Let's Get the New Year Started Right "On Topic" Safety is the greatest most extreme issue.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When we filed OSHA charges against the company the OSHA agent told me that the local tried to step in and take over as the complainant. The agent refused to transfer the authority to the BA and the company was found guilty, fined, and held accountable for future infractions at up to 30 times the initial fine per infraction.

We went to the safety committee. We tried the "politically correct" route.
Waste of time.

Why would the local step in when we had it taken care of?

You fill in the blank.
I was warned by a local BA, to never step outside of the co/union when it came to safety issues. This was when I threatened to call OSHA a couple years ago when the union wouldn't address a safety concern that also happened to be contractual.

10 point

I was warned by a local BA, to never step outside of the co/union when it came to safety issues. This was when I threatened to call OSHA a couple years ago when the union wouldn't address a safety concern that also happened to be contractual.
I other words...your federal rights to safe working conditions are void without co/union approval.

This isn't Communist China. We can't wait for political correctness when all means of addressing issues becomes a waste of time and people are getting hurt.

If you had a local that was worth having the name Teamsters on the building and real support I would be more confident that Art 18 issues would get rectified.

Otherwise, fight the good fight and let the chips fall where they may.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I was warned by a local BA, to never step outside of the co/union when it came to safety issues.

Are you sure about that ?

A firm suggestion to follow the proper procedure, would be to help you.

Documentation is everything. (and what scares the company.... the most)

That's how you "win" grievances.

This was when I threatened to call OSHA a couple years ago when the union wouldn't address a safety concern that also happened to be contractual.

Did you grieve it ?

How did you attempt to rectify the situation.... prior to that ?

In other words...your federal rights to safe working conditions are void without co/union approval.

The NLRB and OSHA, usually "defer" charges and complaints to the grievance procedure.

Short of something, that presents an "imminent" physical danger.

If you had a local that was worth having the name Teamsters on the building and real support I would be more confident that Art 18 issues would get rectified.

Absolutely.

Change starts from within.... meaning, active involvement of the membership.

-Bug-

10 point

Did you grieve it ?

The NLRB and OSHA, usually "defer" charges and complaints to the grievance procedure.

Absolutely.

-Bug-
NLRB ... yes.
OSHA ... Not so much. They were already there once on the issue reported without requiring a grievance to be filed. Egress was the issue...or lack thereof.

This time we wrote a letter and the investigation led to a fine.

There's alot more to the story but the jest of it is what I wrote and is a matter of record.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ultimately safety on road is up to the driver......the over performers are always the ones to cut corners and forget safety and ups pretends they don't see it until something happens,the union doesn't want to instruct the employee and the driver never believes that when something happens (accident or injury) ups will give the warning letter,suspension,or discharge....but that's just my opinion
Whatbrownwontdoforyou,

The contract is clear that the Union believes that the safety of the employees and the general public is of the utmost importance.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am gonna bite because I am haven't before.

It's pretty clear to everyone here that safety committees are for management hopefuls and overtime babies.

Ups only cares about safety in the form of plausible deniability!

i.e. We told them not to do that.

That being said, WGAF what ups thinks about safety. Ups is not the only place that has the exact safety rules that we are taught so there must be some basis in truth!

I don't follow the methods to stick it to ups. I follow the methods because they work and my knees and back appreciate it.

Ups is happy if I go home ininjured at night.

However, Ups also couldn't care less if I go out on perm disability.

At the end if the day the only peoples opinions that matter are mine and my families.

If you're doing the job worrying about how ups feels about you, you're gonna have a hard time.
Shifting Contents,

You are wrong about this.

It is recognized by the Union that the Safety Committees serve an important role in resolving issues of safety.

The Union contractually affirms their commitment to the active involvement of the Committees in safety processes.

