Looking for some insight on purchasing and running a ground route

bbsam

Staff member
Now this isn't going to happen tomorrow or the next day but some day the flagrant and pervasive pattern of contract and labor law violations will finds it's way to a federal grand jury. It's only a matter of time and when it does you can rest assured that X will not come to the defense of contractors because that's just not their way of doing business. They will be too preoccupied with their own legal battles to worry about some little contractor.
I'm kinda looking forward to this. X is never going to give up on contracting. That's one reason I insist on "by the book". I intend to be one of the few (if not the only) left in our building in about fifteen years.

It will be fine

For those of us not in the ISP model yet, could you expand on that? What changed for you/them after IC?
It's mostly a scale issue. If you go from owning 1-3 routes to 6-10 it's not worth risking your whole company to save a few thousand dollars on shady payroll. With the increase in revenue, there's more room to do things properly and still make money for yourself. There are still guys that are shady and cut corners, pay cash under the table etc. but it seems to be far fewer than before. I could also be naive and everyone is super shady and just lies to me about it, I just don't see it being worthwhile in the long run.

bacha29

The temptation to cheat wouldn't be there if there was enough money available. I'm not going to get into a stupid argument over who is the better manager. The simple fact of the matter is that success is measured to a greater extent in this line of work by the demographics and economic strength of a given service area. A guy like IWBF who works in an area where his tires never come in contact with an unpaved surface , where more people live in a 2 or 3 block area than that which are found in some contractors entire rural service area cannot stand in judgement of how that guy operates in his area or the degree of his success. In fact a multi route contractor at the terminal I was at has been indicted on as many as 80 counts in each of 4 specific charges involving unlawful activity. If your back is up against the wall because the bank is on the other side trying to knock it down, then as they say,desperate times call for desperate measures

dvalleyjim

Don't do it. Although I notice that my owner and his manager don't know what their doing so WT H. If you got a lot of cash and can throw it into the FX hole you can probably get 3-8% on you investment. Not bad. My owner has no idea what he is doing or what we do but his manager runs the operations. So if you got a steady to run your operations and cut a manager in maybe you can do better than most investments currently going under or "new economy". Just be willing to lose everything!