Looking for some insight on purchasing and running a ground route

bbsam

Staff member
Liability
There you go. Now if I wanted to go out and purchase some very expensive insurance, I could carry other packages along with Fred's. As it stands, he pays that and it's his DOT number (which he also pays for) so it's his freight.

Now I did at one time look into using a straight truck for both Ground and American Furniture and that would have been possible as long as we used different magnetic placards depending on which co.p any was being served.

bbsam

Staff member
My BIL was and independent contractor with another large company, he could do whatever he wanted with his truck, a true independent contractor.
Well, I won't go (yet again) into the vague (purposely so) aspects of contractual labor. Suffice it to say that different courts have looked at exactly the same facts and come to opposite conclusions on what makes a "truly independent contractor".

FedGT

There you go. Now if I wanted to go out and purchase some very expensive insurance, I could carry other packages along with Fred's. As it stands, he pays that and it's his DOT number (which he also pays for) so it's his freight.

Now I did at one time look into using a straight truck for both Ground and American Furniture and that would have been possible as long as we used different magnetic placards depending on which co.p any was being served.

Notice this was brought up about 30 posts ago but conveniently overlooked and not responded to. Yet if we don't respond to regular nonsense "they win the argument".

dmac1

That's another phony excuse. I actually was a contractor for another company, and they provided all the insurance while I was delivering for them. Cut the BS.

It isn't about insurance for Fred. It is about controlling you and making sure that you don't work for anyone else.

dmac1

Notice this was brought up about 30 posts ago but conveniently overlooked and not responded to. Yet if we don't respond to regular nonsense "they win the argument".

I waited until now to reply because I didn't think that you really believed this BS. But it looks like you might believe in almost anything fedex tells you. See my previous post. I have been contracting with multiple companies since 1978, and have only worked for companies that pay the insurance while on duty.

It will be fine

I waited until now to reply because I didn't think that you really believed this BS. But it looks like you might believe in almost anything fedex tells you. See my previous post. I have been contracting with multiple companies since 1978, and have only worked for companies that pay the insurance while on duty.
So these other companies allow you to moonlight and carry other freight while under their insurance?

dmac1

I carried packages for as many as 4 companies at the same time working between KCMO and St. Joe. 4 separate contracts. I was truly independent, and not totally dependent on one customer. No demands about who could drive my van, as long as packages got delivered by day's end. I had commercial insurance just like you do with fedex, but the various companies ALL paid for cargo insurance on their deliveries.

It will be fine

I carried packages for as many as 4 companies at the same time working between KCMO and St. Joe. 4 separate contracts. I was truly independent, and not totally dependent on one customer. No demands about who could drive my van, as long as packages got delivered by day's end. I had commercial insurance just like you do with fedex, but the various companies ALL paid for cargo insurance on their deliveries.
So if you had an accident, which company's insurance got to pick up the tab?

It will be fine

You ARE slow, aren't you? My vehicle insurance covered the damage, their insurance covered the loss of any cargo.
The FedEx Ground insurance covers property damage while under dispatch. So your claim about being under the company's insurance is misleading. It was a different coverage than what we are covered by.

dmac1

The FedEx Ground insurance covers property damage while under dispatch. So your claim about being under the company's insurance is misleading. It was a different coverage than what we are covered by.

YOU pay for the insurance, whether through fedex or your own carrier. You seem confused about who pays for your insurance. In my case, I didn't need cargo insurance.

bbsam

Staff member
YOU pay for the insurance, whether through fedex or your own carrier. You seem confused about who pays for your insurance. In my case, I didn't need cargo insurance.
We do not pay for indemnity insurance. You obviously don't not know what you are talking about.

Bounty

We do not pay for indemnity insurance. You obviously don't not know what you are talking about.
You try to ignore the real issue. Dmac is explaining the difference of being independent and being "contracted" with X. I'll break it down for you. YOU ARE not independent.

It will be fine

FedEx self-insures for general liability, automobile personal injury, property damage and cargo loss and damage while my vehicles are performing service. I don't pay FedEx for this coverage. I carry insurance on my trucks for when they are used outside of FedEx. It's not really that complicated.

bbsam

Staff member
You try to ignore the real issue. Dmac is explaining the difference of being independent and being "contracted" with X. I'll break it down for you. YOU ARE not independent.
I'm willing to say maybe we are and maybe we aren't since courts have so far refused to order X to treat us going forward as employees. Your.statement, on the other hand, is both arrogant and presumptuous. And if dmac wants.to give specific examples of why we are not contractors, he should use true examples and at the very least know the terminology.