Lay me off?

Slacker45

...and been patently unfair to those who have lost their livelihoods through no fault of their own...

Uber/Lyft drivers, restaurant workers, hospitality workers, etc., have been unfairly displaced as a result of this crisis.

$2K/month for someone who is still working and has not been adversely affected by this crisis would be unfair to those who are sitting at home through no fault of their own and trying to figure out how they are going to pay their rent on the 1st of the month.
Those people working are risking their lives and the lives of their family

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Those people working are risking their lives and the lives of their family

No more than usual. I'd say any given person is about .00000001% more likely to die with coronavirus on the scene than without it. Totally worth plunging the world into a massive depression that will likely kill millions more than the virus ever would.

clean hairy

Hell, freeze mortgages, too.
And the idea of getting a (high) percentage of your paycheck instead of a handout for unemployment is probably better to actually help people, I think. But if the point is to protect the economy--and that's really all the state cares about--people need cash and they need it immediately and universally.
Call JG Wentworth?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
It generally takes a minimum of 90 days to evict someone-----tack on an additional 90 days and you could effectively live rent free for up to 6 months.
The issue was about compensation not how many days to evict. 6 months "free"?
The courts will reopen full tilt and garnishment will be available. Nothing will be free. And if the property owner is a slum lord well, you reap what you plant.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The issue was about compensation not how many days to evict. 6 months "free"?
The courts will reopen full tilt and garnishment will be available. Nothing will be free. And if the property owner is a slum lord well, you reap what you plant.

If you know that you are about to be evicted you are normally going to stop paying rent, hence the first 90 days.

If the govt is prohibiting evictions for 90 days, you are normally not going to start paying rent, hence the second 90 days.

90 + 90 = 180

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If you know that you are about to be evicted you are normally going to stop paying rent, hence the first 90 days.

If the govt is prohibiting evictions for 90 days, you are normally not going to start paying rent, hence the second 90 days.

90 + 90 = 180
Dur dude.
No pay rent? Hence a court date is set up, judgement is found against you, if you dont pay you are found in contempt of court or you get a joband your check is garnished.
Pay now or pay more later.

The subject was about the government paying your rent not about freeloading and attempting to walk away from your signed agreement.

zimbomb

Whose gonna pay your insurance
That's the rub. COBRA is possible but you will need to pay roughly $500 a week for an individual. The bigger problem is insurance premiums are expected to rise 20-40%. Employer based healthcare is looking to be a huge liability for businesses. Open your eyes people the system is broken.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

90 + 90 = 180
And the landlord still has to pay their mortgage. What could go wrong?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I dreamed I was eating a giant marshmallow last night and I woke up without one.

Marshmallow_dream.jpg