Lay the Blame Where it Belongs.....The Members.

Moneythehardway

It was every Teamsters' responsibility to vote and more importantly ; to get out the vote.

I know many Brown Cafe people did the best they could.

When are people going to learn???

It's more complex than just "get out and vote", if you start a job somewhere and know you're only working there for. A season or just to get a couple checks to get on your feet, are you going to open the union letters and waste your time voting? You won't. Thata the people you're saying to vote. Get real

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Singapore?
Is this meeting really related to the election or just another lavish vacation for the good 'ol boys?
maxresdefault-3.jpg

F

Frankie's Friend

Just got here. Stumbled upon it looking for information on the contract a couple months back. Not finding a whole lot of contract information here but a lot of people acting like trolls. It's entertaining to say the least. From what I've seen the people here like to beat others down.
Fix it to match your portfolio.
Sincerely,

~S~

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I disagree whole heartily! The strike authorization was not important for the committee to "continue negotiations." It was done well in advance of the negotiations being finalized! It was done with the full knowledge that the percentage of votes submitted never reaches 50% of the eligible voters due to transient workers! The Strike Authorization was put out there prior to the voters knowing what the offer actually was with the express intent of forcing the UPS offer through if the majority of the UPS teamsters vote down said offer!

The devil is in the details!

I was talking about the original intent, or how things should be, for the purpose of explaining the language in the constitution, rather than how the strike authorization was used. Assuming a union that actually bargains in good faith for its members, the strike authorization is important for a final offer situation, without a strike authorization the union would have a hard time getting the company back to the table.

I agree totally agree with your assessment about how the strike authorization was used. All those glossy fliers telling us to vote yes or get locked out will be their undoing.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We should blame the union for not telling us this is last and final vote and we need to meet certain threshold. The company knows that if the majority of workers are part time They don't vote.

It doesn't matter. We authorized a strike, eliminating any requirement that the negotiating committee ratify the agreement. It's right there in black and white.

a911scanner

I just want to say that I am entirely sick and tired of being told that I am supposed to know all of the rules of the game before I vote.

It was my first time voting. For a fairly new guy, I felt like not only did I know the present contract fairly well, but I read & studied a great deal on the new proposal to formulate an opinion of my own. Pretty responsible on my part, I'd say.

But why in the heck should I "have known" to ask about things I didn't even know I should ask about, like the IBT Constitution? How can I be expected to ask questions about something I didn't even know existed? That information in some form or another should have been offered to me by some knowledgeable person along the way (like my BA or Steward).

Stop telling me I should know all of the information when I have no clue what to ask.

For the record, now that I have been shafted by this, I know the information now and will not be shafted again. Thanks to all of you pro union folks and IBT employees for helping me and the rest of the membership so much. At least you did teach us, but not in the method you should have. It was more like "The Deliverance" method vs a teaching moment before the big test.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I just want to say that I am entirely sick and tired of being told that I am supposed to know all of the rules of the game before I vote.

It was my first time voting. For a fairly new guy, I felt like not only did I know the present contract fairly well, but I read & studied a great deal on the new proposal to formulate an opinion of my own. Pretty responsible on my part, I'd say.

But why in the heck should I "have known" to ask about things I didn't even know I should ask about, like the IBT Constitution? How can I be expected to ask questions about something I didn't even know existed? That information in some form or another should have been offered to me by some knowledgeable person along the way (like my BA or Steward).

Stop telling me I should know all of the information when I have no clue what to ask.

For the record, now that I have been shafted by this, I know the information now and will not be shafted again. Thanks to all of you pro union folks and IBT employees for helping me and the rest of the membership so much. At least you did teach us, but not in the method you should have. It was more like "The Deliverance" method vs a teaching moment before the big test.

Don't worry too much, they don't even know the constitution. They just make up whatever they want, and their loyalist puppets nod and parrot what they say to drown out anyone who might oppose them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Since the same thing happened in 2013 ( less than 50% turnout ) and the teamsters let it go , they set a precedent which good lawyers could argue that the 2/3rds rule is void.

maybe just maybe this could be fought. an injunction to hold up ratification of the contract and sent to the Supreme Court.
New job opportunities!