Labor shortage concern at Fedex

falcon back

Our MD when they were in made mention that FDX is going to find out here pretty quick whether the hiring issue is with people staying home and getting paid or if it is something bigger.

Lots of couriers complaining about pay in this area. Many drivers think that they company plan is becoming the ground model, where drivers stay a few years then leave when they figure out it is not a career. Courier training is what 2 days? One day on the computer and one day of defensive driving? Your little handheld device tells you exactly what to do and how to do it. They can hire about any fool off the street to follow the directions of a handheld device. Get hired on and work a few years until you figure out the pay progression is moving at a snails pace. Quit. Company hires another low pay worker for a few years until the light bulb in their head comes on and they leave. FDX continues with this rinse and repeat formula. Company owes the worker nothing when they leave. No more pension to pay out. Cheap crappy benefits when the employee is here which the company pays very little for.

Legacy employees are the dinosaurs. Cheap labor that sticks around for a few years and then leaves is what the company is after now. Job knowledge is a thing of the past. No reason to pay for that when a cheap handheld device will do all the thinking and routing for the driver.
Your facts about courier training are incorrect, but since when did facts ever matter. Defensive driving and courier class are 2 totally different events.

Lates

People are working six months to a year with out going to courier class. Just have to do the computer part and defensive driving then get thrown on the road with out a clue. Defensive driving while it is a day and two hours could be done in just three hours. Courier class is really only two days now and what they show you could be done in a day it’s out of touch with with what we do today. The instructor hasn’t been on the road in 30 years and has no idea how the Leo works.

SmithBarney

...Your little handheld device tells you exactly what to do and how to do it. They can hire about any fool off the street to follow the directions of a handheld device...
Problem is, we've been hiring "any fool off the street" and they can't do the job. We have more than a few utility type crrs and they regularly grossly underperform.. another problem is Management doesn't seem to care, heaven forbid if you mess up your time card everyone on the sort has to hear about it, but its A-OK to go out for 8+ hours with 40 stops...(in town, not rural)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So what's the uptake of that information? Are you saying they should pay more than $20+? Or are you saying pay them minimum wage again because we can't get people even at 20+ anyway so why offer? Or is it in the middle somewhere? I don't know personally but I am not sure new handlers should make more than I do at 14yrs as a courier but that probably says more about courier pay than handler pay.
I'm saying that throwing money at the issue didn't solve it.

And people wonder why FedEx is pumping so much much money into automation.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Legacy employees are the dinosaurs. Cheap labor that sticks around for a few years and then leaves is what the company is after now. Job knowledge is a thing of the past. No reason to pay for that when a cheap handheld device will do all the thinking and routing for the driver.
The point has been raised here before. When I was a courier, there wasn't much of anything that I knew at the end of year 2 on a route that I didn't know at the end of year 1. It's not that difficult once you learn the area. We had guys who'd been on routes for 10+ years who thought that they were irreplaceable and that their knowledge would take years to learn. Nope.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The point has been raised here before. When I was a courier, there wasn't much of anything that I knew at the end of year 2 on a route that I didn't know at the end of year 1. It's not that difficult once you learn the area. We had guys who'd been on routes for 10+ years who thought that they were irreplaceable and that their knowledge would take years to learn. Nope.
And then a smartass like me will point out that that says more about you than the 10 year guy.

The librarian who lives 10 miles out that takes delivery at the library.

The mother of the guy who lives 15 miles out who will sign for DSR that works in town at the convenience store.

The….. you get the drift. Right?

It will be fine

And then a smartass like me will point out that that says more about you than the 10 year guy.

The librarian who lives 10 miles out that takes delivery at the library.

The mother of the guy who lives 15 miles out who will sign for DSR that works in town at the convenience store.

The….. you get the drift. Right?
That you’ll disregard where the shipper sent the package if it makes your day easier. If people want deliveries sent to their work they can address them there.

SmithBarney

Look if "anyone can do the job" than anyone would... the fact is turnover is at a all time high because not just anyone can do the job,
-we have <5yr drivers on a single route who still map everything on roadwarrior, and still do horribly.
-we have new hires who drive into the garage doors trying to pull out of the building,
-we have management that doesn't care about actually making service.
-we have engineers that decided to make changes and hope for the best. <- this was told to us "they'll make the change and tweak it afterword" instead of consulting with the loops before, now they are having emergency loop meetings to fix it.

about the only ones who care is the mechanic and the senior crrs who stand in disbelief of what is happening. the good crrs are doing what they can, but you can only tread water for so long with your hands tied.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
As usual you’re full of crap.

falcon back

Look if "anyone can do the job" than anyone would... the fact is turnover is at a all time high because not just anyone can do the job,
-we have <5yr drivers on a single route who still map everything on roadwarrior, and still do horribly.
-we have new hires who drive into the garage doors trying to pull out of the building,
-we have management that doesn't care about actually making service.
-we have engineers that decided to make changes and hope for the best. <- this was told to us "they'll make the change and tweak it afterword" instead of consulting with the loops before, now they are having emergency loop meetings to fix it.

about the only ones who care is the mechanic and the senior crrs who stand in disbelief of what is happening. the good crrs are doing what they can, but you can only tread water for so long with your hands tied.
LOL. ANYONE with common sense can deliver packages. It requires common sense, time management and being organized. You act like it takes a brain surgeon to do it. Might be too tough for you but it isn't that difficult.

