Let's Get the New Year Started Right "On Topic" Safety is the greatest most extreme issue.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I am gonna bite because I am haven't before.

It's pretty clear to everyone here that safety committees are for management hopefuls and overtime babies.

Ups only cares about safety in the form of plausible deniability!

i.e. We told them not to do that.

That being said, WGAF what ups thinks about safety. Ups is not the only place that has the exact safety rules that we are taught so there must be some basis in truth!

I don't follow the methods to stick it to ups. I follow the methods because they work and my knees and back appreciate it.

Ups is happy if I go home ininjured at night.

However, Ups also couldn't care less if I go out on perm disability.

At the end if the day the only peoples opinions that matter are mine and my families.

If you're doing the job worrying about how ups feels about you, you're gonna have a hard time.

10 point

Implementation of safety methods is about longevity of good health in a very stressful and dangerous occupation.

As you get older you think about protecting your joints and back more often and less about overallowed.

The back windows of young driver's cars say "No fear".

The veteran UPSer's motto is "no shortcuts".

Irishman Collins

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The first sentence of the preliminary introduction to Article 18 in the National Master United Parcel Service Agreement exlpains that UPS and the IBT are in agreement that the safety of the employees and the general public is of the utmost importance.

In what ways do you see your Union Officials and Local Management Team living out this statement?

Integrity would think that if it was agreed between a company and a union that the safety of the employees and the general public was an issue of most extreme or of greatest importance then there would be clear evidence of this in the local workplace.

What evidence do you see of this agreement between UPS and the IBT?

How do you think this can become more of reality in the workplace?

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Sincerely,
I
There will never be any real safety concerns at U.P.S. addressed. The company operates on a liability free work place. They squash or hide any real safety concerns by its employees. If they officially address them, it adds liability and that is something there not interested in. The only liability they are interested in are lower insurance premiums. That is why they attempt to have us learn the 10 points and the commentary, etc.. They forward this information to their insurance companies to reduce premiums and cost. Case in point..., vehicles without lap belts, low back drivers seats and cabs with limited space for driver maneuverability. These are serious safety issues that the company will not address with immediate results. It is mentioned in the contract that old vehicles will be replaced with safer new equipment but even with that it will be years before all drivers will be in safe equipment. The bottom line, they will never really care about safety because it is less expensive to settle a lawsuit out of court by offering compensation to an employee or his or her family than it is to replace every unsafe drivers seat in their fleet.

M

Mike hunt

Buster Good,

I disagree.

What evidence do you have to make the statement that the safety committee is there to cut liability for the company and the union?

This is a common error in thinking, that is unless you can provide evidence?

Sincerely,
I
Who needs evidence when you have common sense?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Who needs evidence when you have common sense?
Buster Good,

Your opinion or view of common sense is not enough to make the statement that the safety committee is there to cut liability for the company and the union.

Your statement does not make any sense when any employee could bring any of their safety concerns to OSHA if they want they have a right to do this without consulting the union or the safety committee.

The company and the union knows this.

The true purpose of the Safety Committees is to support collectively bargained for safety functions.

It is co-chaired by a non-management employee.

A main function is to document and address safety concerns.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
There will never be any real safety concerns at U.P.S. addressed. The company operates on a liability free work place. They squash or hide any real safety concerns by its employees. If they officially address them, it adds liability and that is something there not interested in. The only liability they are interested in are lower insurance premiums. That is why they attempt to have us learn the 10 points and the commentary, etc.. They forward this information to their insurance companies to reduce premiums and cost. Case in point..., vehicles without lap belts, low back drivers seats and cabs with limited space for driver maneuverability. These are serious safety issues that the company will not address with immediate results. It is mentioned in the contract that old vehicles will be replaced with safer new equipment but even with that it will be years before all drivers will be in safe equipment. The bottom line, they will never really care about safety because it is less expensive to settle a lawsuit out of court by offering compensation to an employee or his or her family than it is to replace every unsafe drivers seat in their fleet.
Irishman Collins,

This is not true.

Sincerely,
I

M

Mike hunt

Buster Good,

Your opinion or view of common sense is not enough to make the statement that the safety committee is there to cut liability for the company and the union.

Your statement does not make any sense when any employee could bring any of their safety concerns to OSHA if they want they have a right to do this without consulting the union or the safety committee.

The company and the union knows this.

The true purpose of the Safety Committees is to support collectively bargained for safety functions.

It is co-chaired by a non-management employee.

A main function is to document and address safety concerns.

Sincerely,
I
It my opinion going to osha is a better alternative than using the bogus safety committee. Common sense seems like something you know about but kinda lack.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
All the UPS safety crap is total bull shiitz. Every DOK, 5 seeing habitsts and all the rest. Is nothing but a catch 22. Dammed if you do. Damned if you don't. It's all part of the game. They make the hoops. We must learn to jump thru each one. Any short cuts, you lose. Learn to do it the way they want it done. If you don't you can be terminated. It is just cardboard. I really don't care anymore. Which is why they can't intimidate me. Beat them with their rules. Makes you money

10 point

If it costs $ to fix... good luck with that. Thats our experience.

10 point

When we filed OSHA charges against the company the OSHA agent told me that the local tried to step in and take over as the complainant. The agent refused to transfer the authority to the BA and the company was found guilty, fined, and held accountable for future infractions at up to 30 times the initial fine per infraction.

We went to the safety committee. We tried the "politically correct" route.
Waste of time.

Why would the local step in when we had it taken care of?

You fill in the blank.

Overpaid Union Thug

As far as drivers are concerned.....Safety only matters once an on car sup/center manager are forced to take pictures of the aftermath of an accident and put together a power point presentation that's purpose is three fold:

1) To show that, despite any evidence to the contrary, that the driver involved was just being incompetent and that that the accident was avoidable.

2) To lesson the severity of the verbal assaults they will endure from the superiors safely from the other end of a conference call by demonstrating the above.

3) To show their superiors that the accident was just an isolated incident due to said driver incompetence and that the center manager isn't the problem and won't be affecting the district's "Safety Picture."

If 1,2, and 3 are unattainable then they will resort to putting 100% of the blame on the other people involved in the accident. If the accident didn't involve another party then the management team's best course of action is to find an affective numbing agent or anal lube to prepare for their conference call.

Until these events are set in motion it's pretty much a free for all masked with shallow talk about safety at PCM's and during Overtime Committees....OOOPS I mean.....Safety Committees.

Last edited:

Irishman Collins

As far as drivers are concerned.....Safety only matters once an on car sup/center manager are forced to take pictures of the aftermath of an accident and put together a power point presentation that's purpose is three fold:

1) To show that, despite any evidence to the contrary, that the driver involved was just being incompetent and that that the accident was avoidable.

2) To lesson the severity of the verbal assaults they will endure from the superiors safely from the other end of a conference call by demonstrating the above.

3) To show their superiors that the accident was just an isolated incident due to said driver incompetence and that the center manager isn't the problem and won't be affecting the district's "Safety Picture."

If 1,2, and 3 are unattainable then they will resort to putting 100% of the blame on the other people involved in the accident. If the accident didn't involve another party then the management team's best course of action is to find an affective numbing agent or anal lube to prepare for their conference call.

Until these events are set in motion it's pretty much a free for all masked with shallow talk about safety at PCM's and during Overtime Committees....OOOPS I mean.....Safety Committees.
You are being too nice. I have heard the Safety Committees referred to as the Suck Ass Commitees