Layoffs to come?

chevyman

In feeders, if your route is eliminated, you can cover vacations, and work the rest of the time in the Bldg. But say if several routes get cut and there is not enough vacation work to stay busy, then you can work inside- at a lower wage than feeders- probably at the highest wage of the people inside. Or, take the layoff- but your time off doesn't help toward your pension for retirement purposes. But, who can answer this one? If that work ( your route that was eliminated) goes to a hub from your center, can you follow it ? Much like a package driver that his route is eliminated, and you can follow the largest percent if you choose. Interested in your thoughts and what happens to feeders in your area! Thanks for the inside.

In feeders, if your route is eliminated, you can cover vacations, and work the rest of the time in the Bldg. But say if several routes get cut and there is not enough vacation work to stay busy, then you can work inside- at a lower wage than feeders- probably at the highest wage of the people inside. Or, take the layoff- but your time off doesn't help toward your pension for retirement purposes. But, who can answer this one? If that work ( your route that was eliminated) goes to a hub from your center, can you follow it ? Much like a package driver that his route is eliminated, and you can follow the largest percent if you choose. Interested in your thoughts and what happens to feeders in your area! Thanks for the inside.
not a feeder driver here, but as I understand it you have the right to follow your work.

feederrunner

feederrunner

P

pickup

It just occurred to me about ches's posting about the great leadership of the chinese communist government. He probably has to say stuff like that to get his posting past the filters and out of his country onto this board. If he said the opposite, we would never see the posting and he would probably be in some "re-education" center. I think they called them gulags in russia.

P

pickup

Ches,
Do you have a union there in China?

(Not to be disrespectful, but just out of curiousity, can you access this website from your computer: www.freetibet.org )

No, it is probably like walmart." Our employees don't want unions as they are very happy with the pay, benefits , and working conditions." No need for a union when China is a "proletariat paradise", praise Mao.

ryj

To ccai,

I'm a fellow UPSer and I respect your pride for your country. Though, if I lived in China, I can't say I would be so proud. I am a Christian - and Christians are jailed and tortured over there simply for expressing their faith. You can't be proud of that can you? :dissapointed:

rod

Retired 22 years
To ccai,

I'm a fellow UPSer and I respect your pride for your country. Though, if I lived in China, I can't say I would be so proud. I am a Christian - and Christians are jailed and tortured over there simply for expressing their faith. You can't be proud of that can you? :dissapointed:

Drag religion into it- that's a good way to settle an argument:happy-very:

jd.brown

They just started laying off drivers in my building. I'm rather annoyed about it since many drivers are still working unwanted overtime. The customer who thinks UPS won't layoff people because the trucks are so full has the right idea.

I know there are more things the union could do to protect us, but since we've never faced a crisis of this magnitude, I'm not sure what it's going to take to fight back.

-jd

MSnMo UPS

Hello from Missouri!

Sad to report that my husband was laid off last Thursday. They told him and 19 other package car drivers that they were sending them back to the hub. My husband has been driving for 4 years and this is the first time he has been sent back to the hub. I'm scared for our family, he has gone from working 50 hours a week to part time in the hub. I hope this is short term... we can last for about 3 mos before we would be in serious financial trouble.

Melissa

DS

Fenderbender
Thanks to the sound of justice
the Communist Party represents the basic benefit of the people, and we trust them regardless of some limitations. It is also every countrys liberty to select their individual way in developing their country; none of the business of other countries - this is too basic political knowlege about mutual respect of national sovereignty
ches,I respect you as a person,but I believe what we disagree on is basic freedom.I also believe that not everyone in China is as patriotic as you are.In 1989 your communist party showed its true colors resulting in the deaths of 2000-3000 students and intellectuals.Maybe you missed this video.(If they let you watch it)

upsdad

Kind of new here but let me ask this question, I am a preloader and have recently been laid off(2 yrs with UPS). I have been called in a couple of days each week except for this week.
I am told that when volume picks back up I will be back in the regular mode and they are saying March/April.

I was told by shop steward all I have to do is work one day per month to keep benefits, can I use my personal days for this if we hit March and I do not work any.

Also I would like to make a career out of UPS and had planned on that since I got hired but I understand from my Dad this economy is worst he has seen and he said it will get better but right now nobody knows when and the reports he is told by some of his clients is anywhere from mid spring to 18 months away. I am "safe" to assume that I will be back at UPS sooner or later or if you are laid off for an extended period is that a sign that you need to start looking else where.

I am fortunate right now in that I have another pt job that I can work extra hours and I am also able to work for my Dad some as well and keep the bills paid.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I understand from my Dad this economy is worst he has seen and he said it will get better but right now nobody knows when.

Keep trying to get extra income elsewhere, and save money. Right now the situation looks bleak for everyone and try not to stress too much about finances.

Mellisa from Mizzou,

Take a tip from Dave Ramsey, try not to let this be a focal point in family discussions. Everyone can think of ways to save money. I think you have the right idea by having at least three months to get you by. The bulk of vacations come in spring and summer, your hubby should be back on the road cover driving. Good Luck.

McLeod

Kind of new here but let me ask this question, I am a preloader and have recently been laid off(2 yrs with UPS). I have been called in a couple of days each week except for this week.
I am told that when volume picks back up I will be back in the regular mode and they are saying March/April.

I was told by shop steward all I have to do is work one day per month to keep benefits, can I use my personal days for this if we hit March and I do not work any.

Also I would like to make a career out of UPS and had planned on that since I got hired but I understand from my Dad this economy is worst he has seen and he said it will get better but right now nobody knows when and the reports he is told by some of his clients is anywhere from mid spring to 18 months away. I am "safe" to assume that I will be back at UPS sooner or later or if you are laid off for an extended period is that a sign that you need to start looking else where.

I am fortunate right now in that I have another pt job that I can work extra hours and I am also able to work for my Dad some as well and keep the bills paid.
Hang on!!! I have been in your position here in the past, be open to any type of flexible employment so you and your family can make it through!!

upsdad

Thanks, I am fortunate in that I have another job and very little expenses and have been saving as much as I can and also my Dad's business is very busy this time of year and he has things that have to be done so that gives me a little extra income

Just kind of looking at the long term and not hitting panic mode but one thing is for sure it has changed my outlook on the future and how I will live within my means. Dad and others tell me of plenty of people that were stretched to the limit and I honestly did not realize it until this economy how quick your financial position can change.

I guess what they say is right in that Parents know best