Living wage for part timers

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The point is there aren't really many better jobs. I can understand a local grocery paying below the living wage. But think about it.... Mcdonald's, Walmart, UPS..... these are fortune 500 companies making billions in profit, yet not a lot of quality workers want to work there. People should be envious of workers at America's most profitable companies, they could pay a lot more but they don't.
I can appreciate your point, and I agree with your opinion, but here's the thing and you pointed it out...they don't. They simply don't. They don't, they don't, they don't. The executive system we have in the US is criminal. Costco is still a holdout in the corporate world. The only reason why Costco hasn't followed suit is because the original owner is still the top executive. And unless their executives came up from their own ranks and hold his same values, Costco will follow the same path. I can all but guarantee it. Also, how is it alright for the local grocery store to pay low dollar for an employee who does the exact same thing at WalMart? If you want to push the living wage argument it has to follow suit or you create the cast system all over again. If that grocery store is going to pay 15 an hour, the price of everything goes up about 60 cents.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You missed the point...
If UPS paid its employees so good before, and someone to say those days are long gone, BUT WHY?
Ups who made less Profit in the good ole days, is making Record Profit Today can't pay more?

Oh yeah, they are making Record Profit on the LOW Wages and Backs of the new hires....

Why? It's simple full timers vote. Part timers don't.

brown_trousers

Why? It's simple full timers vote. Part timers don't.

Well I hope the FT, see what is and or was going to happen to Retirees.......

It is because FTers vote more, and when they do vote, they are not looking out for their fellow PT brothers. It has created a system of FTers only looking out for FTers, and PTers only looking out for PTers. The days of having teamster "brothers" is over, it has become a fend-for-yourself mentality.

gorilla75jdw

its called capitalism . go buy your own business, then decide your business plan , and pay all your pt and ft employees all ur profit , duhhhh , wake up dude

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
but those places dont give benefits like UPS does! thats why many of those Walmart and fast food people get a second job at UPS!
^^^^Exactly!
I look at it this way- my inside rate is about $17/hr, plus the pension & health insurance contribution. So now for a part time job, my total hourly benefit is about $35/hr. You won't get that anywhere, it's a great gig for me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I find the "pull yourself up by the bootstrap" mentality, plain ignorant.

Understood that the wealthy business executives and people who run the country want that type of obedient, unthinking worker bee just smart enough to run the machines and dumb enough to accept everything else. But when I hear it from normal, blue collar people, it's pretty frustrating.

Overpaid Union Thug

I find the "pull yourself up by the bootstrap" mentality, plain ignorant.

Understood that the wealthy business executives and people who run the country want that type of obedient, unthinking worker bee just smart enough to run the machines and dumb enough to accept everything else. But when I hear it from normal, blue collar people, it's pretty frustrating.

One could easily say the same thing about not believing in the ability of pulling ones self up by their bootstrap. And being blue collar or white collar could easily be subjective to that belief. Life is what we make of it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
One could easily say the same thing about not believing in the ability of pulling ones self up by their bootstrap. And being blue collar or white collar could easily be subjective to that belief. Life is what we make of it.
Spoken like a true southerner...now put your head down and go back to the machine, master is watching.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The vast majority of wealth in this country was handed-down and not earned. Upward-mobility is virtually non-existent, especially given the social stratifications. Do you agree or disagree with this statement, or otherwise?

While the gap between the wealthiest and the poorest is increasing in the US less than 40% of the wealth is held by less than 1/2 of one percent of the population(about 300,000 people).

The US has less than 500 billionaires.

The number of millionaires in the US is over 5,200,000 of which 5,000,000 earned it in their lifetime.

I know many millionaires and they all earned it ... mostly as business owners that they started themselves.

I have run into a couple people that inherited wealth over one million and they both were very hard working people and highly involved in charity.

The US is still one of the best countries that have opportunity to work hard and gain wealth.

​PS - I know a few people that earn over one million a year and they spend it all ... therefore no real wealth.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
While the gap between the wealthiest and the poorest is increasing in the US less than 40% of the wealth is held by less than 1/2 of one percent of the population(about 300,000 people).

The US has less than 500 billionaires.

The number of millionaires in the US is over 5,200,000 of which 5,000,000 earned it in their lifetime.

I know many millionaires and they all earned it ... mostly as business owners that they started themselves.

I have run into a couple people that inherited wealth over one million and they both were very hard working people and highly involved in charity.

The US is still one of the best countries that have opportunity to work hard and gain wealth.

​PS - I know a few people that earn over one million a year and they spend it all ... therefore no real wealth.
I agree with a few of these points, but none address the fact that the majority (not all) of millionaires did not come from a background of poverty, poor schools and little access to higher education.

You are correct, the U.S. is a great place to make money and gain wealth (hid away in overseas tax shelters of course!)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wrong! Around 85% of wealth is first generation and not handed down.
At least cite something, a study with statistics, anything...lol That's how most people try to be factual, anyway.

You took my point a little too literally, maybe my fault...

Again - the vast majority of wealthy people were not born poor or into poverty, their success has been augmented by a variety of external factors that can't be identified in any studies and stats (which you failed to provide, along with most who try to make the point you are making). If you believe the big lie, go for it.