Late night deliveries

M

Mike hunt

I have had women out in the country come to the door with guns in hand when I rang the bell at 8:30 on a dark winter night. I don't blame them; they were home alone with children in an area where it might take half an hour for the sheriff to respond to a 911 call and they didn't know who was on their porch. There simply comes a point where it is no longer safe or appropriate to be walking up to peoples houses at night.
That would scare me good it that happened to me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Intruders don't normally drive a UPS truck and knock or ring doorbells.

A significant portion of my rural deliveries involve being forced to park down below or out of sight of the front door and then walking the package up to the house. There aren't any streetlights out in the country. Dogs run loose, and while I know most of them they can behave much differently when its pitch black and all they see is a guy with a flashlight walking up the driveway. Customers...99% of whom are armed...can also behave much differently, especially at 10:00 at night.

Indecisi0n

A significant portion of my rural deliveries involve being forced to park down below or out of sight of the front door and then walking the package up to the house. There aren't any streetlights out in the country. Dogs run loose, and while I know most of them they can behave much differently when its pitch black and all they see is a guy with a flashlight walking up the driveway. Customers...99% of whom are armed...can also behave much differently, especially at 10:00 at night.
Why not carry a flashlight so they see you coming?

soberups

Why not carry a flashlight so they see you coming?
I do carry a flashlight.

Problem is...they don't see me coming. They see an anonymous stranger in dark clothing with a flashlight walking up their driveway. If they cant see the truck, they have no way of knowing its me.

Indecisi0n

I do carry a flashlight.

Problem is...they don't see me coming. They see an anonymous stranger in dark clothing with a flashlight walking up their driveway. If they cant see the truck, they have no way of knowing its me.
If you carry and light and announce UPS I don't see a problem.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy

Where it's warm and the windows are open, maybe. Where its wt cold, the place is sealed up, tabs blasting Charlie Browns Christmas, and you pop up out of the dark? Better hope they're not the panicky, shoot first type.

soberups

Dogs don't understand the meaning of the word "UPS" when you approach them at 10:00PM with a flashlight.

Nervous, armed moms alone at home with their kids who cant see your truck don't relax and let their guard down just because you shout out "UPS" at 10:00PM either.

Start delivering rural stops at 10:00 at night and I can guarantee you will see the problem.

AKCoverMan

I saved my lunch until End of Day and took it from 2100-2200 to avoid knocking on doors after 2100. it worked well for me,and gave e an extra hour of Daylight to deliver
Daylight is at a premium for us here in The Last Frontier..our sunset today is at 1546. Fortunately we are on the downhill side and gaining daylight now.

On rural routes in winter I never take a lunch and rarely a break before it gets dark out I want to deliver as much as possible in daylight. Then I will usually take just my paid breaks (not giving up paid time!). I smimply don't enter an unpaid lunch.

728 do you actually sit at the center (or somewhere) for an hour between 2100-2200 and get home that much later? Yuck!

Last edited:

AKCoverMan

We are (supposedly at least) expected to walk off residential driveways in order to avoid showing up on Telematics.

"Stay out of driveways." Yes, sure. If it's really just a driveway. But in the country some folks live 1/8 mile off the road. Those aren't "driveways" in my book..they are private roads. I drive on those.

I was pleasantly surprised in PCM one day when our center manager while talking about staying out of driveways made the exact same comment excepting the driveway rule when faced with long country driveways.