Keeping Schedule

oldngray

nowhere special
Stealing time shouldn't stick but I was thinking they might have used failure to follow instructions which might have given UPS a leg to stand on.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In my local, if we're waiting on loads to be loaded, say it takes 3 hours. We have to burn 45 minutes of meal, after that, every minute goes to central sort

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Stealing time shouldn't stick but I was thinking they might have used failure to follow instructions which might have given UPS a leg to stand on.
No. Stealing time.

By not taking his meal while waiting for the loads, and then taking his 30 min or 60 min meal after his loads were ready, he extended his day by this 30 or 60 minutes, whatever he gets for meal. It is different everywhere.

This is stealing time and a dischargeable offense.

It will usually not stick on the first offense, unless he is already a problem child.

But he may end up getting a few weeks off unpaid.

MaceFremonti

If we wait an hour or more we have to burn 30. When I'm on my 30 I am nowhere near my equipment or doing anyrhing remotely close to being considered work......like posting on Brown Cafe.....lol

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Like I tell all my buddies who went feeders, still the same logo on your equipment and uniform, don't get too cozy.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If they told him that his load wouldn't be there for an hour and he was free to go take lunch then i understand. Most likely they had no clue when the load would arrive and told him to sit, wait, and leave as soon as it arrived. That is clearly time he is on the clock working. I personally would have burned my break time but if there was no Denny's in the parking lot where i can get a grand slam I'm taking lunch elsewhere.

oldngray

nowhere special
If they told him that his load wouldn't be there for an hour and he was free to go take lunch then i understand. Most likely they had no clue when the load would arrive and told him to sit, wait, and leave as soon as it arrived. That is clearly time he is on the clock working. I personally would have burned my break time but if there was no Denny's in the parking lot where i can get a grand slam I'm taking lunch elsewhere.

Agreed, if they require him to take a lunch then he doesn't have to stay there waiting for a trailer to show up. If he has to wait and watch then he is on the clock.

pharacyde

So here's the thing that happened on my last meet. I get there on time. I didn't go on meal because I didn't want to be away from the truck if the other guy showed up and make him wait around on me. He showed up about 20 minutes later. Should I do that? Or should I immediately go on meal if he's not there and just make him wait?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here's a thought----why don't the drivers who are going to be meeting to swap loads or whatever it is that they do get a hold of each other about a half hour before they expect to arrive at the meet point?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The only run i had that had a meet point was in a rural area and you would unhook, drop the set and park off to the side, go eat subway and play video slots.
Just ask the meet driver what usually happens.

SnowCitizen

So here's the thing that happened on my last meet. I get there on time. I didn't go on meal because I didn't want to be away from the truck if the other guy showed up and make him wait around on me. He showed up about 20 minutes later. Should I do that? Or should I immediately go on meal if he's not there and just make him wait?

You really need to talk to a steward for advice. If your schedule says you should take a meal at your TA, but instead you sit there for 20 or 30 or 40 minutes waiting for the other driver, you risk getting terminated for stealing time and losing out on a six figure job. Please do yourself a favor and talk to a steward instead of strangers.

MaceFremonti

My division's policy is if you are waiting an hour then you have to burn at least 30. If you are waiting 59 minutes or less you can use "Tailer Not Ready" delay.