Local Panel

Upshreeve

I've never been to one, what is this going to look like? Who is going to be there? Does the panel reach an agreement, is there an arbitrator? Who makes the decision?

Really just looking for an idea of what to expect.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I've never been to one, what is this going to look like? Who is going to be there? Does the panel reach an agreement, is there an arbitrator? Who makes the decision?

Really just looking for an idea of what to expect.

It is usually in a hotel conference room. Four or six panel members. Two or three on the company side, two or three on the union side.

On the other side of the table is the grievant sitting beside his BA. Next to them is the company labor guy.

Each side presents their case with rebuttal. Sometime the panel members ask questions, sometimes not.

When the case has been presented, the parties are usually excused from the room and then the panel debates the case.

They either come to a decision by majority or, if an even split, it is deadlocked and moved to the next step.

This is how most of the country works. There are some exceptions, but if you are asking how a panel works, it should follow the above procedure.

Usually, an arbitrator is the last step in the process if deadlocked all the way through.

rod

Retired 22 years
From what I've always heard the cases have already been decided before hand. It don't matter how you plead your case. It's kind of like "Give us this one and you can have that one" --- I could be wrong but that's what I've always heard. If that's true its pretty sad.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
From what I've always heard the cases have already been decided before hand. It don't matter how you plead your case. It's kind of like "Give us this one and you can have that one" --- I could be wrong but that's what I've always heard. If that's true its pretty sad.

Sometmes yes, but not necessarily all the time.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I have also seen them change their mind. The union traded away a particular grievance the night before for something else.

The next day during the hearing, they heard something that they did not know and changed their mind, went to bat for the guy, and he ended up being re-instated.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have never heard of a "Local Panel"????

Now a "Local Level Hearing", yes.

State Panel rules and decorum can vary from region to region...and some locals like 804, 705, and 710 have their own infrastructure and are beholding to no state or regional panels.

We need more info in order to answer the OP's questions.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
In this area it's always 3 for the company, 3 for the Union + 1 recorder that's either from the company or union alternating every other panel.

The grievant should always attend, but it's not always mandatory, plus your BA, who will present your case and center mgr who will present for the company.

Labor mgr will likely be a panel member.

Steward773

The panel system is a joke, here at least. The same clowns have been on the panel for years, you can't tell me that they haven't established relationships. A lot of the cases are decided before hand the day before at pre-hearings.

Faceplanted

I have also seen them change their mind. The union traded away a particular grievance the night before for something else.

The next day during the hearing, they heard something that they did not know and changed their mind, went to bat for the guy, and he ended up being re-instated.
Don't I pay the union to go to bat for me all the time?

The company and the union are a joke with their shady side deals. Nlrb needs to be in more than half the locals in this country

Like others have said these guys go play golf and grab drinks together before and after the hearings. How can we have fair checks and balances when these guys are usually and mostly friends ?

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
From what I've always heard the cases have already been decided before hand.

Sometmes yes, but not necessarily all the time.

I can't speak for every Panel....

But, as someone that has been a Union Panel member (and sgt-at-arms)

I've never seen that happen.

State Panel rules and decorum can vary from region to region.

Yep.

Every Panel (state, regional, or National) have "Rules of Procedure".

The panel system is a joke, here at least. The same clowns have been on the panel for years.

Who sits on the Panel, is generally based on seniority. (in elected office)

A lot of the cases are decided before hand the day before at pre-hearings.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pre-hearings".

Again.... every case I have been involved with, was not biased.

-Bug-