Just starting out, had a few questions on tips

CoffeeStainedUniform

Hey everyone my name is Derek and I just got a job at UPS for a package handler position. tuesday to saturday 4am to 9pm. I have a few years expereince working in factories but I would like to ask the community if they have any tips for first timers on the job? And what do you think about the job after being there for say a month or longer?
I dont think it can be overstated how badly you can hurt yourself pushing yourself too hard. Make sure your shoes have good support and always follow proper lifting methods. Consistency over speed.

Your raises and promotions have nothing to do with your sups attitude toward you. Make friendly with the drivers and meet your local steward asap. Welcome and goodluck!

Jstpeachy

Will keep in mind to just work steadily and not above my own pace as it does appear from the interview I had there is like 20 some employee to 1 part time up and 30 some employees per full time sup from what I was told by their sorting manager as their estimate. So with that in mind I do not expect any supervisor to be directly watching over me over minute of the day therefore noo need to impress anyone. So far it seems just be safe and dont stress my body mentally or physically.
Thank you for your input everyone.

Rule #1- in the event you can possibly impress a sup... your reward is adding another car to your load set lol. So work properly, but I wouldn’t kill yourself trying to be the best. That behavior is not rewarded in any favorable way at this company. Seniority is all that counts. There’s a whole thread for new hires with lots of advice and recommendations, give that a glance. Good luck!

Rule #1- in the event you can possibly impress a sup... your reward is adding another car to your load set lol. So work properly, but I wouldn’t kill yourself trying to be the best. That behavior is not rewarded in any favorable way at this company. Seniority is all that counts. There’s a whole thread for new hires with lots of advice and recommendations, give that a glance. Good luck!
I'm gonna say this.. you need sturdy, comfortable, and steel toed shoes. I can't express how thankful I am for steel toed boots. Adding the extra insoles to protect my feet is a plus. Being on concrete floor most of the day adds a lot of stress to your feet. And those steel toed boots have been a saving grace when it comes to moving packages at times to protecting my feet. I'd have had a broken foot by now. And do not over exert yourself. KEEP HYDRATED WITH WATER. Not just gatorade. I only allow my self one sugary drinks for some calorie intake and the rest is water. Make friends and communicate with your driver's FIRST thing. They will willingly help you load your trucks and help you out if you start falling behind. Ive had a few give me drinks plenty of times just by trying to put effort into making sure their trucks at loaded properly. And make sure you get proper sleep.

Hey everyone my name is Derek and I just got a job at UPS for a package handler position. tuesday to saturday 4am to 9pm. I have a few years expereince working in factories but I would like to ask the community if they have any tips for first timers on the job? And what do you think about the job after being there for say a month or longer?
Your start times and end times are never, ever the same. You will be there before 4 and after 9.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I'm gonna say this.. you need sturdy, comfortable, and steel toed shoes. I can't express how thankful I am for steel toed boots. Adding the extra insoles to protect my feet is a plus. Being on concrete floor most of the day adds a lot of stress to your feet. And those steel toed boots have been a saving grace when it comes to moving packages at times to protecting my feet. I'd have had a broken foot by now. And do not over exert yourself. KEEP HYDRATED WITH WATER. Not just gatorade. I only allow my self one sugary drinks for some calorie intake and the rest is water. Make friends and communicate with your driver's FIRST thing. They will willingly help you load your trucks and help you out if you start falling behind. Ive had a few give me drinks plenty of times just by trying to put effort into making sure their trucks at loaded properly. And make sure you get proper sleep.
I load all the over 70s on the top shelf

Lmao. I did that once .. my driver was not so happy that day. He was a cussing and griping for a while.. granted it was like my second day of work and thought that even the heaviest packages needed to be on the shelf too. But then I did it on purpose to a driver who had nothing but a bad attitude every single day. Whoa to your back if you do that on a daily basis my friend. Lol

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Lmao. I did that once .. my driver was not so happy that day. He was a cussing and griping for a while.. granted it was like my second day of work and thought that even the heaviest packages needed to be on the shelf too. But then I did it on purpose to a driver who had nothing but a bad attitude every single day. Whoa to your back if you do that on a daily basis my friend. Lol
I was told to load them all up front or top shelf by @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U