By Contract; Every bargaining unit member serving on the Safety Committees shall be approved by the Local Union.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
It my opinion going to osha is a better alternative than using the bogus safety committee. Common sense seems like something you know about but kinda lack.
Buster Good,

The Safety Committee is only as bogus as you allow it to be.

Please read Article 18 Sec 20.4 in the Master.

OSHA is a good alternative when the internal safety processes fail.

Why do you say I lack common sense?

Please back up your statement.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

Not a real union response by your BA.

The union recognizes employee rights to contact federal, state, or local agencies but it does recommend that issues be brought to the Union through the National Safety and Health Committee first.

Did you file a grievance over this issue that you reference?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
When we filed OSHA charges against the company the OSHA agent told me that the local tried to step in and take over as the complainant. The agent refused to transfer the authority to the BA and the company was found guilty, fined, and held accountable for future infractions at up to 30 times the initial fine per infraction.

We went to the safety committee. We tried the "politically correct" route.
Waste of time.

Why would the local step in when we had it taken care of?

You fill in the blank.
10 point,

Did you ask them why they stepped in?

This was not my experience when filing a OSHA complaint.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster

Did you grieve it ?

Absolutely.

-Bug-
Big Union Guy,

It is my experience that OSHA does not defer formal complaints to the grievance procedure.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
NLRB ... yes.
OSHA ... Not so much. They were already there once on the issue reported without requiring a grievance to be filed. Egress was the issue...or lack thereof.

This time we wrote a letter and the investigation led to a fine.

There's alot more to the story but the jest of it is what I wrote and is a matter of record.
10point,

Can this be found online?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Qualify the reason for your question.

I'm not giving out my local.

I know why they tried to "step in".

I didn't repeat what the OSHA agent told me.

It's a waste of my time.
10 point,

I like to research if there are any Corporate Settlement Agreements as a result of certain formal OSHA complaints.

I don't care what Local you are from nor would I try to connect the complaint to a Local.

In your opinion why did they try to "step in"?

Sincerely,
I

10 point

Sleeve_meet_Heart,

Not a real union response by your BA.

The union recognizes employee rights to contact federal, state, or local agencies but it does recommend that issues be brought to the Union through the National Safety and Health Committee first.

Did you file a grievance over this issue that you reference?

Sincerely,
I
Let me break it down for you.

Who do you trust more?
Your BA/local or a federal agency?

Not everyone has the same answer to that question.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster

I believe that following processes that are in place is the way to go.

I am currently of the opinion that the most good can come when internal processes are exhausted before going to an outside agency.

Sincerely,
I

10 point

10 point,

I like to research if there are any Corporate Settlement Agreements as a result of certain formal OSHA complaints.

I don't care what Local you are from nor would I try to connect the complaint to a Local.

In your opinion why did they try to "step in"?

Sincerely,
I
Look up the Sharonville, Ohio OSHA charge from about 2007.

I'm not in that local but you can start there.

You can pm me and I'll fill in the blanks but not in this forum.

10 point

I believe that following processes that are in place is the way to go.

I am currently of the opinion that the most good can come when internal processes are exhausted before going to an outside agency.

Sincerely,
I
Yep. Me too.

Except that we exhausted all VALID and CREDIBLE avenues. You have to know the whole story or you're just hauling water to the sea.

10 point

Shifting Contents,

You are wrong about this.

It is recognized by the Union that the Safety Committees serve an important role in resolving issues of safety.

The Union contractually affirms their commitment to the active involvement of the Committees in safety processes.

By Contract; Every bargaining unit member serving on the Safety Committees shall be approved by the Local Union.

Sincerely,
I
With all that being said...

the real test of all that language is how much is actually changed for the better (permanently), how many safety concerns are read and resolved to the satisfaction of the employees, and how many grievances have to be forwarded to the National Committee to be resolved.

Is it still lip service and just filling out monthly forms to appease outside agencies?

Show me a great program that yields what the safety committee is truly set up to accomplish and I'll say that their management team is well respected.