Looking to start a new career, is this the right place?

UPSHopeful

So I know this site is pretty anti management which is fine, I'm mainly interested in management because I've had a little experience with it, and enjoy helping and teaching others.

I'm going into my mid 20s and looking for a career, I want to be able to make enough to provide a nice life for myself and my family, UPS was hiring and I applied and pretty much instantly was given a job as a pt small sort. The building I'm in has been very recently expanded with a 220+ million dollar project, and there's a lot of management openings. All my managers have been friendly, and HR has been really chill, I've read a lot of harsh stories about :censored2:ty managers and was wondering if it might be regional or something? I'm in Ohio and so far it's been pretty cool, I took the AP or mapp test and passed (not sure how you could fail tbh). I'm trying to figure out what would be better in the long term, I don't really like driving, and I can't drive stick so I don't think being a driver would be a good fit for me.

Any advice on what steps to take to grow in the company, or if not management or driver, what's a good steady career path in the company?

OrionIsDaddy

Part time sup is 99% of the time dead end job. You will be managing people making 3 times your hourly. You will get yelled at from both sides of the belt, the union employees and upper management.

Not downplaying your experience or goals but they will hire anyone with a pulse as a pts

rod

Retired 22 years
Spend a few hours on here reading the posts. Afterwards if you still want to enter the world of UPS management "May God have mercy on your soul" . Then again you won't have a soul left so maybe it will work out for you.

j13501

Any advice on what steps to take to grow in the company, or if not management or driver, what's a good steady career path in the company?

If you don't have a degree, than it will be difficult for you to move into management from a hub part time supervisor's position. Not impossible, but difficult. I've worked in hubs that actively developed and promoted part time supervisors to full time positions, but I've also worked in buildings where part time supervisors were invisible, unless you were a member of an under represented demographic.
You said that you don't like driving, but this is a delivery company and the best paid hourly jobs are delivery drivers. The only other career paths need special skills, like being an automotive or aircraft mechanic.
Sorry this isn't more help, but good luck with your decision.

UPSHopeful

If you don't have a degree, than it will be difficult for you to move into management from a hub part time supervisor's position. Not impossible, but difficult. I've worked in hubs that actively developed and promoted part time supervisors to full time positions, but I've also worked in buildings where part time supervisors were invisible, unless you were a member of an under represented demographic.
You said that you don't like driving, but this is a delivery company and the best paid hourly jobs are delivery drivers. The only other career paths need special skills, like being an automotive or aircraft mechanic.
Sorry this isn't more help, but good luck with your decision.

Alright thank you for the information, this just might not be a place for me, the management experience I’ve had has been in the medical field, and in a much smaller setting. Everyone is pretty nice st my hub, I might try to stick it out and see how things go, but I’m not feeling very hopeful that this will be my career.

UPSHopeful

Not enough for what they make you go through. Pay probably varies. I have a member of my family who knows for sure. I'll ask him and get back.
Alright thank you!

I'm still in training for small sort and yesterday the person I was with started to fight with the training sup and yelling about how she trained him and telling him to leave her alone, this went on and off for like 2 hours, and then the ft sup and some others took her away. Another supervisor was going around to see if we had any questions and kinda cautioned be about being management, and said it goes more smoothly if you spend time in the positions you'd be the sup of since it builds respect. It feels like there's a pretty big divide between management and union