Keeping Schedule

pharacyde

On my run I'm scheduled to arrive at 0200 and depart at 0300.
I arrive on time with my meet guy already there, we swap and pretrip. Do I leave ASAP, or should I wait until the scheduled depart time?

They've asked that we take meal at our TAs, but I'm told we don't have to.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
index.php

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They want you to take your lunch at the T/A after dropping your trailer.
Then take your lunch and hook up to your return load after lunch.
This ensures there is no wasted paid time.
As long as there is no wait time at the turnaround, they probably will not say anything.
If you complete your lunch during a safety check or at your home hub, no additional planned or actual time is incurred.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They want you to take your lunch at the T/A after dropping your trailer.
Then take your lunch and hook up to your return load after lunch.
This ensures there is no wasted paid time.
As long as there is no wait time at the turnaround, they probably will not say anything.
If you complete your lunch during a safety check or at your home hub, no additional planned or actual time is incurred.
But he can take his break whenever he chooses (depending on local and feeder language).

When I'm
Hungry I stop and eat. End of story.

barnyard

KTM rider
How many hours have you been working when you get to the swap??

I cover other runs and ask the bid guys when they take their meal and try to match their schedule.

pharacyde

Do I need to leave the TA as soon as we're done, or leave at the scheduled time? Let's say I plan to stop on the way up for 30min and on the way back for 30min leaving no meal time for the TA.

barnyard

KTM rider
If your meet guy is already there, taking 30 minutes before you get there would have him sitting for 30 more minutes. I would guess that your supe would pressure you not to do that.

SnowCitizen

The one hour turnaround includes your meal. If you don't want your meal, that should be no problem, but there is no legitimate reason for you to sit around for an hour. If you want to use up all the time the schedule allows, then you should leave by 0230 and take your meal whenever you feel like on the way back.

If you take 30 minutes on the way there, sit there for the hour like the schedule says, and take 30 minutes on the way back, they could probably go after you for stealing time. I would talk to a steward if you have any questions.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The one hour turnaround includes your meal. If you don't want your meal, that should be no problem, but there is no legitimate reason for you to sit around for an hour. If you want to use up all the time the schedule allows, then you should leave by 0230 and take your meal whenever you feel like on the way back.

If you take 30 minutes on the way there, sit there for the hour like the schedule says, and take 30 minutes on the way back, they could probably go after you for stealing time. I would talk to a steward if you have any questions.
Probably? How about definitely.

And if he is scheduled to take his meal at the meet point, that is where it is to be taken as long as there is a place to eat and has restroom facilities.

A driver was scheduled to take his meal at his turn around. He was not doing that and was instructed to do so. That is what the schedule said.

He continued to take it on his way back home. He was fired for stealing time. Got 4 weeks off, unpaid, and now takes his meal as scheduled.

Here is why per the state panel. At his turn around, he loses no time for meal. After he drops his trailers, he hits meal and goes to the break room. When his meal is over, he hooks his set and then leaves. His meal is 30 minutes and that is all he gets.

When he was stopping on the way back, it took him time to get off the highway, get parked, and then get back onto the highway after his meal.

It was taking him an extra 15 minutes to get back to where he was on the highway over and above his 30 minute meal. He was fired for stealing 15 minutes everyday.

He was doing the same thing for his break an hour later. A 10 minute break turned into 20 minutes to get back to where he was on the highway.

UPS cannot do anything about the break, but they fired him for the meal.

UPS is trimming fat to reduce costs. And they are aggressively going after people for stealing time.

upschuck

Had a guy fired recently for not taking break while waiting for a trailer to be ready, then when it was ready would take his hour break.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I
Guess feeders is a little different obviously.

I know as package car many take their break whenever they like but if you take it from 9:30-10:30 and have late air you'd be unemployed also.