Latest takeaway

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
How do you figure that from what I said? Got one after 1 yr of being employed, and got the most recent one now at my 5th yr of being at Express. But YOU obviously wouldn't know how the safe driver awards are given. [emoji3]
I think I do actually. I've received over 30 of the stupid things. Certainly not bragging about that or anything - but I've never had anywhere near 4 years between awards. You're definitely right though - they are junk. Insultingly so.
"oh gee, I can't decide between this neato MP3 player, the Tasco binoculars or the Swiss Army pen knife. Oh I know, I'll select this "The World on Time" set of 4 kan koozies."
Pricks

dezguy

My 15 year safe driving award was a Bose Bluetooth worth $299 at Best Buy. I was impressed.
I remember guys getting TV's and surround sound systems for safe driving, when I first started. Last year, I decided to check the 20 and 25 year awards (I'm one year away from the former) and they're no longer offered. The best thing I saw was a golf bag and I don't golf.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I remember guys getting TV's and surround sound systems for safe driving, when I first started. Last year, I decided to check the 20 and 25 year awards (I'm one year away from the former) and they're no longer offered. The best thing I saw was a golf bag and I don't golf.

Order it and sell it.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Let's face it, dezguy - yer just gonna have to learn to golf in order to make use of that wonderful gift from the company.
I think I'm gonna learn - might just as well, as I already have the helmet.

SmithBarney

I think I do actually. I've received over 30 of the stupid things. Certainly not bragging about that or anything - but I've never had anywhere near 4 years between awards. You're definitely right though - they are junk. Insultingly so.
"oh gee, I can't decide between this neato MP3 player, the Tasco binoculars or the Swiss Army pen knife. Oh I know, I'll select this "The World on Time" set of 4 kan koozies."
Pricks
yes but now even those chinzy gifts are gone, I love my coolers, and luggage... now you get a dust collector.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm too lazy to look for the correct thread but this one covers it too. Have any of you had or know of anyone who has actually had to use all their days off except one week vacation while they were on STD/LTD/FMLA, due to the policy change FedEx made last year? Everyone had to use their sick leave but no other days. No one in my station has and when a friend of mine asked a few managers about it they had no idea what she was talking about. Are my managers or HCMP clueless or did we all misunderstand the change?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Also, I just found out something today I've never heard of. If you get sick the last week of May and have no sick days left, they pay you sick leave from what you get June 1st of the next FY. I'm looking at the policy right now and it says it's based on the payroll end date for the FY, which ISN'T June 1. The end date differs from year to year. If anyone wants to check it out themselves, it's under 1-7 Medical Absence Pay Period, Map bonus section.

whenIgetthere

Also, I just found out something today I've never heard of. If you get sick the last week of May and have no sick days left, they pay you sick leave from what you get June 1st of the next FY. I'm looking at the policy right now and it says it's based on the payroll end date for the FY, which ISN'T June 1. The end date differs from year to year. If anyone wants to check it out themselves, it's under 1-7 Medical Absence Pay Period, Map bonus section.

I think you are correct on this point.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah I saw that.... It just gets stupider all the time.

I'm like you, and had a pile of awards etc. I've dumped all of them, including selling the old gold pins for their scrap value. This company has made safe driving meaningless, even though the prevention of just 1 serious accident can save the company millions in costs. In return, you get a piece of paper or a foam beverage holder emblazoned with "FEDEX".

A while back, I made a mistake and went above and beyond in dealing with a broken-down CTV issue. My solution saved service and probably an accident because of the precarious location. My reward was a paper BZ and a cheap lunchbox/cooler, both of which I placed directly in the trash in front of a workgroup meeting.

The senior was not pleased, and I just told him that he could keep his awards.

whenIgetthere

I'm like you, and had a pile of awards etc. I've dumped all of them, including selling the old gold pins for their scrap value. This company has made safe driving meaningless, even though the prevention of just 1 serious accident can save the company millions in costs. In return, you get a piece of paper or a foam beverage holder emblazoned with "FEDEX".

A while back, I made a mistake and went above and beyond in dealing with a broken-down CTV issue. My solution saved service and probably an accident because of the precarious location. My reward was a paper BZ and a cheap lunchbox/cooler, both of which I placed directly in the trash in front of a workgroup meeting.

My last BZ was a BZ t-shirt that was two sizes too small for me. I turned around and gave it to a co-worker who stills bleeds purple. My manager's face was red he was so mad. He never said anything to me about it, though. Must have cost them 49 cents.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So rather than accept them in the appreciative manner that they were presented you decided to be an ass by embarrassing your senior in front of your peers? I don't care if you :censored2: canned them while walking to your van-----there was no purpose for what you did other than to embarrass your SM.

vantexan

So rather than accept them in the appreciative manner that they were presented you decided to be an ass by embarrassing your senior in front of your peers? I don't care if you :censored2: canned them while walking to your van-----there was no purpose for what you did other than to embarrass your SM.
Yeah, they slowed pay progression to a trickle, took away our traditional pension, made our healthcare too expensive to use, but we're supposed to act all appreciative for the little trinkets they give us to show how much they care. Right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah, they slowed pay progression to a trickle, took away our traditional pension, made our healthcare too expensive to use, but we're supposed to act all appreciative for the little trinkets they give us to show how much they care. Right.

A simple "thank you" and then toss the trinkets in to the trash on the way to your van.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Don't overlook tickets to Splash Splash Water Park, free admission the entire month of January!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I don't know about Fedex so I will use UPS as an example. The average Tier 3 accident costs UPS about 50 thousand dollars. Think of the money that a driver will save UPS if he or she is never involved in an accident. How about over a career? The first few years blind luck plays a high percent of a driver's career accident free. Though luck is still a factor, experience is a larger percentage maintaining an accident free year as the years go by.
What I am getting at? If you save a company just a portion of that 50 thousand dollars during the year of driving, then a proper compensation for your safe driving should be more than a simple thanks.
We have drivers that have over 30 years of save driving and you know what they get for their contribution. A piece of paper. Ridiculous!!!!