Keep * from falling

WorknLateHuh

True story... Years back when I first started utility driving, I was sent out blind on a very business heavy route. All supervisors were busy so my center manager told me he would meet me on route around 10:00 after his conference calls. So he meets me eventually and while riding with me he notices I am taking my turns too fast and packages are flying off the shelves. It was an old POS manual transmission and very difficult to get into 2nd gear. So instead of down shifting, I just took my turns faster in 3rd gear so I wouldn't have to shift as much.

He tells me his is going to take over and drive to "show me how to drive smoother". So at the next stop he gets in the drivers seat, adjusts the seat, puts on his seat belt, hits the fob button, hits the ignition button twice, and.....................kills it. He never put the clutch in before starting it! I remind him of that day ever so often :biggrin:

did you turn to your center manager and say, "Leave driving to the professionals." ?

My usual loader is one of the best in the hub. His only issue is when he gets rushed he tends to put stuff on the end of the 8000 shelf then forgets to go back and put it where it goes. Good thing is, I always know where to check if I can't find one or two.

It's easier to put down a box of dog food or something sturdy and rest stuff on that rather than the shelf. That's just lazy, letting unsorted packages lay in your load.

Shout out to the vet's. May you never let UPS put you down.

Every vet in my building is tied with each other for "hardest worker here". They outshine civilians right out the gate.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've gotten constructive comments and it's made me a better worker. It's made drivers days easier. I keep them with my methods and if I forget what they want I'll read the notecard, methods, 8s and 5s. It makes everyone's day easier. Drivers bring me coffee or bagels or soda.

Go be a butthurt manchild somewhere else. I'm in no way sorry you guys get bad loaders. If half of you treat them the way you all talk about them, it's your own fault.
coffee and bagels LOL

The problem is that the preload , in many or even most cases, simply does not have enough time to do a "good job". There are many decent preloaders that look terrible and that failure is at the hands of UPS, not hourlies.

And to blame drivers for either (1) UPS screwing the preload pooch or worse, (2) causing the preloader to not care, and then preloader dishing out crap loads...is silly and man-child"" at best. Try not being so thin-skinned as to the drivers opinions and try doing a better job, instead of trying to get back at them with sabotage /extreme apathy.

Right now I'm not driving, but I will be and have previously....I've been around a few years... But believe me, my sympathy is not with the preload or preloaders, although it's a tough job with too much work crammed in without enough time to do it.

Were you still physically crying when you typed that? Or are you dabbing your eyes with a tissue for the sake of your makeup?

And yeah being brought breakfast by people for simply being good at the job I already do is pretty nice.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

There,I fixed it for ya! Use [ ]

instead of

< >

PatentYogi_Funny-Patent-Pat-on-the-back-apparatus_US-4608967-612x600.jpg

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
It doesn't matter, every preloader in my building is a Stevie Wonder loader, it would be easier for me if everything was in a pile
Nooooooo, don't be like FedEx Home Delivery... we preload our own packages, butt, it eats into the HOS for the day...

Wait, since you're hourly, the dispatcher will have to reduce stops per car to compensate for the drivers preloading their own stuff before they even go on the road... hmmmmm

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Wait, since you're hourly, the dispatcher will have to reduce stops per car to compensate for the drivers preloading their own stuff before they even go on the road... hmmmmm
Not quite how it works. If the sort is not down by the driver start time, loaders get sent home and drivers finish loading but it's not coded out as anything. Just excess am time. (Cant mess up preload numbers). Then, the next day like clockwork, mgmt is bitching and whining about overallowed and excessive am time. All they had to do is start the preload early enough to finish, but hell no...makes too much sense.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I had this housecall/commercial stop up a very bouncy, curving and narrow dirt road. it did not matter how slow you drove it or how packed those shelves were, the package car was a disaster after that stop. They also usually had airs and were in the 1000 section regardless. Not a good way to start the day

MC0493

Combination of driving and loader. Some loaders just like making towers that fall over the second you think of moving the car. Obviously rough driving won't help anything either. I wish i had a loader that cared, the one i deal with most often doesn't even speak english so i can't even address things if i wanted to.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
IMG_0367.JPG
Besides not hitting curbs and driving like a manic, I do this to help secure my load. I jam boxes to the roof to stop them from falling. Especially at the beginning of the 5000 and 7000 sections. This also keeps them from sliding up the shelf. When I mentor new drivers, I tell them they are doing it wrong if they keep picking up the same boxes all day long.

Last edited: