Let's Talk Benefits (for PT Package Handlers)

MiiMee

How much are the union dues? Do you pay them every week? I know UPS offers health care. What about dental and vision? Do they offer 401K, short and long term disability? How much vacation and sick time do they offer? Do you have to wear a uniform to be a package handler?

km3

How much are the union dues? Do you pay them every week? I know UPS offers health care. What about dental and vision? Do they offer 401K, short and long term disability? How much vacation and sick time do they offer? Do you have to wear a uniform to be a package handler?

1) Varies from local to local. I pay dues once a month, and it's just shy of 3 times my hourly rate.

2) Yes. But on Teamcare, EyeMed is by far the weakest link.

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) Varies by location. I got one week and an option week after one year. But I have no paid sick days.

6) I wish.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
1) Varies from local to local. I pay dues once a month, and it's just shy of 3 times my hourly rate.

2) Yes. But on Teamcare, EyeMed is by far the weakest link.

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) Varies by location. I got one week and an option week after one year. But I have no paid sick days.

6) I wish.

See post #2

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jibbs

Pretty much everything's been answered but as far as union dues, that'll be different depending on your local.

You can find that out by Googling "Teamster Local Package [your town, state]" and doing a little digging around to find which your potential building would fall under.

...Or you could ask someone you know in the building, if that works.

Then just Google the UPS National Contract to find the corresponding supplement, and use the search function on the PDF to find out about union dues.

I'm at two times my hourly rate plus one dollar per month, and that gets me some pretty sweet :censored2:ing benefits (that kick in after way too long for newcomers) so I can't really complain about it at all. Plus, union protection is awesome and I'm willing to pay for that perk.