Lifer Hip Surgery YIKES!

UPS Lifer

Here goes the thread! Lifer, I hope you went for a second opinion. I don't know how old you are and any mitigating factors, but artificial hips don't last that long. I'm just looking out for you, the old and/or new. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a pain free existance. You've been added to our ever increasing prayer list.:peaceful:

Not to worry, I know your are just looking out for me. Good news for UPS insured - This has been a very easy process. I have two nurse practitioners (from Aetna) that I am dealing with. This is included in our insurance. One is my case worker for the operation and the other is a wellness coach. Great perk especially if you have health issues.

They are doing marvelous things with hip replacements now. My doctor is Harvard trained and has done thousands of these operations. She is phenomenal. She feels if I take care of this and don't abuse it, I could get a lifetime of service. I am 58! She did an anterior approach, her specialty and less invasive and my hip was completely disintegrated. It took a little longer than normal because she was cleaning out a lot of bone fragments. Thanks Steve for your concern. You are right, you have to look at all aspects. I was worried about the coverage as a retiree but not anymore and I really appreciate the effort that Aetna goes through to on an individual basis.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Lifer....OK, lets get down to brass tacks !! What pain pill did they give you??
Seriously, good to hear you are OK.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Not to worry, I know your are just looking out for me. Good news for UPS insured - This has been a very easy process. I have two nurse practitioners (from Aetna) that I am dealing with. This is included in our insurance. One is my case worker for the operation and the other is a wellness coach. Great perk especially if you have health issues.

They are doing marvelous things with hip replacements now. My doctor is Harvard trained and has done thousands of these operations. She is phenomenal. She feels if I take care of this and don't abuse it, I could get a lifetime of service. I am 58! She did an anterior approach, her specialty and less invasive and my hip was completely disintegrated. It took a little longer than normal because she was cleaning out a lot of bone fragments. Thanks Steve for your concern. You are right, you have to look at all aspects. I was worried about the coverage as a retiree but not anymore and I really appreciate the effort that Aetna goes through to on an individual basis.
I'm glad it turned out well for you, Lifer. I was looking out for you and it seems like you took the right course of action. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I am curious, how much of the hip do they take out? Both sides? What do they replace it with? Is there a big incision? Does it affect how you walk? All I know is that old people seem to fall down and break them.:peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Awesome! Glad to see you are back on.:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I am curious, how much of the hip do they take out? Both sides? What do they replace it with? Is there a big incision? Does it affect how you walk? All I know is that old people seem to fall down and break them.:peaceful:
It's a replacement, so I assume it's pretty invasive. As for the amount of hip, I believe they use whatever they can use, though, if the person is very active they tend to have a 10 year limit (don't think there's a warranty, either), at which time they need to go in again and try to salvage as much bone as possible. The problems I see with this is nothing of this nature lasts long enough and by the time all the replacements are done you could be a whole foot shorter.

UPS Lifer

I do have to admit...they give you the "good stuff"! I was only taking it at night time but now I am taking two pills during the day to help with the rehab and PT. J honestly thought my pain level was low not realizing that the trained staff look at your facial expressions to determine your REAL pain level. So now that I recognize that I am working to keep the pain manageable. (Do you think anyone bought that ;) ) !

Big Babooba

I do have to admit...they give you the "good stuff"! I was only taking it at night time but now I am taking two pills during the day to help with the rehab and PT. J honestly thought my pain level was low not realizing that the trained staff look at your facial expressions to determine your REAL pain level. So now that I recognize that I am working to keep the pain manageable. (Do you think anyone bought that ;) ) !
Boy you got the good stuff! When I had surgery after my work related injury, Slippery Mutual gave me a bullet to bite down on and half a bottle of old rotgut whiskey for the pain.:angry: I'm glad that you're doing well. How soon before you can chase your wife around the house again? (or does she chase you?).:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I had my surgery I was given hydrocodone. It is easy to see how people can get hooked on pain meds.

Lifer, Steve could use someone to pace him when he runs the Boston Marathon next year--do you think you'll be ready in time?

UPS Lifer

Boy you got the good stuff! When I had surgery after my work related injury, Slippery Mutual gave me a bullet to bite down on and half a bottle of old rotgut whiskey for the pain.:angry: I'm glad that you're doing well. How soon before you can chase your wife around the house again? (or does she chase you?).:wink2:

I am chasing her in my dreams. Actually, last night I was able to get in and out of bed with no help. My wife got a good night sleep for the 1st time in a week. I hid my "Big Bertha". She has been looking for it.... I overheard her saying I am going to stick it where the sun don't shine. I don't want to become "too close" to Big Bertha if you know what I mean ;) !

When I had my surgery I was given hydrocodone. It is easy to see how people can get hooked on pain meds.

Lifer, Steve could use someone to pace him when he runs the Boston Marathon next year--do you think you'll be ready in time?

I went to PT yesterday ... My therapist introduced herself to me as "Mistress Linda". I knew I was in big trouble from that point forward!:knockedout: She told me that I better make sure I take my pain meds the next time I see her. (I may take my gun too! LOL!)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Next time you see Mistress Linda, just smile away & laugh.....she won't know how to handle it because she's used to seeing people grimace and it'll totally throw her off her game. Good luck with your PT.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am chasing her in my dreams. Actually, last night I was able to get in and out of bed with no help. My wife got a good night sleep for the 1st time in a week. I hid my "Big Bertha". She has been looking for it.... I overheard her saying I am going to stick it where the sun don't shine. I don't want to become "too close" to Big Bertha if you know what I mean ;) !

I went to PT yesterday ... My therapist introduced herself to me as "Mistress Linda". I knew I was in big trouble from that point forward!:knockedout: She told me that I better make sure I take my pain meds the next time I see her. (I may take my gun too! LOL!)

If you need some extra fire power give me a call...................................:happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Lifer,
I was reading your daily blog and you mentioned about range of motion. This is why you push during P.T. I'm not certain of the time span, but it's like work like crazy for 30 days in PT because after 30 days, that's all the range of motion you are going to get.

That may not be the actual time frame, but I think you get my point. P.T. is sooo important, even when you don't feel like it.

Keep on keeping on! :happy2: