Load retainers...we are screwed. Final report....

quad decade guy

So, a determination has been made.......the rear door of a trailer can suffice for load retainment. Ergo "the 4 sides".

I was actually told a 100% load is our example of this being so.....How you ask? Well it was stated that "because when the load falls it will rest against the door......" No. Really. The ORS said this. So, no load retainer needed....see? I was stunned.

And so folks......we are well and truly screwed.

So, pkgs falling and all that? Well, it's up to the employee(driver/unload etc) to avoid injury. And then they went on to remind us how we were trained to use the doors as "shields".....

With the Safety Co-chair/Union Steward going along with it all.....

What about DOT? Well, this decision was determined from that language.

I could tell from the ORS staff's demeanor that this has been sent from on High.

My recommendation? Tricky....I have also been told "100 mile checks" are no longer tolerated.....considered stealing time. I truly believe this determination can and will be used to enforce "The on time feeder network". Again we have several folks terminated for stealing time with "unscheduled" stops. Proceed carefully. If you need to stop....my advice is to punch out. If you are making it a habit....they are watching you. Guaranteed. The Union? Completely silent.....and what of these fired folks? Most get their jobs back.....but no back pay. Costing them thousands in pay. Now, each of these folks were fired for failed service(their loads were late/missed sort).....all traced back to these "unscheduled stops".

What to do? Tricky....all I can say is you better have each and every duck in a row. And be confident...no, absolutely sure you will win. Going to OSHA/DOT? See above.

No? Beware.

Cowboy Mac

I don’t understand. What are these drivers stopping for that they are getting fired? You should be able to stop to use the restroom on the clock or off without retaliation. Are they buying snacks or coffee on the clock?

Cowboy Mac

So what is the point of this thread? If you feel like the load needs a retainer then request one. You’re not required to do anything you feel is unsafe. Don’t spend money on the clock. If you know the rules and your rights you shouldn’t have to constantly be in fear of losing your job. Especially after 40 years…

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So what is the point of this thread? If you feel like the load needs a retainer then request one. You’re not required to do anything you feel is unsafe. Don’t spend money on the clock. If you know the rules and your rights you shouldn’t have to constantly be in fear of losing your job. Especially after 40 years…
The guy needs to change his handle to
Nervous Nellie or Conspiracy theory Connie
SMH

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
So, a determination has been made.......the rear door of a trailer can suffice for load retainment. Ergo "the 4 sides".

I was actually told a 100% load is our example of this being so.....How you ask? Well it was stated that "because when the load falls it will rest against the door......" No. Really. The ORS said this. So, no load retainer needed....see? I was stunned.

So, pkgs falling and all that? Well, it's up to the employee(driver/unload etc) to avoid injury. And then they went on to remind us how we were trained to use the doors as "shields".....

I could tell from the ORS staff's demeanor that this has been sent from on High.

My recommendation? Tricky....I have also been told "100 mile checks" are no longer tolerated.....considered stealing time. I truly believe this determination can and will be used to enforce "The on time feeder network". Again we have several folks terminated for stealing time with "unscheduled" stops. Proceed carefully. If you need to stop....my advice is to punch out. If you are making it a habit....they are watching you. Guaranteed. The Union? Completely silent.....and what of these fired folks? Most get their jobs back.....but no back pay. Costing them thousands in pay. Now, each of these folks were fired for failed service(their loads were late/missed sort).....all traced back to these "unscheduled stops".

What to do? Tricky....all I can say is you better have each and every duck in a row. And be confident...no, absolutely sure you will win. Going to OSHA/DOT? See above.

No? Beware.

You have a few options
1) request a load brace/strap
2)refuse to take trailer (safety issue)
3) call the dot anonymously, tip them off to where you’ll be on road… pulled over … inspection … if it’s serious, ups will be fined. Abs you are just “working as directed)
4) quit being a bitch, shut your pie hole, do your job & punch out.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
You have a few options
1) request a load brace/strap
2)refuse to take trailer (safety issue)
3) call the dot anonymously, tip them off to where you’ll be on road… pulled over … inspection … if it’s serious, ups will be fined. Abs you are just “working as directed)
4) quit being a bitch, shut your pie hole, do your job & punch out.
He'll never do it. The manager has his balls in a fruit jar under his desk. He sloshed them around and laughs every morning. Think I'm lying? Listen to his posts again. Quad decade coward.

UPSER1987

No? Beware.
Shrugs shoulders.

quad decade guy

To all,

Thanks for your input.......

1) Anti-union? Hardly....I'm looking for SUPPORT from them. Especially since I've paid for such for 40 years....the "Union" is purely "reactive"....just always behind the curve....while employees cool their heels on termination.

2) Fearmongering? Hardly....by definition these events are quite real and happening right NOW. Going on now.....

3) Now, sure you can "request a strap"....and even refuse to take it. But what is being missed here.....is who makes that determination? If it has been determined straps are subjective/optional......when you cause a load to be missed.....in the end...who is going to defend you? Again a reactive Union......comes into play AFTER you are fired. See? I'd like to see a determination OFFICIALLY as in writing.

4) Know the rules? What are they.....exactly? Example: If you have to stop and pee/poop 3 times in a 4:45 leg.....what are your "rights" exactly? Female? What about that? Again we have/had these scenarios....leading to termination(see above)....not me....

5) What is really happening? The vast majority of feeder drivers in this District simply try to open trailer doors to check 3 pkgs, obtain paperwork/seals etc. If-none of this possible......they simply shut the door and obtain alternative paperwork/seals and depart. You say so what?......well...shifted loads?......I know a driver charged with an accident after rolling a 53 ft. on a curve BELOW speed limit, observerd by a cop.......this driver had PREVIOUSLY complained(to no avail) to Mgt. about this regular pickup stop not being load retained. So, what about all those roll-overs with sets/longs etc.? And you cowboys that think you can truly do whatever you want.....it is not so. And "feeling" or "I thought" ultimately is not absolute. Lot's of pick-up loads are palletized/shrink wrapped and loaded as they are.....with shifting possible front to back, side to side.....no? see above. Now, just refuse to pull it.....especially in front of the customer....no?

And you guys just say...."not my problem".....see above. Again, relying on the Union to back you.......really? And back to the shrink wrapped pallets? Say the Company comes back and says "they were retained..." Now what? See? This thing is way to nebulous/subjective.

6) A solution? Every load must be retained with a retaining device and these need to be defined in writing. With the Union leading the way....saying we back you. A definition(by DOT) as applied to our operations must be determined. Again, not a devining as interpreted by UPS.

7) Know your rights.....what are they? Exactly now.

8) I talk with fellow drivers about this subject.....most(not all) are at least indifferent. Most just say...."If they don't care...I don't care".
Consequences/possibilities? Shrug.

9) Safety? During my communications with Mgt./drivers/loaders.....never really enters the conversation.

10) In aviation, every accident/event(called different things) has an investigation and determination of a chain of events and recommendations for a safer outcome. DOJ can add criminal penalties also. Our accidents are investigated in a similar manner...sort of...with a punitive measure added. You know- disciplinary action. This discipline can be used at the discretion of the Company. Yes, the Union can be used as representation. The outcome is at most....uncertain. There are no absolutes.

And as usual....I am personally attacked. Why? Not really sure. So odd. If anything at the very least....I am an advocate for the employee. Why I am belittled for this.....is not clear to me. A general sorriness of my detractors is all I can determine. Nothing else makes logical sense.

quad decade guy

As a 40 year employee, Circle of Honor driver(30 years)(I'm even belittled for this), never lost time injury in 40 years......

I would hope a frank discussion without such hatred could occur.

