Lets have a conversation on driving a package delivery truck

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Its a waste of time for drivers to make suggestions. Many have tried--all have been ignored.
That not true!
Maybe you were ignored and I agree with that decision! :wink2:

All of the 340 Methods were developed from observing drivers at UPS.
Even the layout of the DIAD keyboard (at least thru ver 4) was based on observing drivers.
The back-up cameras were developed based on driver input, for instance.

542thruNthru

That not true!

Even the layout of the DIAD keyboard (at least thru ver 4) was based on observing drivers.

What year is this???

rod

Retired 22 years
That not true!

I bet they observed all the drivers-determined which of them were total brown nosers and then based their decisions on how the brown nosers responded--after giving them the answers :-)

brostalss

Hi guys, I am from a design team at Georgia Tech doing some research on the experience of package delivery drivers and working on improving it in the future, we would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to share their experiences of driving the vehicle and answering some questions on driving and the future of delivery driving including autonomous delivery vehicles. Hit me up in private conversation if you are interested! Thanks!

Here are a few questions:

1. What are some difficulties or challenges that slow down the delivery process (for package delivery drivers)?
2. What are some changes you'll like to see in the delivery process?
3. What are your thoughts on working with a semi-autonomous/fully autonomous delivery vehicle?

Edit(1):
The purpose of the research is not to replace the driver in this situation but instead to redefine the role of the driver and better the experience.

A design team with zero experience in the package delivery world. Already a fail.

rocket man

Hi guys, I am from a design team at Georgia Tech doing some research on the experience of package delivery drivers and working on improving it in the future, we would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to share their experiences of driving the vehicle and answering some questions on driving and the future of delivery driving including autonomous delivery vehicles. Hit me up in private conversation if you are interested! Thanks!

Here are a few questions:

1. What are some difficulties or challenges that slow down the delivery process (for package delivery drivers)?
2. What are some changes you'll like to see in the delivery process?
3. What are your thoughts on working with a semi-autonomous/fully autonomous delivery vehicle?

Edit(1):
The purpose of the research is not to replace the driver in this situation but instead to redefine the role of the driver and better the experience.
Put the emergency brake handle on the left side of the dashboard what expecting up so you can just pull it down and pop it back up like the older trucks in the 60s 70s

35years

Gravy route

It was common knowledge when the cameras were installed that they had been mandated by court order because we had backed over someone.

I know I had first learned this from a manager who reluctantly shared it with me.

35years

Gravy route
Proactive: install cameras since we were backing over many kids.

Reactive: Do as the judge orders.

The manager (in loss prevention for over a decade) also told me UPS had successfully argued in court many times that they shouldn't be ordered to install back up beepers, because they didn't work....

The judge agreed (beepers don't prevent accidents) but he also had one of the (then new technology) cameras on his RV...and they do work. So he ordered us to install them on all package cars.

I think the court case was in Wichita, if I remember correctly.

Last edited: