"On Topic" "Blame The Worker" Behavior Based Safety or Not?

km3

It is the Company's responsibility to see that training is following.

It is, but even when the company doesn't care whether the training is followed, it is still the employee's responsibility to abide by it.

Did the employee create an unsafe work environment for his or herself by ignoring training and methods, or did the employer create an unsafe work environment by failing to train them at all, training them to do something stupid, or not providing the equipment that the training calls for (load stands, shepherd's hooks, etc.).

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Less packages more personal attention. That would be good.

But would customers be willing to pay for that personal attention? There has to be a balance.

Training methods not applicable to all employees?

If the method was based on bad information/science, then it's possible. UPS is woefully underinformed when it comes to biomechanics.

UPS is a corporation.

Corporations are legal fictions created to define a relationship between people. Corporations cannot be punished for wrongdoing. A corporation is a highly efficient method of eliminating personal liability, which is what allows for increased risk taking.

Look at packaging, make assessment, accept or reject. System designed.

Will X-ray specs be standard issue? Or do we wait around while the shipper opens up each package for our inspection, then wait while they seal them back up?

reginald95

It's true. You are ultimately responsible for your own safety out there. Every time you decided to carry multiple packages in your arms instead of using your handtruck because that would slow you down, every time you cut across someone's lawn to get to their front door faster, every time you step down your package truck with a light package in hand instead of setting it down, stepping down then picking it up, and delivering an over 70 by yourself because it would take too long for another driver to get to you to help. These are just examples of things everyone does at some point or another that can cause a serious injury or life altering event. I still remember when I was a part-timer and hurt my back as a driver helper and where it occurred. I also remember that I kept working because I was getting top pay because it was before peak season. I also know deal with back discomfort that will never go away because of it.

Unless it's some freak accident or act of god, safety is in our own hands.

Leon

Anonymously quircky
The blame lies with the employer, not the employee. The nature of the business is relocating objects quickly, some of which are heavy. Accidents and injuries are bound to happen. Inherently the company's responsibility.

That said safety begins with each individual, following the methods and staying alert to ever changing conditions

Dr.Brownz

The company is at fault in all safety matters because the company willfully created a culture of rushing to make service. "create a sense of urgency"

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
hayzuse.gif
Here is San Diego Jesus loads my truck and he friend* up all the time!
You saying Hayzues can't hit a curveball?

Last edited: