Leaving Brown for Fedex

Book78

I'm currently leaving UPS as a part time package handler, making $10.00, but only working about 15 hrs a wk ($98/week avg.) for a pt courier job at FedEx express (6:30-11:00AM) making $15.53 an hour. I'm currently working my way through school and not intending on staying at FedEx forever, what can I expect from this experience?

Also I'm in the south, it hotter than hell right now...any tips

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If you only plan to stay short term and you're on your parent's insurance, FedEx is not a bad gig, especially for the bump in pay. Just don't get caught up in the trap I've seen too many people working through school get caught up in. Short term, FedEx is fine. Long term, UPS is your best bet. Better pay, insurance and pension.

Fortunately we have A/C in our vehicles (assuming you will be Express) so that helps some. Make sure you always have plenty of water and/or Gatorade. Towel for your face. You can keep a wet washcloth in a cooler too. That always helps. Try to stay away from heavy or fried foods for lunch when it's hot. They make you feel sluggish.

dezguy

So long as it is just to get you through school, welcome to the circus and enjoy the show! Just remember, management can't force you to work ot.

vantexan

As a PTer you can be required to work up to 30 hours a week but they can't force you to work more. You can volunteer if you like to work more. As a PTer you need to work your schedule out with them and they pretty much have to abide by it. In other words if you go to school mornings and work evenings they can't change your schedule and force you to come in because freight's late and they need help. One of the perks of being a PTer is if you have school or another job they have to work with you. Once FT however your time is their's.

hypo hanna

So long as it is just to get you through school, welcome to the circus and enjoy the show! Just remember, management can't force you to work ot.
Just know what you are getting into and who you are dealing with. FedEx mgmt at every level would just as soon lie to you as tell you the truth. As a PT, you have more control over your own destiny. Stay PT! This is not the kind of place you want to spend more then a few years at.

Get your education and then get as far away as you can from the likes of Fred S, Matthew Thornton III, Dave bronkzac et al.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
just one - get the hell out of the south

Noooooooooo, there's room for everyone here.

I grew up in the upper midwest and have also lived in the southwest, northeast, and southeast (where I live now). What's up with the hate for the south? The cost of living is low, people are generally more laid back, winters are usually mild, there's consistent industrial growth. Summers can be rough, but that's about it.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Noooooooooo, there's room for everyone here.

I grew up in the upper midwest and have also lived in the southwest, northeast, and southeast (where I live now). What's up with the hate for the south? The cost of living is low, people are generally more laid back, winters are usually mild, there's consistent industrial growth. Summers can be rough, but that's about it.
No hatred for the Southland here.... just offering the OP a tip on how to escape the "hotter than hell" climate.

Although truth-be-told, it hasn't exactly been a Penguin's Paradise these days where I am either.