Just won my first permanent route!!

poophappens

It took only 10 years and 8 months of playing utility driver in my center to get it. I've put my name down on every route since I started driving and I finally got one!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
congrats to you! When I started, I had been p/t for 14 months. A driver got fired, opening up a route. they posted it, I bid on it, won it, and to make it even sweeter, it was the area I grew up in, so I knew the streets and who worked where, etc.

It took only 10 years and 8 months of playing utility driver in my center to get it. I've put my name down on every route since I started driving and I finally got one!
Do it the same every day. If you have to get off early still do it the same. Put in your 8 hour. Call or message the center at 2:30 and 3:30 if you need help. If they act like they aren't keep doing it the same and call the steward. If that doesn't work call your Ba. He calls labor manager and labor manager makes them bring you in. Always do it the same now. Fight the urge to step it up on certain days. This is where you live now. Don't sheet where you eat.

poophappens

Thanks everyone, I've never done this route before but I don't even care. Just excited I live down the street and will be able to see my kids more often if they come to me on my breaks.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have been covering for almost 14 years. Covered 1 route for 3, which was really nice, but I kind of like the changes every week. 3 routes are coming up this summer, 1 of which I enjoy doing, so I'll decide then if I am going to make a career of covering or not.

JL 0513

I'm cover and plan on bidding cover for a while. Why?
You cover the best routes more than the worse ones because the best ones are of course done by seniority guys who have the most vacations. Many of them 5 -6 weeks a year. So most days I'm out in the nice towns/country where civilized human beings live and work while people with more seniority than me are sweating in the inner city routes. I'm not bidding a crap route just to have a route.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Now go out there and burn it up! You can build up your stop count in no time!

Plan B is to slow down, take a few OJS's, and enjoy (as much as that is possible) the job.

Good luck!