Just when I thought UPS couldn't screw us any worse... Addison, IL Hub closing for 2 years.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
...or at least most of it. Eff, 1/9/15.

I received a "WARN" letter today stating the hub is closing 1/9/15 - 11/1/2016. Hat's off to local 705 for letting it happen, too.

Luckily (please read in a sarcastic tone), some of us will be offered work at other hubs in the area. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those within a reasonable driving distance (at least on part time pay). I'm sure the drivers will all keep their jobs, but honestly, I don't see many part timers making $10 - $12 an hour being willing or able to drive 40 minutes a day to work 18 hours a week at that pay... especially not for two years.

Perhaps I'll be one of the lucky few who can go to a close facility, but if not, and for everyone else, we're screwed.

Thanks UPS. Thanks 705.

I'm glad to know all my hard work is appreciated.
Drove 35 miles to and from work everyday, at 1 time worked 3 jobs for 6 months, and I did it for 2 years until I went fulltime. You do what you gotta do to get you to where you want to go. Only the strong minded survive. Does suck for these employees. Lets keep our fingers crossed and wish for only the best of luck to these guys and gals.

MoarTape

I'd love to see some expansion or upgrades at NewPA. They'd sooner just shut us down and move the work elsewhere though.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
...or at least most of it. Eff, 1/9/15.

I received a "WARN" letter today stating the hub is closing 1/9/15 - 11/1/2016. Hat's off to local 705 for letting it happen, too.

Luckily (please read in a sarcastic tone), some of us will be offered work at other hubs in the area. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those within a reasonable driving distance (at least on part time pay). I'm sure the drivers will all keep their jobs, but honestly, I don't see many part timers making $10 - $12 an hour being willing or able to drive 40 minutes a day to work 18 hours a week at that pay... especially not for two years.

Perhaps I'll be one of the lucky few who can go to a close facility, but if not, and for everyone else, we're screwed.

Thanks UPS. Thanks 705.

I'm glad to know all my hard work is appreciated.

Even the part timers get the best health insurance in the industry. That's like $1500 monthly. Probably worth the drive, although it sucks.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Chicago traffic is the worst
Sorry to hear the bad news. Addison was one of my favorite places. Always had a layover and could take a nap waiting for the sort.

TheFigurehead

If your worried about your job now think about how many part time jobs will disappear after Addison reopens as a state of the art facility.

Overall, I'm sure there will be less employees, but a good portion of the people effected won't be with the company by the time the facility reopens, so it's not as if anyone will be laid off.

Nike

Pick up a shovel and a hardhat and go right back to work. Paint walls, place drywalls, see if you can do some work on the side

Sent using BrownCafe App

watdaflock?

Yeah I heard about that yesterday. That sucks, but driving 40 min to work as a PTer? I've been doing that for years.
Chicago is an expensive city to get around, practically all the highways have tolls.

Agreed, I have been working 6 years as a part timer with a 1 way commute of 35+ mins with no problems.
No tolls and cheaper gas in Ohio.

Question for OP : How much will an IPass cost you a month? I'd try getting the union to pay for that (at least) for everyone being transferred to other hubs. Would help a bit cover the additional travel costs.

Inthegame

Chicago is an expensive city to get around, practically all the highways have tolls.

No tolls and cheaper gas in Ohio.

Question for OP : How much will an IPass cost you a month? I'd try getting the union to pay for that (at least) for everyone being transferred to other hubs. Would help a bit cover the additional travel costs.
(At least)? Why do you think the union should pay for UPS's decision to renovate Addison? How about UPS paying for the IPass.