Lets discuss the future of this company

oldupsman

You know what. Despite all the changes, you folks do today what I did when I started in 1975. You take out
a truck full of brown boxes, deliver them, pickup a bunch of brown boxes and bring them back. As long
as people want their brown boxes, UPS will be there.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
you have to see the writing on the wall.

times "are a " changing faster than ever. 20 years from now UPS will be the dinosaur. ( package division )

I see UPS evolving into something totally different by 2030.
Yes because you're the expert?

You lie about all your credentials at ups and yet you can see the future of the company?

Oh okay crazy.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sinking-Ship-Gifs.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What are you saying?----that I didn't have it rough back when I started in 71 and the maximum weight limit was 50 lbs.------------------and you could only ship 2 of those to one address per day. And we had to suffer carrying 108 inch length + girth packages. And we had to do all that while not wearing a seatbelt because none of the trucks had seatbelts. Oh the horror of it all.
You guys had it rough in ways different from today.

The equipment you all worked with sucked big time.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Unless you we at UPS atleast 10 yrs ago you would not understand. The micromanagement and increased production standards have made the company a miserable workplace.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
A) present day part timers start right at minimum wage now and have ZERO incentive to do any more than the bare minimum. Minimum Wage dosent buy you a great employee and let us not forget these guys are the "future" of the company. many WILL eventually be drivers

I've been a preloader for a year and a half and the incentive for me is the benefits right now, plus I know guys who make 15 dollars an hour in the hub who havent been there all that long.

Foamer Pyle

Hello, old man Grandpa 728 here shouting at clouds and thinking of the future of UPS. I am worried and here are a few reasons why

A) present day part timers start right at minimum wage now and have ZERO incentive to do any more than the bare minimum. Minimum Wage dosent buy you a great employee and let us not forget these guys are the "future" of the company. many WILL eventually be drivers

B) Many of the newer drivers simply dont have the work ethic us old folks have. I'm certain bank when i started in the early 80's the senior drivers then were aghast at the crop of kids being hired but we did the job and maintained high levels of service doing it.
The younger drivers at my building laugh over missed business pieces,late air etc. The rot ios setting in

C) In the old days being promoted to Management was a hell of an achievement. One had to be very intelligent and have a terrific grasp of the drivers job to succeed.

Todays supervisors are those who A) cant do the driving job B) have delusions of grandeur C)inexperienced people who shouldn't be managing a Mcdonalds but due to NOONE wanting to be the center manager's whipping boy they take what they can get.
Pay lower than those they manage,insanely long hours, paying for Healthcare while getting no pension and having zero job security kinda narrows the field

D) Customer service is GONE! Instead management worries over ORION compliance,and a million other reports that have zero to due with service

E) Taking the ability for Center Level management to make decisions results in stupid costly mistakes

I'm certain many can add much more to the list,but I'm seriously worried where we will be in 20 years
In 20 years i will be close to taking a dirt nap. I have always thought this company has too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I am so focused on getting my last couple years finished, that I cannot think about what's in store for this company down the road.