Lead Driver Protection???

htaylor

I found out Friday that 10 routes are being transferred to another building. Unfortunately, this looks like me! Last year some bidding movement came up, and my Sup. told me I was lead driver so I was protected. Does anyone know anything about this? How long am I protected for...and is this included? I've read the contract - but can't find anything! Unfortunately, the new center is 1.5 hrs. from home, I would have to go back to part time which I can't do. Any suggestions? Help!:w00t:

30andout

Funny I haven't heard the phrase "lead driver" for years, I didn't think seniority counted for much these days.

htaylor

Can't bump, I'm getting bumped because my seniority is so low - 1 year. Drivers will be reassigned, unless they choose to move with route. Thanks

rod

Retired 22 years
am I reading this wrong? Only 1 year of seniority and you are the lead driver? Impossible! Unless your center only as a couple of drivers

htaylor

No - we have approx. 88 routes. I was given lead driver to protect me during the next hiring from people who wanted to get to this building. Myself and another new hire.

Raw

Raw Member
Years ago when I had 1 year in my route and 3 others were moving to a new center. They told me I better go to the new center or I would get layed off so I went with my work and ended up losing my route next bid months later. I then had a less desirable route. As soon as I went to the new center though they hired about 4 new drivers at the old center. I think if you stay where you are you will be fine but you will probaly be doing different routes each day.

helenofcalifornia

I don't get it. 88 routes, 10 moved to a different center, you are a "lead driver" with one year fulltime seniority and you might have to go back to parttime. What exactley is a "lead driver?" It's definitely not someone with alot of seniority or drive time.

Happy Now

I was a full time manager for 12 years...there is no such thing as a "lead driver"! Your supervisor was filling you full of crap to motivate you to work harder. If you are full time you can bump two part time employees out of their job but you will go back to a lower pay rate after 1 month.

over9five

Staff member
"...there is no such thing as a "lead driver"! "

BS! When I was a lead driver, I made (a whopping) 13 cents over top rate. Lead driver pay.

brown67

When they built a new center here a few years ago you could follow your route or stay in your center and bump any junior driver off their route. Are their any drivers with less seniorty that aren't moving? Make sure to talk to your stewart.:lol:

htaylor

Were you already at top rate pay or did you get the raise because of lead driver. I was only full time for about 5 mos. when they gave me lead driver. I didn't get a raise...