Looks like the market smelled bull-squeeze at the Transformation Conference

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Can't wait to see some poor guy peddling around with a full bedroom set and mattress. Gonna be some sore calves.
I remember when IE came up with the bright idea of bike helpers on my route.
By the time I had hooked up and dropped off his pup trailer, went through his load to deliver the irregs that couldn’t be delivered on a bike and then drove back there to retrieve the trailer at the end of the day, he was costing me more time and miles than he saved me.
And that was when everything went as planned and the bike didnt get a flat tire or we didnt get 4” of snow.
The final year of the program, IE shoved a quota down our throats and forced us to use a predetermined number of bike helpers.
So in my area we just parked the bike (which had a flat tire and a busted brake cable anyway) used the bike helper as a conventional on-car helper, and coded his time card to make it look like he was still riding the bike.
We got the work done, and IE got the make-believe metric they were chasing for their report. Win/win.

soberups

Then things will stay as they are

No incentive to fix it if it appears to be working

Just sayin
In my case it does not appear to be working because I am not following it. They are not getting the compliance metric that they are chasing.
And in any case it is a moot point. They are not willing to fix it, and even if they were it wouldn’t matter because it cannot be fixed. The only viable solution is to abandon it completely and go back to what actually works which is RDO. But that will never happen either because they have spent the money on it and they have to make believe that it works in order to justify the expense.
For management, questioning the validity of ORION is the the same thing as a North Korean questioning the judgement of Kim Jong Un. They dare not speak the truth, no matter how obvious it may be. The safe play is to just bow and tell the Dear Leader whatever he wants to hear.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Definitely IE. I'd like to see some of you guys come show me how to run my route in the 8.2 hours that you have allotted for me. Can't seem to get done in less than 9. My poor ORS is going to have a stroke.

Just do the job safely. Tell your ORS to demonstrate how to finish your route in 8.2 hours. Also, if he or she offers you Kool Aid - run...

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I remember when IE came up with the bright idea of bike helpers on my route.
By the time I had hooked up and dropped off his pup trailer, went through his load to deliver the irregs that couldn’t be delivered on a bike and then drove back there to retrieve the trailer at the end of the day, he was costing me more time and miles than he saved me.
And that was when everything went as planned and the bike didnt get a flat tire or we didnt get 4” of snow.
The final year of the program, IE shoved a quota down our throats and forced us to use a predetermined number of bike helpers.
So in my area we just parked the bike (which had a flat tire and a busted brake cable anyway) used the bike helper as a conventional on-car helper, and coded his time card to make it look like he was still riding the bike.
We got the work done, and IE got the make-believe metric they were chasing for their report. Win/win.
Which made UPS think bikers was successful and productive ... nice.

soberups

Which made UPS think bikers was successful and productive ... nice.
Forced stupidity for the sake of generating meaningless compliance metrics has been the very foundation of UPS’s business model for over 100 years.
It is the core component that sets us apart from our competition.
It’s what we do.