Sigh.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
As a 40 year employee, Circle of Honor driver(30 years)(I'm even belittled for this), never lost time injury in 40 years......

I would hope a frank discussion without such hatred could occur.

Sigh.
You are the poster child for all that is right about UPS
3EA38EFA-09B7-4AA3-944C-AE1ED88F2E84.gif

17E93DF3-118C-4239-A524-D43B77C9D665.gif

quad decade guy

Shrugs shoulders.
And that folks will be someones epitaph.....

Maybe yours @upser 1987.....

We don't know when fate/history will reach out and take or even touch one of us.

But simply ignoring or deliberately being obtuse/deliberately obstinate(to be hateful/spiteful) to a possibly preventable tragedy is true intellectual dishonesty. Always on display here on BC.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
To all,

Thanks for your input.......

1) Anti-union? Hardly....I'm looking for SUPPORT from them. Especially since I've paid for such for 40 years....the "Union" is purely "reactive"....just always behind the curve....while employees cool their heels on termination.

2) Fearmongering? Hardly....by definition these events are quite real and happening right NOW. Going on now.....

3) Now, sure you can "request a strap"....and even refuse to take it. But what is being missed here.....is who makes that determination? If it has been determined straps are subjective/optional......when you cause a load to be missed.....in the end...who is going to defend you? Again a reactive Union......comes into play AFTER you are fired. See? I'd like to see a determination OFFICIALLY as in writing.

4) Know the rules? What are they.....exactly? Example: If you have to stop and pee/poop 3 times in a 4:45 leg.....what are your "rights" exactly? Female? What about that? Again we have/had these scenarios....leading to termination(see above)....not me....

5) What is really happening? The vast majority of feeder drivers in this District simply try to open trailer doors to check 3 pkgs, obtain paperwork/seals etc. If-none of this possible......they simply shut the door and obtain alternative paperwork/seals and depart. You say so what?......well...shifted loads?......I know a driver charged with an accident after rolling a 53 ft. on a curve BELOW speed limit, observerd by a cop.......this driver had PREVIOUSLY complained(to no avail) to Mgt. about this regular pickup stop not being load retained. So, what about all those roll-overs with sets/longs etc.? And you cowboys that think you can truly do whatever you want.....it is not so. And "feeling" or "I thought" ultimately is not absolute. Lot's of pick-up loads are palletized/shrink wrapped and loaded as they are.....with shifting possible front to back, side to side.....no? see above. Now, just refuse to pull it.....especially in front of the customer....no?

And you guys just say...."not my problem".....see above. Again, relying on the Union to back you.......really? And back to the shrink wrapped pallets? Say the Company comes back and says "they were retained..." Now what? See? This thing is way to nebulous/subjective.

6) A solution? Every load must be retained with a retaining device and these need to be defined in writing. With the Union leading the way....saying we back you. A definition(by DOT) as applied to our operations must be determined. Again, not a devining as interpreted by UPS.

7) Know your rights.....what are they? Exactly now.

8) I talk with fellow drivers about this subject.....most(not all) are at least indifferent. Most just say...."If they don't care...I don't care".
Consequences/possibilities? Shrug.

9) Safety? During my communications with Mgt./drivers/loaders.....never really enters the conversation.

10) In aviation, every accident/event(called different things) has an investigation and determination of a chain of events and recommendations for a safer outcome. DOJ can add criminal penalties also. Our accidents are investigated in a similar manner...sort of...with a punitive measure added. You know- disciplinary action. This discipline can be used at the discretion of the Company. Yes, the Union can be used as representation. The outcome is at most....uncertain. There are no absolutes.

And as usual....I am personally attacked. Why? Not really sure. So odd. If anything at the very least....I am an advocate for the employee. Why I am belittled for this.....is not clear to me. A general sorriness of my detractors is all I can determine. Nothing else makes logical sense.
If you have to stop to pee/poop 3 times in a 4:45 leg, you have bigger problems than not having a load retainer.