Key fobs wearing out?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've been in 3 trucks recently that had the keys put back on the keychain with the key fob because the fob was only working sporadically or not at all, or in one case only if you pushed hard on the very edge of the button on the right side...Anyone else noticing key fobs starting to break down? And is it the button going or batteries? Can the mechanics weigh in if they know?

It doesn't seem to be a big priority to anyone because I haven't seen the fobs replaced after I wrote them up on the dvir, just the keys put back on the rings.

ManInBrown

I've been in 3 trucks recently that had the keys put back on the keychain with the key fob because the fob was only working sporadically or not at all, or in one case only if you pushed hard on the very edge of the button on the right side...

Had the same problem with one a couple weeks ago. It only worked if you hit it just right, on the right corner. They must of replaced it with a new fob because I had the same truck last week and it worked fine.

UPSGUY72

The FOB run about $50 a piece while a replacement key is about $1 changing a core is a little more but still no where near $50.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I write the fob up on the DVIR

I swear the mechanics feel like I'm asking them to rebuild the engine !!!

You almost need an IT degree to be a mechanic at UPS nowadays

FilingBluesFL

I think in our center, there is only ONE car, that I know of, that has ONLY the key FOB.

Every other car with the system has the keys available.

There are some cars with the FOB system installed that the FOB's are just... gone. Missing.

Interesting idea, horrid execution. Typical UPS.

Have had so many problems with that system, it's just absurd.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think in our center, there is only ONE car, that I know of, that has ONLY the key FOB.

Every other car with the system has the keys available.

There are some cars with the FOB system installed that the FOB's are just... gone. Missing.

Interesting idea, horrid execution. Typical UPS.

Have had so many problems with that system, it's just absurd.

The sad thing is if your car went from keys-fob-keys, your planned day still adds the few stops that the fob saved you by UPS standards :dissapointed:

Upsmule

What an utterly worthless waste of money. But a great tool if no one has anywhere to be -- or any plans after work that day, or any day. :/

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I've been in 3 trucks recently that had the keys put back on the keychain with the key fob because the fob was only working sporadically or not at all, or in one case only if you pushed hard on the very edge of the button on the right side...Anyone else noticing key fobs starting to break down? And is it the button going or batteries? Can the mechanics weigh in if they know?

It doesn't seem to be a big priority to anyone because I haven't seen the fobs replaced after I wrote them up on the dvir, just the keys put back on the rings.

Usually it's the battery first, then the button from mashing down on it because of said battery.