SmithBarney

LOL. ANYONE with common sense can deliver packages. It requires common sense, time management and being organized. You act like it takes a brain surgeon to do it. Might be too tough for you but it isn't that difficult.
And I wonder why I have you on ignore...
I don't disagree, perhaps our hiring criteria should have that listed... but you're arguing the wrong point. If "anyone" could do it, and yes I imagine many people could do it, but a large majority of the "anyones" we hire, quit after a short while.

I didn't say you have to be a brain surgeon, but clearly this isn't the job for just "Anyone" as previously stated.
For example, it's not hard to flip burgers all day, or be a short order cook, but not everyone can stand in front of a hot grill for hours on end and do a good job.
Can "anyone" cook a burger? Sure. Can "anyone" cook 500 perfectly, consistently day after day? Nope, only the person that wants too.

You obviously have never been tasked with training anyone. Your vastly underestimating the incompetence of the average new hire. I’ve seen people mess things up in ways that you wouldn’t even think possible. Of the dozens of people I’ve trained I can say with certainty only about 6 had common sense and a good work ethic.

Fergus Mahoney

Our MD when they were in made mention that FDX is going to find out here pretty quick whether the hiring issue is with people staying home and getting paid or if it is something bigger.

Lots of couriers complaining about pay in this area. Many drivers think that they company plan is becoming the ground model, where drivers stay a few years then leave when they figure out it is not a career. Courier training is what 2 days? One day on the computer and one day of defensive driving? Your little handheld device tells you exactly what to do and how to do it. They can hire about any fool off the street to follow the directions of a handheld device. Get hired on and work a few years until you figure out the pay progression is moving at a snails pace. Quit. Company hires another low pay worker for a few years until the light bulb in their head comes on and they leave. FDX continues with this rinse and repeat formula. Company owes the worker nothing when they leave. No more pension to pay out. Cheap crappy benefits when the employee is here which the company pays very little for.

Man they white trash
The point has been raised here before. When I was a courier, there wasn't much of anything that I knew at the end of year 2 on a route that I didn't know at the end of year 1. It's not that difficult once you learn the area. We had guys who'd been on routes for 10+ years who thought that they were irreplaceable and that their knowledge would take years to learn. NoI don't where you are from but in my area, it's takes 3 couriers do a route that

And I wonder why I have you on ignore...
I don't disagree, perhaps our hiring criteria should have that listed... but you're arguing the wrong point. If "anyone" could do it, and yes I imagine many people could do it, but a large majority of the "anyones" we hire, quit after a short while.

I didn't say you have to be a brain surgeon, but clearly this isn't the job for just "Anyone" as previously stated.
For example, it's not hard to flip burgers all day, or be a short order cook, but not everyone can stand in front of a hot grill for hours on end and do a good job.
Can "anyone" cook a burger? Sure. Can "anyone" cook 500 perfectly, consistently day after day? Nope, only the person that wants too.
Good point. My station has lost alot of good couriers the last 6 months and the ones they are hiring it's takes 2 sometimes 3 new people to do what they did all day. They have new couriers getting 10-11 hours doing literally 30 stops. The managers just laugh and shake their head. These retired guys on here have got no clue how bad things have gotten the last year. I just laugh at the ignorance and sadness they must have in their life to spend their golden years on a message board putting people down for a company they no longer work at. Pathetic.

falcon back

You obviously have never been tasked with training anyone. Your vastly underestimating the incompetence of the average new hire. I’ve seen people mess things up in ways that you wouldn’t even think possible. Of the dozens of people I’ve trained I can say with certainty only about 6 had common sense and a good work ethic.
You just validated my point. Common sense is a key element to doing the job. Never been tasked with training anyone? Lol. If only you knew.

falcon back

Man they white trash

Good point. My station has lost alot of good couriers the last 6 months and the ones they are hiring it's takes 2 sometimes 3 new people to do what they did all day. They have new couriers getting 10-11 hours doing literally 30 stops. The managers just laugh and shake their head. These retired guys on here have got no clue how bad things have gotten the last year. I just laugh at the ignorance and sadness they must have in their life to spend their golden years on a message board putting people down for a company they no longer work at. Pathetic.
Sorry couriers and bad managers have been around since the beginning of time. You actually think they just started in the last year?

falcon back

Well I see the point sailed over your head once again. I suppose your barber crop dusts your hair too.
Isn't it about time for your shift at White Castle to start. Retiring broke really makes you angry. Maybe Tex can let you bunk with him in his car. I bet he will let you spoon with him, he might actually encourage it.