Forklift Safety Issue or No? Input requested "On Topic"

Daf

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

It was brought to the attention of Integrity that a worker at a UPS facility was observed working under a golf cart style industrial vehicle that was raised up on the forks of a forklift.

Not sure if it was a UPS employee or outside service but it sounds like someone was working on one of the irregular tugs or similar equipment in this manner.

I have looked into some information on forklift safety and there doesn't seem to be anything that justifies this type of use or repair.

Maybe some discussion may shed some light as to whether this is a safety concern or if it is just an acceptable practice in industry.

My first thoughts are that it is not acceptable.

I
If it makes the job faster, then it is what the boss wants. Don’t question it or you will be labeled a problem employee. Trust me I know from experience.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If it makes the job faster, then it is what the boss wants. Don’t question it or you will be labeled a problem employee. Trust me I know from experience.
Not sure if speed is the motivation behind this apparent unsafe act.

If someone's life may be in danger, I will question it.

If any management labels someone a problem employee for voicing a concern then they are in violation of the Code of Business Conduct.

This violation makes them actually a problem employee who should be disciplined to change.

If discipline is unsuccessful then they should be discharged.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Ummm, no. A floor jack works on the same way a forklift forks do, on hydraulics. For the same reason you use jack stands for the appropriate weight of vehicle you’re working on, you’d use them on a an irreg cart for example, the same. If the hydraulics give way or a slow leak you don’t know about, it’s usually game over for whoever is under whatever they are working on. It’s easy to not see a very slow decline on a floor jack’s hydraulic when you’re working under a vehicle.

When I’m working on a vehicle I use the floor jack as a safety, not holding the weight of the vehicle, just touching the jack spot, jack stands, and a wheel under the car for a third level of safety.
Just make sure you don't use more than 2 jackstands. Any more could kill you.