Load retainers...we are screwed. Final report....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So, a determination has been made.......the rear door of a trailer can suffice for load retainment. Ergo "the 4 sides".

I was actually told a 100% load is our example of this being so.....How you ask? Well it was stated that "because when the load falls it will rest against the door......" No. Really. The ORS said this. So, no load retainer needed....see? I was stunned.

And so folks......we are well and truly screwed.

So, pkgs falling and all that? Well, it's up to the employee(driver/unload etc) to avoid injury. And then they went on to remind us how we were trained to use the doors as "shields".....

With the Safety Co-chair/Union Steward going along with it all.....

What about DOT? Well, this decision was determined from that language.

I could tell from the ORS staff's demeanor that this has been sent from on High.

My recommendation? Tricky....I have also been told "100 mile checks" are no longer tolerated.....considered stealing time. I truly believe this determination can and will be used to enforce "The on time feeder network". Again we have several folks terminated for stealing time with "unscheduled" stops. Proceed carefully. If you need to stop....my advice is to punch out. If you are making it a habit....they are watching you. Guaranteed. The Union? Completely silent.....and what of these fired folks? Most get their jobs back.....but no back pay. Costing them thousands in pay. Now, each of these folks were fired for failed service(their loads were late/missed sort).....all traced back to these "unscheduled stops".

What to do? Tricky....all I can say is you better have each and every duck in a row. And be confident...no, absolutely sure you will win. Going to OSHA/DOT? See above.

No? Beware.
Do the job
Stop for break or bathroom.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Do the job
922B20BC-2800-4CE5-8DE1-2F76851E1366.jpeg

quad decade guy

Talked with a retired cop friend....

He suggested contacting a DPS Trooper.

I am going to do that. Tomorrow.

If he says retainers are highly subjective....that will probably be the end of the subject for me.

However, if he says they must be on all our loads....I will take it to another level....it has gone to the Division level so far.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

If he says retainers are highly subjective....that will probably be the end of the subject for me.

However, if he says they must be on all our loads....I will take it to another level....it has gone to the Division level so far.
You sure this is the hill you want to die on?
Load retainers seriously

Cowboy Mac

A6B0515B-54AA-48B9-95F4-E62F21E4C842.gif

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Do the job
Equipment checks are a DOT requirement for the first 50 miles and then every 150 miles or 3 hours. This is federal law. Let UPS try and hardball me or any other driver for complying.

quad decade guy

Equipment checks are a DOT requirement for the first 50 miles and then every 150 miles or 3 hours. This is federal law. Let UPS try and hardball me or any other driver for complying.
Oh?

Here, they have determined that language doesn't apply to our operations. Same for load retainers. As per Division Mgr.

You sure about that? Absolutely 100 %?

Btw, I was never trained to what you said. Never did that. It's not in my schedule. Strange it's not if rock solid law....eh?

Not sure what hardball means.

If you, I would get confirmation in writing from the Company and Union.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My state's CDL manual says that too, but it's under the cargo securement section. The DOT exempts sealed trailers though.
Screenshot_20211102-231348_Chrome.jpg

quad decade guy

UPS counts on the drivers that run scared all day. Safety first.
They also rely on drivers to break the law....speeding, load retainers etc. Drivers who are indifferent.....like on BC. The kind who would rather see a fatality, injury or termination instead of making a difference. Like on BC. Sorriness for sure.

The kind that would belittle a person for trying to make a difference.

Indeed.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Bingo.

See the hotheads here are rather...obtuse.

And perhaps don't know what they are talking about...perhaps.

Again....does this apply to us?

If so, then load retainers are indeed optional.

That's it. It's over.
That's just for en route inspections.
You're still required to make sure it's secured at point of origin.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
So, a determination has been made.......the rear door of a trailer can suffice for load retainment. Ergo "the 4 sides".

I was actually told a 100% load is our example of this being so.....How you ask? Well it was stated that "because when the load falls it will rest against the door......" No. Really. The ORS said this. So, no load retainer needed....see? I was stunned.

And so folks......we are well and truly screwed.

So, pkgs falling and all that? Well, it's up to the employee(driver/unload etc) to avoid injury. And then they went on to remind us how we were trained to use the doors as "shields".....

With the Safety Co-chair/Union Steward going along with it all.....

What about DOT? Well, this decision was determined from that language.

I could tell from the ORS staff's demeanor that this has been sent from on High.

My recommendation? Tricky....I have also been told "100 mile checks" are no longer tolerated.....considered stealing time. I truly believe this determination can and will be used to enforce "The on time feeder network". Again we have several folks terminated for stealing time with "unscheduled" stops. Proceed carefully. If you need to stop....my advice is to punch out. If you are making it a habit....they are watching you. Guaranteed. The Union? Completely silent.....and what of these fired folks? Most get their jobs back.....but no back pay. Costing them thousands in pay. Now, each of these folks were fired for failed service(their loads were late/missed sort).....all traced back to these "unscheduled stops".

What to do? Tricky....all I can say is you better have each and every duck in a row. And be confident...no, absolutely sure you will win. Going to OSHA/DOT? See above.

No? Beware.
You need to chill out dude. They’re just boxes. Don’t let it run your life.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Oh?

Here, they have determined that language doesn't apply to our operations. Same for load retainers. As per Division Mgr.

You sure about that? Absolutely 100 %?

Btw, I was never trained to what you said. Never did that. It's not in my schedule. Strange it's not if rock solid law....eh?

Not sure what hardball means.

If you, I would get confirmation in writing from the Company and Union.
I don’t need confirmation from either the union or UPS. That’s the law. The company can’t force you to do anything “unethical, illegal, or unsafe”. Not checking your equipment en route would be all three of those things. That’s an easy win, and if not, an easy lawsuit. “100%”