Lets have a conversation on driving a package delivery truck

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
If you had that, some hemorrhoid in a cubicle would be calculating how many more stops per day you could handle with the time saved.

Your ideas make too much sense, which is why you left UPS. Can't have too many decent ideas floating around otherwise IE would be facing some big-time staffing cuts.

Thegameisrigged

Hi guys, I am from a design team at Georgia Tech doing some research on the experience of package delivery drivers and working on improving it in the future, we would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to share their experiences of driving the vehicle and answering some questions on driving and the future of delivery driving including autonomous delivery vehicles. Hit me up in private conversation if you are interested! Thanks!

Here are a few questions:

1. What are some difficulties or challenges that slow down the delivery process (for package delivery drivers)?
2. What are some changes you'll like to see in the delivery process?
3. What are your thoughts on working with a semi-autonomous/fully autonomous delivery vehicle?

Edit(1):
The purpose of the research is not to replace the driver in this situation but instead to redefine the role of the driver and better the experience.
Orion. It’s awful. Get rid of it. We need RDO back, SERIOUSLY.

flappybutt

1. What are some difficulties or challenges that slow down the delivery process (for package delivery drivers)?

Going to the back of the truck and grabbing a package. It's worse when Orion wants you to deliver a stop off of different shelves at different times. Keeping the next couple of stops in your cab would speed things up.
Less stops lol. Not having to scan every package. Would make mis deliveries more common though. A better loading system. Line the shelves with the Orion stop order instead of the edd.
3. What are your thoughts on working with a semi-autonomous/fully autonomous delivery vehicle?
You're taking work away from Union employees. We'd just push them off in the river. I could see it plausible if we delivered like 20 stops to the robots in a subdivision and set the robot to go deliver.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
If you really want to do some proper research on this subject, jump for peak season and get back to us.
Matter of fact, anybody who makes decisions like this pertaining to OUR JOB really outta be a helper for one day. One of those full 12 hour days right in the middle of peak. You want to be educated on what our job is like? Give us more resources to make the job go smoother? Come out with us when it’s 5 o’clock and we have a truck full of outbound and 120 stops left in the front

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
hell, i'd take a vent in the back to circulate the air. even I could design that!!!!!!
Here are some on a postal step van...

sketch-1566170719079.png

That & a solar powered roof fan should be sufficient

barnyard

KTM rider
1. Eliminate the end range motions involved with driving. Currently, they include: setting the park brake, shifting the trans into drive and then into park. Most of our package cars are poorly designed in terms of turning on the hazards 100+ times a day (I cannot see the switch or the dash flashers in my truck). Make the seatbelt easier to stow (I slide mine over the steering wheel, so that I can easily put it on when I get back in.)

There should be a fan in the cab on the dash and an exhaust fan in the cargo compartment.

2. more strictly enforce size and weight limits. Use productivity enhancements to shorten the work day. Adding more stops results in more repetitive motion injuries.

Implement a NFC chip (6in reach) that can be put on a wrist band or in a watch that will get rid of the FOB and use the buttons freely without worrying about the keys Incase we don’t hit the buttons fast enough etc, also bring back the automatic seat belt and common sensor that used to be installed back in the 90s

barnyard

KTM rider

Does not matter what drivers think. If UPS decides that they are the way to go, they will be and there will not be anything we can do about it. Ask railroaders what happened to the caboose.

CitizenTruth

Hi guys, I am from a design team at Georgia Tech doing some research on the experience of package delivery drivers and working on improving it in the future, we would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to share their experiences of driving the vehicle and answering some questions on driving and the future of delivery driving including autonomous delivery vehicles. Hit me up in private conversation if you are interested! Thanks!

Edit(1):
The purpose of the research is not to replace the driver in this situation but instead to redefine the role of the driver and better the experience.
Lmao ups dont listen to us, let them run their own business