that any advancement at ups is a ways off for you. what about at Kellogg's?

So unless you provide more information, it would be hard to give you good advice, with the exception that as a beginning driver at 35+ years of age, you might want to switch to feeders at the first chance. delivery is not kind to those over 55. and each year that passes gets harder.

d

satellitedriver

That is really your call.
I started driving at 32.
At the age of 55 this job/career takes it's toll.
I am not being negative about the driving, just being realistic about the constant increase of work load and the constant decrease in one's physical ability, as one's body ages.
Choose your ride, carefully.
Your mother only bought you one ticket.
I wish you the best.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As danny said, you left out a lot of details which may help us give you more accurate advice but, at any rate, the decision is ultimately yours (and your family, if applicable) to make. I suggest that you sit down and write a list of the Pros and Cons of both UPS and Kellogg's. Yeah, it may seem juvenile, but you may find that writing down well help you sort through the process needed to make this decision.

I am 47 w/19 years in and 11 to go. The thought of driving at 58 is something I am not looking forward to, especially at the rate that they are increasing our workload.

Free cereal for life?

DS

Fenderbender
Your mother only bought you one ticket.

Man, sd you often have a way with words.

Go with Kellogs rainman,and get a gym membership.(stay fit)
Go full speed ahead ,work your way up,start out in froot loops.then frosted flakes,and snap crackle pop,before you know it its on to corn
flakes,bran flakes ,and the 2 scoops of raisins you'll need to stay regular
in your twilight years as a travelling ceral salesman...after that its ok to have some cap'n crunch,(let 'em soak awhile:) ) and oatmeal and cream of wheat by Quaker...oh yea theres always bran buds if you want to stay loyal...:thumbup:

Channahon

Being 33 years old, I wouldn't think you would need a concensus on a website to help you make a choice between UPS and Kellogs.

Both have name brand, pick the career that is right for you. With the economy being in the toilet, and who knows when it will recover, if ever, envision where you would want to be in 5 years.

Working for UPS, waiting to be a driver, which at that time you would be 38, or having sales experience with a company whose brand name has been around forever.

Won't give you any advice either way, as the decision is yours to make, hopefully, the right choice made by you to secure your future.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I think the fact that they've invested in you, they don't want you to abandon ship as soon as something more lucrative shows up. Since working two jobs is not a problem (as you mentioned) why is this person pressuring you? You're already working full time hours, what more do they want???

side note: My favorite cereal, Honey Bunches of Oats.

LiL"Comet"

I have three kids that sure eat a lot of Kellogg's can you hook me up with a discount?? lol:winks: That will be ggrrrrrreeeaaaattt!!!

Good advice the others gave really set down weigh out your pros and cons of both jobs. The long term outcome of both and if you have a family what would work out better their..?

Good Luck to you hope it works out for the best!!!:peaceful:

P

pickup

do you have to choose? Your boss is putting pressure on you , okay but is she making choose ? Can you do both? Tell her you like getting paid to work out and if you didn't have the preload job, you would have to pay to work out.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I didn't start driving until I was 32. If someone offered me a company car while I was still part time, I think I'd get in and floor it. It's also hard to believe UPS will be adding drivers in 2009.

chev

Nightcrawler
I would kick "Brown" to the curb if that was my situation. You can't afford to continue to put your life on hold for the passing chance you might get a full time driving job in the next 4-5 years.
I am guessing Kellogg wants you to devote all your time with them and frown upon "moonlighting"? Is this a management position? Some companies are funny like that.

When I was younger, I was a shift manager for McDonald's (I wish I could forget that). They did not want me working another job and had the nads to tell me to quit UPS. I was still a local sorter. I told them to "flake" off. Their paltry 16k a year was a joke compared to the driving wages I was holding out for. I laughed in my boss's face and told him I would be making more than him in a few years. He asked me why I would want to work outside in the heat and cold when I could stay there and work in the climate controlled restaurant. :laughing:
I now make nearly twice what he was making and he was the store manager.:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
do you have to choose? Your boss is putting pressure on you , okay but is she making choose ? Can you do both? Tell her you like getting paid to work out and if you didn't have the preload job, you would have to pay to work out.

Same thoughts here, if you don't have to choose between the two, don't.

I would kick "Brown" to the curb if that was my situation. You can't afford to continue to put your life on hold for the passing chance you might get a full time driving job in the next 4-5 years.
I am guessing Kellogg wants you to devote all your time with them and frown upon "moonlighting"? Is this a management position? Some companies are funny like that.

When I was younger, I was a shift manager for McDonald's (I wish I could forget that). They did not want me working another job and had the nads to tell me to quit UPS. I was still a local sorter. I told them to "flake" off. Their paltry 16k a year was a joke compared to the driving wages I was holding out for. I laughed in my boss's face and told him I would be making more than him in a few years. He asked me why I would want to work outside in the heat and cold when I could stay there and work in the climate controlled restaurant. :laughing:
I now make nearly twice what he was making and he was the store manager.:happy-very:

You made two good points, chev. First you told rainmaker099 to stick with Kellogg, then you told that story about sticking it out at UPS. Both are very good points, but still leave rainmaker099 with a decision to make.

I say to line them up, side by side, like upstate said. Pick the one that works for you in the long run, but don't choose and leave until it becomes absolutely necessary.

I was 30 when I started at UPS. I'm 43 now and feel fine. Started driving almost 3 years to the day after I got hired and the wait was well worth it all. While I was part time I had various full time jobs. Worked as a plumbers helper, delivered auto parts, drove a school bus, etc..., and could have kept any of those jobs. I like the choice I made, as it fits who I am. Only you can decide what's best for you. Choose wisely!