Leaving the company and then returning: Seniority?

McFeely

Huge Member
Quick question for those who know our HR policies for Express employees: When someone leaves the company entirely and then returns, do they keep their seniority? The way I understood it is he/she would keep their pay rate if they returned to the company within 12 months, but I'm not sure about seniority.

We have a couple of people at my station who have left and returned but our vacation bidding seniority list just came out and I'm a bit confused on their positions on that list.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Quick question for those who know our HR policies for Express employees: When someone leaves the company entirely and then returns, do they keep their seniority? The way I understood it is he/she would keep their pay rate if they returned to the company within 12 months, but I'm not sure about seniority.

We have a couple of people at my station who have left and returned but our vacation bidding seniority list just came out and I'm a bit confused on their positions on that list.

Thanks all!
I could be wrong but I think that once you quit, if you come back, it's as if you're a new employee. You will have the same employee number though.

rod

Retired 22 years
Unless they left to fulfill a military obligation how could anyone expect to just walk in and start where they had left off before they quit?

McFeely

Huge Member
Unless they left to fulfill a military obligation how could anyone expect to just walk in and start where they had left off before they quit?

For me it's not really a question of what the individual was expecting, it's more a matter of why this one courier went back to near the top of our seniority list while another courier who returned didn't. He jumped up about 20 positions on seniority.

FWIW, we also have an individual who left for a military obligation and I fully support him retaining his seniority/years of service situation that he had when he left.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
For me it's not really a question of what the individual was expecting, it's more a matter of why this one courier went back to near the top of our seniority list while another courier who returned didn't. He jumped up about 20 positions on seniority.

FWIW, we also have an individual who left for a military obligation and I fully support him retaining his seniority/years of service situation that he had when he left.
Sounds like the second courier needs to make some waves.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Thanks all!

It used to be 24 months. I'd imagine that has changed.

!Retired!

If you work, let's say 5 years and leave for 5 years and then come back, you retain the 5 years and employee number. You go onto the seniority list as if you were a 5 year employee. We have a couple of people with a lower employee number than me, but I'm higher on the list.

Oldfart

If you work, let's say 5 years and leave for 5 years and then come back, you retain the 5 years and employee number. You go onto the seniority list as if you were a 5 year employee. We have a couple of people with a lower employee number than me, but I'm higher on the list.
You keep the employee number, NOT the 5 years unless they made changes in the last couple of years. We have several rehires in my area and they restarted as new hires as far as seniority.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I'm still thinking it's 24 months to retain seniority. I've know several vantexans and they all kept their employee numbers, but not their seniority...All returned after more than 2 years.

Maui

You lose your seniority, but you do keep your years of service. You would still be vested in either pension plan and start accruing PPP credits immediately if you work 1000 hours and you would keep your previous 401K contribution percentages and would also start immediately.

Seniority I think is still probably 24 months.

vantexan

I'm still thinking it's 24 months to retain seniority. I've know several vantexans and they all kept their employee numbers, but not their seniority...All returned after more than 2 years.
Actually I returned this time after 10 months but the one year rule no longer applies. However if you are in an area where they're having no luck finding qualified applicants they can rehire former employee at previous percentage of range. Found that out from HR three days AFTER signing offer letter and they wouldn't give me my old pay back because I had signed the offer letter. The same letters that they say aren't guarantee of employment but we're held to them nevertheless. And given to me by mgrs who said I absolutely couldn't get my previous percentage of range back. Nice people. After paying all my bills off I have a few thousand left plus my pension and a wife who refuses to go to Mexico or anywhere else but Overland Park, KS. We're in temporary housing until our tenant moves out of our house in August then her 24 yr old daughter moves in with her and I'm taking the dog to Mexico.

McFeely

Huge Member
Update: courier did indeed lose seniority and the high spot on the vacation bid list. Back to the bottom of the list!