Lies?

Purple2Brown

So from what I gather, its pretty much impossible to be hired permanently as a peak season temp and all the supervisors have just been blowing smoke up my ass? I should expect to be fired next week?

35years

Gravy route
So from what I gather, its pretty much impossible to be hired permanently as a peak season temp and all the supervisors have just been blowing smoke up my ass? I should expect to be fired next week?
I have known a few (very few) who have been hired permanently after being seasonal. But yes, they will lead many on.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
raw

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It depends on your center ... you should know better about your center than anyone on Brown Cafe.
They lead everyone on but some centers don't have any part-timers that are interested in a driving job or can't qualify.
Many drivers are retiring.
UPS is adding infrastructure and therefore, package car positions. This is after many years of no CapEx on infrastructure except where absolutely required.
So, let us know in a couple of months.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Every building has a certain amount of people to roster.
Depending on how many PTers are moving into full time positions or retirements, that will equal the openings.
If you work in a hub, the chances of you staying increase because of more people movement.
Smaller buildings offer less opportunity.
All the UPS buildings are going to get their butts kicked after New Years with the 3 day weekend and the usual returns/ online deals.
If you weren't one of the last people hired, you will be working in January.

upschuck

Depends, are you talking driver, or inside work? I know of a couple people who were hired as drivers, from working a seasonal driving job, and HR was calling seasonal inside workers the other day, if they wanted to be hired permanently.

Ms.PacMan

It's not impossible but not likely in January.
I talked with a off the street peak season driver this summer who was disappointed that he didn't get hired and I told him to call UPS and remind them he was still interested in a job. He was working the preload a couple weeks later and worked again as a driver this peak.

The Driver

I drive.
Best course of action? Tell them you've enjoyed driving and shake your center manager's hand on the last day. Hope to get a phone call in the early spring to go for your 30 days. Other than that, change your account name to Brown2Purple?

PT Car Washer

Best course of action? Tell them you've enjoyed driving and shake your center manager's hand on the last day. Hope to get a phone call in the early spring to go for your 30 days. Other than that, change your account name to Brown2Purple?
Or accept a PT position, drive Saturdays and wait for a FT driving job to open up.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
They tell that to everyone but just like Monkey said , but it is possible.

5 months after my 1st seasonal peak they called me for full time work. keep trying if you want it.

Over 70

In my building they hired everyone as permanent part timers who are driver qualified. Of course you can't obtain seniority during peak so you're still expendable is what I gathered.

After Christmas they told me and another guy we're keepers and will be sticking around after Jan 15 as reg-temps and everyone else is gone which from the last few days seems true. We'll see how the chips actually fall...

The center manager said out of the 12 people they hired last peak only 1 is still there.

Who knows but that's how stuff looks at my building if that helps at all?

Brisket

Depends, are you talking driver, or inside work? I know of a couple people who were hired as drivers, from working a seasonal driving job, and HR was calling seasonal inside workers the other day, if they wanted to be hired permanently.

Same here, as there were 5 drivers that are now retired, they have to get people qualified and trained... so everyone can try to keep up with the impending summer madness.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Your level of expectations will determine your level of disappointment. Of course that is up to you.

Basically, yes. ;p

working up a sweat

They will keep the the cream of the crop of newbies that were hired after 10-01.

If you showed up on time every night and not booked out counts a lot.

If you have a positive attitude and work as directed and bust :censored2: and talk to your senior management about you want to stay will help too.