Just to be clear

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If you work both you won't get your 34 hour reset. Doesn't matter what vehicle you happen to be driving, it's whether you're DOT or not.

Also, the 34 hours can't just be any 34 hours. They have to fall during a certain time window. I forget what exactly the window is but if you start early you should check the rule to make sure you're not breaking it.

The easy way around this is to schedule someone a day off in the middle of the week. That way, they can work both Saturday and Sunday.

dex 84

The easy way around this is to schedule someone a day off in the middle of the week. That way, they can work both Saturday and Sunday.

I wouldn't allow that to happen to me. I signed an offer letter that says I work Monday to Friday. We'll start with that and then if I have to work additional days I will.

McFeely

Huge Member
Looks like nobody got scheduled for Sunday at my station. They even called a few off of the Saturday schedule tomorrow.

SmithBarney

It was anticipated that a bunch of people in this area would suddenly get religion for a day. Ain't looking good for them.

FedEx and it's powerful legal army wouldn't bother to take on the ACLU... not worth the time or negative press " FDX: International Shipping Giant FEDEX disciplines Christians for not working Sundays " I'm sure the press would eat that up... not worth FDX time.

59 Dano

FedEx and it's powerful legal army wouldn't bother to take on the ACLU... not worth the time or negative press " FDX: International Shipping Giant FEDEX disciplines Christians for not working Sundays " I'm sure the press would eat that up... not worth FDX time.

Well, for one, there's the concept of a sincerely held religious belief vs "I got church that day [for the 1st and last time in a decade]" that the law recognizes. The law allows the employer to request and/or seek corroborating evidence that the belief is sincerely held as opposed to someone claiming it for a secular reason.

But that's a tedious hassle. It's much easier to take care of the problem in other ways. All I can say is that those fine people who got religion for a whole day better not need any favors or leniency at some point.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, for one, there's the concept of a sincerely held religious belief vs "I got church that day [for the 1st and last time in a decade]" that the law recognizes. The law allows the employer to request and/or seek corroborating evidence that the belief is sincerely held as opposed to someone claiming it for a secular reason.

But that's a tedious hassle. It's much easier to take care of the problem in other ways. All I can say is that those fine people who got religion for a whole day better not need any favors or leniency at some point.

Oh. so management is going to have their revenge. That sounds just about right. Screw you on Sundays. I always say I have church, even though I'm an agnostic. My family is more important than Fred's profits.

59 Dano

Oh. so management is going to have their revenge. That sounds just about right. Screw you on Sundays. I always say I have church, even though I'm an agnostic. My family is more important than Fred's profits.

A real man would say that his family comes first (which is why you spend such an inordinate amount of time here, I guess) and wouldn't stoop to making a mockery of someone's faith in that manner. That's not much different than lying about having a child die as an excuse to skip work. If you don't have the balls to tell the truth, at least have the balls to take your medicine if you're caught in a lie.

But I like the idea that you think it's wrong to retaliate against an employee who lies to avoid work. LOL!!

outtatime

I agree that lying about it is the sissy way to go about it but what other recourse do people have when FedEx keeps using the "operational needs" excuse time and time again? Yes peak is the busiest time of year and everyone knows it, but there comes a point where you're over-saturating the system capacity by taking on more packages than can be delivered in the small time frame. FedEx keeps taking on the packages and it's up to the couriers to save the day and get them all delivered on time. Why should the couriers have to pay the price and work on Sunday just because everyone wants to wait until the last minute to shop? So yes, it is a shame that people will use a BS excuse to get out of working their DAY OFF. The nerve.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Who are you God or something? Screw you!

El Morado Diablo

It's a good thing FedEx has so many ridiculous policies in the People Manual to insure employees are treated the same and keep managers from behaving like this. Wait...what?!?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS driver said his was told they would be working Saturday and Sunday. I'll know for sure Monday when I see him.

Highly unlikely that they would be working both Saturday and Sunday as you have to have a 34 hour reset between Friday and Monday, which must include two separate 1-5 am periods.

bacha29

As was mentioned earlier the entire matter rests with X overselling the service year after year after year and when they get caught with their thumb in that unpleasant oriface they expect contractors and couriers to get them out of the mess they are and in. At the same time it's a nonunion company which is an open invitation for abusive behavior on the part of management.