L.A. partners with UPS to deliver, pick up COVID-19 tests

35years

Gravy route
Transporting Infectious Substances Overview | PHMSA

Biological Substances, Category B
Biological Substance
, Category B means an infectious substance that is not in a form generally capable of causing permanent disability or life-threatening or fatal disease in otherwise healthy humans or animals when exposure to it occurs.

Category A Infectious Substances are infectious substances in a form that, when exposure to it occurs, is capable of causing permanent disability, life-threatening or fatal disease in otherwise healthy humans or animals.

35years

Gravy route
Shipping prohibited articles on a contractual basis with UPS

Certain items we list as prohibited will be accepted by UPS on a contractual basis for shippers with regular volume and the ability to comply with all applicable regulations.

The items we can carry under certain criteria are:

-Biological substances, Category B and exempt human or animal specimens

quad decade guy

Shipping prohibited articles on a contractual basis with UPS

Certain items we list as prohibited will be accepted by UPS on a contractual basis for shippers with regular volume and the ability to comply with all applicable regulations.

The items we can carry under certain criteria are:

-Biological substances, Category B and exempt human or animal specimens

And? This all sounds good but maybe I'm a little slow, this isn't happening in reality.

How do you explain this?

35years

Gravy route
If the telemedicine doctor decides to prescribe an Everlywell COVID-19 test, the company says it will send the $135 test kit in two days (customers can pay $30 more to receive the kit overnight). The kit comes with a special swab that is long enough to take samples from the back of the nose and throat area, along with instructions for how to seal the swab sample to send it back to the company. People can also provide both spit and sputum samples as backups. (For now, the Food and Drug Administration only validates samples from nasoparyngeal swabs, but companies have applied to test spit and sputum.).

The sample is sent in a pre-paid overnight package, and processed at one of several labs approved by the FDA to perform the test around the country within 72 hours.

So yes, we are picking up self administered samples from individual, untrained, sick people.

35years

Gravy route
Specimen Packing and Shipping
Q: Do people packing patient specimens, isolates or cultures for transport need to be trained and competent?
A: For transporting patient specimens, cultures or isolates, personnel must be trained in the proper safety, packing, and shipping regulations for Division 6.2, UN 3373 Biological Substance, Category B in accordance with the current edition of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR)external icon. Personnel should be trained in a manner that corresponds to their function-specific responsibilities.

For additional information, refer to the following:
Guidance on regulations for the transport of infectious substances 2019 – 2020pdf iconexternal icon

Q: What specific packaging should personnel use when shipping suspected or confirmed SARS-CoV-2 patient specimens, isolates or cultures?
A: Pack and ship suspected or confirmed SARS-CoV-2 patient specimens, cultures or isolates as UN 3373 Biological Substance, Category B, in accordance with the current edition of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR)external icon:

1. A leakproof primary container.
2. A leakproof, watertight secondary packaging with absorbent material.
3. A rigid outer packaging to protect the specimens during shipment.

For additional information, refer to the following:
IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations Packaging Instruction 650pdf iconexternal icon
Interim Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines for Handling and Processing Specimens Associated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Laboratory biosafety guidance related to the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)pdf iconexternal icon

35years

Gravy route
Q: What information is required on an overpack if used for specimen shipment?
A: The overpack should be marked in accordance with the packing instructions required for the outer package:

1. Hazard labeled with UN Identification Number already on the label – UN 3373
  2. Biological Substance, Category B
  3. Shipper’s name, address, and phone number
  4. Receiver’s name, address, and phone number
  5. Package Orientation Label
  6. Marked with the word “Overpack”
  7. Name and phone number of a responsible person is optional if it is on the airway bill

MattM

About 12 years back. My building did an emergency airport test run of vaccine shipments. Did anyone else do this?

Story is, we had real police and a real jet with fake vaccine boxes that had tight security that got processed a different way than other things. We haven’t had a test run since. Are we bound to do something similar?

Where’s that hazard pay?

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
C'mon guys you know UPS would have us pickup nuclear waste with no protective equipment if it was legal. This is not unexpected.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I’ve largely been very optimistic and proud of our need thus far. But.....This really takes it to another level.

There’s some major issues with this plan. We still aren’t agreed on with it’s survivability on cardboard or other surfaces. Considering that customers are Jackasses when it comes to packing their stuff, this really presents a major liability.

I suppose at this point we wait and see what sort of protocol these pickups receive. They can’t just expect us to just walk up to a biohazard whistling like we’re just there for your set of curtains you’re sending back to Amazon.

Heavy Package

One idiot sneezing or coughing in a box and we might infect a whole hub. I would rather STRIKE!

Look at all the inbound S that goes through the system, unload, preload, etc. I'll take the $20 per pickup. We are all going to get it soon enough anyway. People in and out of the dispatch office, filthy trucks / logs / DIADS / keys, etc etc. Just remember how essential you are to getting grandma her Amazon box lol.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Look at all the inbound S that goes through the system, unload, preload, etc. I'll take the $20 per pickup. We are all going to get it soon enough anyway. People in and out of the dispatch office, filthy trucks / logs / DIADS / keys, etc etc. Just remember how essential you are to getting grandma her Amazon box lol.
We wont get $20 a pickup and I was being dramatic.
I disinfect everything I contact daily and my only risk in the morning is making it to the diad room and to my truck. I am not one of the guys that complain about ppe while gathering in mass and ignoring social distancing. My motto is:stay the :censored2: away from me and I won't have to smack the dog :censored2: outta you.

quad decade guy

I’ve largely been very optimistic and proud of our need thus far. But.....This really takes it to another level.

There’s some major issues with this plan. We still aren’t agreed on with it’s survivability on cardboard or other surfaces. Considering that customers are Jackasses when it comes to packing their stuff, this really presents a major liability.

I suppose at this point we wait and see what sort of protocol these pickups receive. Just can't expect us to just walk up to a biohazard whistling like we’re just there for your set of curtains you’re sending back to Amazon.

Yeah they do.