Kidney stones

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
How many drivers have had to deal with kidney stones? I did last year and when I talked to the urologist he said that he has seen more UPS drivers for this than construction workers.

CFLBrown

Lack of proper hydration could be a major cause. There are people that are more prone to them, but if you aren't replacing fluids adequately you may get them. Just drink fluids and you're set. I've had some minor ones and 1 major one. They are not fun and this was before I worked for UPS.

over9five

Staff member
I've had two. Drink lots of water, they're more prevalent in the summer (according to my doc).

I now take some kind of pill in the summer months because I seem to be prone to this.

OK, I'll go look........

Allopurinol

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have had two of them. The first one was about a half inch long and was cut out of my back. This was about twenty years ago before they started blasting them apart with sound waves. The second one was smaller, the Urologist could never find it with x-rays. I passed it on my delivery route, it wasn't as bad as everyone says.

I have been lucky ever since, especially with my diet. You are supposed to drink a lot of water to flush yourself out. On the weekend, lots of beer will do the same thing.:blink:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I ended up in the ER a few months ago with them. OMG I hurt so bad. That day morphine was my best friend. LOL I know dehydration has alot to do with and so does diet. I'm starting the cranberry juice, as it's already starting to warm up here. Wyobrown might be right as far as having to wait so much, but I'mwondering if it's not also partly because we get beat up pretty good with these crappy trucks we drive. I tell you what, I hope I never get another one.

filthpig

How many drivers have had to deal with kidney stones? I did last year and when I talked to the urologist he said that he has seen more UPS drivers for this than construction workers.
Boy howdy that was a fun 9 hrs. Ever been hit in the kidneys? That's what it feels like. A very deep and intense pain. Not a burning or stinging (like you would think something urinary would feel) but like you've been hit with a bat.
And I've heard that kidney stones CAN be aggravated be low fluid intake, but it's mostly hereditary.

SmithBarney

While a gross thought those of you who use Bottles...
take a look at your "deposit" several hours later..
sometimes what you see can be an indicator as to
the potential for stones..
Also drink water till your pee is clear.. bright yellow not great.

FAVREFAN

I'm a part-timer. I work a construction job in the day and UPS at night. Anyways, here's a somewhat related nasty story. Usually there aren't too many places to go twinkle at my day job, so the gatorade bottle gets a second use very often. Sometimes after I fill it, I'll shake it up and throw it at someone. Never opens, just scares the crap out of the recipient. Well one time, this guy got mad and took off the cap and threw it back at me. I learned my lesson as the contents began to exit as it flew through the air at 80 mph towards my head. lol!

WyoBrown

Guys have it so easy! If I could, I would use the Vitamin Water bottle...a new low for me.

But I would NEVER throw it at anyone! Ha!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
my son had it at only 16,thought the boy was dying ,didn't think a kid so
young would get it. his dr. said it was rare and needs more fluids!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I,ve used my water cups in an emergency (throw em away later). I'll even use a trash can if there is one in the truck. On rural rtes I have no problem finding a tree or a bush. Not the embarrasing type, when ya gotta go you gotta go!!!!!!!!!!! If I ever get my own rte I will make sure there is a trash can, even if I have to buy it. LOL

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I,ve used my water cups in an emergency (throw em away later). I'll even use a trash can if there is one in the truck. On rural rtes I have no problem finding a tree or a bush. Not the embarrasing type, when ya gotta go you gotta go!!!!!!!!!!! If I ever get my own rte I will make sure there is a trash can, even if I have to buy it. LOL

Oh gawd. A trash can? What in the world do you do with it, dump it out on your route?

I thought you were a lady?

WyoBrown

Too funny!!!!!! Just make sure you whip that DIAD pouch outta the way first. And maybe your preloader should wear gloves? :wink2: