Leaving the company and then returning: Seniority?

vantexan

I guarantee you that Van is one of those employees that just can't keep their mouth shut, and those types inevitably draw the ire of management, regardless of the job they do.
I've told plenty of mgrs that what they did to us over pay and pension wasn't fair. I never got fired and the two times I quit I was entered as ok to rehire. Many of those mgrs got fired. Even got into heated exchange with a director at one meeting. When it comes down to it a lot of you have no empathy because you didn't experience working next to people for 15 years who not only made a lot more but were pulling away with bigger raises. Meanwhile mgrs were constantly lying about better pay coming soon, amongst many other lies. The only reason I bring it up at this point is I just can't stand listening to Oldfart going on about how great FedEx is and if we didn't succeed it's because WE didn't sacrifice enough.

!Retired!

I've told plenty of mgrs that what they did to us over pay and pension wasn't fair.
And what good did it do? You were talking to people that had absolutely NOTHING to do with your pay and pension. You might as well come on here and complain how you got screwed.
When it comes down to it a lot of you have no empathy because you didn't experience working next to people for 15 years who not only made a lot more but were pulling away with bigger raises.
Why worry about the guy next to you at all? I know drivers there longer than me making less and I know drivers there a shorter time making more. In the end, it makes NO difference to me what they make. It doesn't affect the way I do my job and/or how much I make.

Oldfart

I've told plenty of mgrs that what they did to us over pay and pension wasn't fair. I never got fired and the two times I quit I was entered as ok to rehire. Many of those mgrs got fired. Even got into heated exchange with a director at one meeting. When it comes down to it a lot of you have no empathy because you didn't experience working next to people for 15 years who not only made a lot more but were pulling away with bigger raises. Meanwhile mgrs were constantly lying about better pay coming soon, amongst many other lies. The only reason I bring it up at this point is I just can't stand listening to Oldfart going on about how great FedEx is and if we didn't succeed it's because WE didn't sacrifice enough.

I am having trouble reading this. The tears running down my face are blocking my vision. Loud mouth whiners like you hardly ever get a fair shake. Good managers don't get mad, they get even. Sounds like you got everything you deserved.

vantexan

I am having trouble reading this. The tears running down my face are blocking my vision. Loud mouth whiners like you hardly ever get a fair shake. Good managers don't get mad, they get even. Sounds like you got everything you deserved.
I didn't get anything less than anyone else which was less pay and a stunted pension. The company lied to us, and you're ok with that. Tells all of us you have poor ethics, lousy morals.

vantexan

And what good did it do? You were talking to people that had absolutely NOTHING to do with your pay and pension. You might as well come on here and complain how you got screwed.

Why worry about the guy next to you at all? I know drivers there longer than me making less and I know drivers there a shorter time making more. In the end, it makes NO difference to me what they make. It doesn't affect the way I do my job and/or how much I make.
I'm just replying to someone who took a shot at me. But apparently you're saying if wronged we should just take it.

bacha29

Given the comments there would appear to be one overriding fact and that would be the lack of consistency when it comes to the application and administration of company policy as it pertains to it's employees. VanT is by no means a malcontent. It would appear that he received more than his share of those inconsistencies and has made valid points regarding those inconsistencies . OF's comments about managers getting even with employees is a clear testament of his outright fear of management. Respect is one thing,fear is something different. Cooperation is one thing puffing the corporate appendage is something completely different yet some people will gladly stoop to doing it wrongly believing that it will better them in the long run but come to discover later that all they did was to stir the contempt of their coworkers.

Oldfart

Given the comments there would appear to be one overriding fact and that would be the lack of consistency when it comes to the application and administration of company policy as it pertains to it's employees. VanT is by no means a malcontent. It would appear that he received more than his share of those inconsistencies and has made valid points regarding those inconsistencies . OF's comments about managers getting even with employees is a clear testament of his outright fear of management. Respect is one thing,fear is something different. Cooperation is one thing puffing the corporate appendage is something completely different yet some people will gladly stoop to doing it wrongly believing that it will better them in the long run but come to discover later that all they did was to stir the contempt of their coworkers.
LOL You better stick to investing with your billion $ portfolio you have accumulated because your Psychology skills are even worse.

Meat

I'm just replying to someone who took a shot at me. But apparently you're saying if wronged we should just take it.

I wasn't taking a shot; I was merely making an observation, and you substantiated that observation with your reply. Exactly what did you hope to accomplish by getting into a shouting match with an MD? Did you expect them to say, "you're right Van, this company has done wrong to the average employee. First thing in the morning I'm going to get on the phone with Fred and see what we can do to get this rectified." Employees like you feel compelled to be heard regardless of what the consequences are; and that is a highly dubious tactic, considering EVERYONE on these boards knows that management has zero interest in the opinions of front-line employees. The damage has already been done to you (and we are painfully aware of the results), but my advice to others would be to wait until you get home to vent about work. It still won't change anything, but at least you know the person listening gives a damn.

Last edited:

bacha29

LOL You better stick to investing with your billion $ portfolio you have accumulated because your Psychology skills are even worse.
Wrong again. I come from a culture more advanced than the one you come from whereby we respect authority we don't idolize or fear it. We acknowledge those who have acquired wealth it but whether or not we respect it depends on how they earned it and what they do with it and we definitely do not treat them like they're gods.

Oldfart

Wrong again. I come from a culture more advanced than the one you come from whereby we respect authority we don't idolize or fear it. We acknowledge those who have acquired wealth it but whether or not we respect it depends on how they earned it and what they do with it and we definitely do not treat them like they're gods.

WOW!!!

bacha29

What's the matter? Running out of insults, put downs and personal attacks? Contrary to your long standing belief anybody can do what you're doing and every once in a while you might come across somebody who can do it better than you.

vantexan

I wasn't taking a shot; I was merely making an observation, and you substantiated that observation with your reply. Exactly what did you hope to accomplish by getting into a shouting match with an MD? Did you expect them to say, "you're right Van, this company has done wrong to the average employee. First thing in the morning I'm going to get on the phone with Fred and see what we can do to get this rectified." Employees like you feel compelled to be heard regardless of what the consequences are; and that is a highly dubious tactic, considering EVERYONE on these boards knows that management has zero interest in the opinions of front-line employees. The damage has already been done to you (and we are painfully aware of the results), but my advice to others would be to wait until you get home to vent about work. It still won't change anything, but at least you know the person listening gives a damn.
Actually when employees start speaking out management knows they've pushed us to the breaking point. And as FedEx tries to project a certain public image they know employees no longer afraid to speak openly affects hiring and possibly investor relations and business relations. And as FedEx employees it used to be spelled out in employee handbooks we have a right to express opinions, even negative ones that management disagrees with. In parts of the country where management is king that aspect of employee/management relations is downplayed in my experience but if you stand your ground they always back off. I've seen too many mgrs who like to bully but they learned real fast I don't tolerate it. Better to display a little grit than to vent at home.

vantexan

Actually when employees start speaking out management knows they've pushed us to the breaking point. And as FedEx tries to project a certain public image they know employees no longer afraid to speak openly affects hiring and possibly investor relations and business relations. And as FedEx employees it used to be spelled out in employee handbooks we have a right to express opinions, even negative ones that management disagrees with. In parts of the country where management is king that aspect of employee/management relations is downplayed in my experience but if you stand your ground they always back off. I've seen too many mgrs who like to bully but they learned real fast I don't tolerate it. Better to display a little grit than to vent at home.
And P.S. I didn't get into a shouting match. I told him in no uncertain terms that their policies had turned many employees into working poor that were having to settle for a lot less. We went back and forth for close to ten minutes before he got angry and changed the subject. I was angry, but respectful.

Meat

I've seen too many mgrs who like to bully but they learned real fast I don't tolerate it. Better to display a little grit than to vent at home.

Quit trying to infer you were merely standing up for yourself. You stated in your original post that you constantly challenged management over pay and benefits (an area they have zero control over). Just admit it, you like to talk (I'm still not sure why you feel compelled to turn the BC into an episode of Biography) and it has had an adverse effect on your career.

Meat

And P.S. I didn't get into a shouting match. I told him in no uncertain terms that their policies had turned many employees into working poor that were having to settle for a lot less. We went back and forth for close to ten minutes before he got angry and changed the subject. I was angry, but respectful.

"Heated discussion" vs. "shouting match" - it's a matter of semantics. The MD's job is the same as yours: follow orders (and read the mass-produced power point during the meeting you attended). All you did was make yourself a target and waste the time of the other employees in attendance.

Oldfart

What's the matter? Running out of insults, put downs and personal attacks? Contrary to your long standing belief anybody can do what you're doing and every once in a while you might come across somebody who can do it better than you.
I never claimed to be the best. Far from it. Plenty of people in my station are better than me and get off more stops. Someone has to be middle of the road. Pay is the same and headaches are not as plentiful.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
"Heated discussion" vs. "shouting match" - it's a matter of semantics. The MD's job is the same as yours: follow orders (and read the mass-produced power point during the meeting you attended). All you did was make yourself a target and waste the time of the other employees in attendance.
Tell the truth. You're actually management aren't you? You know way too much about this company.

vantexan

I never claimed to be the best. Far from it. Plenty of people in my station are better than me and get off more stops. Someone has to be middle of the road. Pay is the same and headaches are not as plentiful.
And yet you want to scoff at and belittle those who've gone way beyond the extra mile. You're very much like the company, you take and take and give back little.